Sailing out of NYC-Any tips?

emksb

Thanks for the good question and everyones tips First time cruiser on 5/15 too!, mommy of 3 little boys, I'll stock up in case as well!

Welcome aboard. Come join us on our roll call. It is the group cruise board but we are pretty good friends by now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=987404

Welcome to CC and glad you'll be sailing with us!:) As Deb said, please stop by and say hi to the rest of the gang!;) Anyone else sailing with us?!!:D

Cruising the next week 5/15 to eastern caribe...Garnd Turk,HMC and nassua, i did not know Miracle is going to Freeport....Any time you leave the North East and into the North Atlantic you have to be prepared for at least one night of rough seas...did this on legend about 6 years ago ....has rough seas leaving NYC till about the next afternoon....take sea sick meds..just in case....watch for Ellis island and staue of Liberty, it is moving to see ground zero....staten island ferry...verrazano narrows bridge...all the ships anchored off the city waiting there turn....the intrepid......have fun and take care of here for the next set of cruisers....:cool:

Your right. I wish I could keep this stuff striaght, but it is busy season for me so sometimes I go a little nuts:D

Without a doubt .....CAB CAB CAB....you will be waiting forever for the bus to fill up. When we went in 2007 from NYC we booked the Carnival transfer and we waited on the bus for hours wating for a total of 20 ppl.

Any Idea how much to expect for a fare from LGA to the pier?

We are doing the Miracle the next week May 15th please do not tell me that the waters are rough that time of year! I take Bonine anyway ( never get seaick, I lose my equilibrium when the seas are rough) please tell me it is not that bad. The last time I cruised out of NY was with my parents on the Michaelangelo about 45 years ago! We live right across the Hudson River and thought it would be nice not to fly for a change. Only 10 minutes and we are at the port. Am I going to regret this decision??

No,I think you will be fine. The ocean is just not as smooth as the carib, that's all.

Hey,

I've cruised 2x out of NY.....both times to Canada. The last one we followed a hurricane up.

The boat was rocky....but certainly not to bad.

Are the seas "rougher" travelling Southbound. I'm cruising the Miracle out of Ny in June....and am now wondering if it is rockier going south????

thanks

K

I've been reading this thread and the responses made me wonder...how rough are the seas on the first/last day of that itinerary in July?

I don't get seasick that much and neither does my soon-to-be-DW; we're just curious what the seas will be like.

Thanks!

I've cruised out of NYC 15 times and NEVER have we experienced rough seas within a day or 2 of NY...either going or coming. The only cruises not out of NY were the 2 Glory cruises & the New Years Eve cruise on the Majesty. You can see the dates in my signature...only once, however, in July...but that was fine as well. We'll be cruising out of NY again on the Miracle (love that ship) in just under 2 months.

I just can't imagine what people are considering "rough" seas. I did a review of the Majesty cruise (can be found in the review section here at CC)...and THAT was a rough one. Complete with all the bottles falling and breaking in the parfumerie & the liquor store on board, the staff having to put up ropes for passengers to hold on to while walking, closing the outside decks! And that went on for 2 1/2 days!

And, to the OP...enjoy your cruise out of NYC. It's a fabulous experience. Keep your camera close at sailaway for photo ops of Lady Liberty and passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. And when you return to NYC the starboard view at dawn is spectacular.

I've been reading this thread and the responses made me wonder...how rough are the seas on the first/last day of that itinerary in July?

I don't get seasick that much and neither does my soon-to-be-DW; we're just curious what the seas will be like.

Thanks!

When we did this cruise in July last year the seas weren't bad. The only time we noticed any significant motion was off Cape Hatteras.

Miracle is a great ship, we will be sailing out of ny again on her may23rd to san juan, st thomas and grand turk. get on as early as you can to explore the ship then get topside as soon as it starts moving to catch pictures of lady liberty, ellis island the bridges and skyline etc.

we have taken 3 cruises out of nyc Miracle was the least rocky followed by Voyager of the Seas and Victory was rough but it was also right after Victory had ran into the dock:eek:

we have always used ginger instead of bonine or anything because it doesnt make us groggy or sleepy

Miracle is a great ship, we will be sailing out of ny again on her may23rd to san juan, st thomas and grand turk. get on as early as you can to explore the ship then get topside as soon as it starts moving to catch pictures of lady liberty, ellis island the bridges and skyline etc.

we have taken 3 cruises out of nyc Miracle was the least rocky followed by Voyager of the Seas and Victory was rough but it was also right after Victory had ran into the dock:eek:

we have always used ginger instead of bonine or anything because it doesnt make us groggy or sleepy

Thank for all the great replies... please keep them coming

I was a family of four visiting Grandma in NJ. We drove. Can't answer question about LGA, but if you get there early, I would recommend getting to the ship as soon as possible, handing your luggage to the porters, and go shopping or visit the "Intrepid" musuem next door. You want buy wine, you can walk toward the port of authority transportation hub on the corner of 42nd Street and 8th Ave. You will find l places to buy wine etc on your walk. Just remember, you are walking in the streets of NYC, so pay attention, walk only on the main Streets, and remember the street corner your ship is on. All streets and avenues go in number order. Taxis are not cheap, but many do accept credit cards. Buses are easy and cheap, but wit luggage, will be a giant pain. While you are there and walking around, eat a hot dog, they are great, or a pretzel from an outside vendor. :D Please don't forget to get back to the ship, and I would suggest at least 2 hours before it leaves.

I went to Canada in June, and it was cold. Not freezing, but cold. We did wear light jackets, and yes, it was cold on the ship and no one was swimming. It was foggy, but it was smooth sailing. I would suggest packing some warmer items just in case.

Don't eat at the dock, at the snack bar, will be a waste of money, since you are so close to getting on the ship (please note, this is not the same as a nathens hot dog or pretzel from a vendor, since you are only eating it for the fun of it;)

I agree with some others here. I have sailed out of NY 4 times and twice on the Miracle. Ive had rougher seas in the Caribbean. Each time I have sailed its different. You may have some rocking for part a day, but its usually temporary and not too bad. The Miracle is an awesome ship- you will have fun! Enjoy!

this is our 1st time cruising and we will be leaving in july out of ny and we are from long island, what is our best way to get there. is there parking to leave our car or should we take private transportation
Parking at the pier is about $30/day. We usually get dropped off!;)

this is our 1st time cruising and we will be leaving in july out of ny and we are from long island, what is our best way to get there. is there parking to leave our car or should we take private transportation

We thought we were smart and figured the shortest route was the LIE to the midtown tunnel, and then across town.

OMG.....it took forever.

The next time after that, we took the LIE to the Cross Island, to the TNB, to the Cross Bronx, and then down the West Side Highway.

After that, we moved west of the Hudson River. Couldn't take that LI traffic any more.

Whenever we've priced parking vs private transportation, parking was always cheaper. If you can find someone to drive you, that is obviously the cheapest, even if you throw a couple of bucks at them.

Depending on the direction your coming from, the easiest way to/from the pier is by taking the free 59th street bridge/queensborough bride. Then it just matter of making the right turns onto 54th street and up the viaduct

Archived