Group Cruise - What to Expect? Stories?

cpizzull

I've been planning our first, and probably last (ha), group/family cruise. There will be 20 of us going from basically 3 different family trees. I was curious if the stress is going to go away when I get on the ship or get worse! LOL I have the feeling that being the experienced cruiser, everyone will be following, which is fine as long as I'm not waiting all the time.

Anyway, just curious about your stories, experiences, and anecdotes.

Thx, and of course, a bad at a sea will still beat a good day at work!

I would NEVER take on the role of leader on vacation....it would drive me nuts. There are always laggers, and complainers and whiners.....(that might be me!!) so if everyone is planning to do everything as a group, watch out.

I would make it clear that EVERYONE should make their own plans for each day. If what they want to do overlaps with what you (or someone else) is enjoying, then fine. But, I would hate to have to wait for the slowpokes, or have to run to keep up with the "speedy Gonzales'"....plan to meet at dinner and compare your adventures. Other than that, everyone (yes, even the 1st timers can figure out what to do that will be fun for them) should "go their own way".

We cruised in December for Christmas with 14 family members. There were 4 different families in our group. We had 7 cabins all on the same deck. We had a great time! As the PP suggested...no one took on the role of leader...and my mother-in-law highly stressed that the only requirement was that we all eat dinner together. All day activities/excursion/etc...were on our own. We did, prior to cruising, email certain excursions and such out to everyone...just to give them a "heads-up" of what we were thinking about doing. As it turns out...we ran into each other all over the place on Sea Days! We also all ended up booking Nachi Cocom together in Cozumel - that was an awesome day!

I guess that making only a few mandatory meet-up requirements made for a more relaxing time and less stress. Also we were able to do what my crew enjoys doing AND have some fun with the entire group. It's a tough rope to walk, but it can be done! :D This is just a suggestion...but, email all parties as much info. as you can about cruising, the ship, what to expect, excursions, etc... Let them figure out some of this also...it will take the pressure off of you somewhat...

Crystal

BTW...on a shorter cruise...we had two families cruising with us...they did everything with us...no research...just followed along. We had a good time...but would have liked to have a few moments with just my crew...and not to have to do the waiting and scheduling thing with others.

were doing something similar this summer - about 25 of us in 9 or 10 cabin spread all over the ship

all I know is I'm not spending my vacation waiting around for other people to figure out what they want to do

I plan to take a "we'll be out at the flowrider at 10:00 AM if you want to meet us" kind of approach

I think one thing that will take away most of the stress is to allow people the freedom to do their own thing and plan their own activities. If everyone has the chance to go their separate ways during the day, but plans to get together at dinner, it will provide together time and keep people from getting sick of each other. That way there are no hard feelings if someone wants to do something no one else wants to do. Don't put yourself under the pressure that everyone has to be together all the time.

Enjoy your vacation.

November will be our 3rd family trip!!! My mom & I do most of the planning and research and getting questions answered. I love doing it, so no stress on me. The first one was stressful, lived and learned!! The second one and this one.....only requirement is we all eat dinner together!! Last year (4 rooms) and this year (5 rooms) we have rooms all in a row, so we can open the balconies!! It was nice, just close your curtains. You didn't have to call from room to room. Didn't have to run around the rooms in the hallway. Everyone was free to do what they wanted. We did as the PP did, we all shared what excursions each was doing and if people wanted to do the same things, they booked times together. Some did things on there own too! I did the Zipline in Labadee, my hubby & dad did parasailing...we all did the jet skis! It was a ton of fun being with the whole family!!!! This year it is me, hubby & DS (7). My mom & dad. My sister and nephew (7). My cousin. My Aunt & her friend. Friends that are as close to being siblings, minus the blood!

You will have a ball!! Don't fret the small stuff!!!

Thanks for the replies and stories. Seems like I'm of the same mindset.

Because most of our group are first timers, I have provided tons of notes and most of the TA conversation. It was probably a bit more stressful for me since we had people flip flopping over time, not to mention, the whole thing is a surprise for the kids (they know about going on a cruise though, just not who). We all only see each other maybe once per year, so I think the urge to spend 24x7 will be there, ha. I've already laid out the plans of where I'm going and people can join me there, but I'm certainly not waiting. And we do have plans to sit close together at dinner. I'll fill you in when I return in a few weeks to see if I pushed anybody overboard. ;o)

It depends on your group. I always thought cruising with a group of family/friends would be fun. It turned into a disaster before we even got close to final payment.

The "everyone do their own thing" approach failed. While everyone bought into this idea when we BOOKED, later some of the people expressed that they were attached to the idea of doing everything as a group. Unfortunately, those togetherness fans were also the procrastinators, meaning no one got to plan anything. I was sure the situation would end up being: "What do you want to do today? I don't know, what do you want to do?" It caused enormous strife. NEVER AGAIN!!!

If you do this, particularly if the group sees you as the leader or the expert, set the boundaries UP FRONT, and STICK to them. Don't let anyone try to reformulate the plan. It won't just ruin your vacation, it could seriously tarnish your relationships.

printingchick,

That is exactly the type of story I figured existed. ;o)

I've already sent a warning shot, and have told the wife, that I'll be doing my thing, whether she wants to join or wait for others. LOL Should be interesting!

Also, even if you don't have procrastinators, the mere fact of now trying to meet 10+ people at a certain time is stress enough, ha. I think I just need to go in with a total 'good' mindset, and drink regularly. Honestly!

kinds of reminds me of when we used to go on ski trips - somebody would always spend way too much time trying to meet up with other people

"we have to go to the bottom of chair 4 to wait for these guys I know from work, then we have to meet my other friends near the lodge at 1:00"

the hell I do, I paid $60 for a lift ticket, you can spend your whole day looking for some people you see 5 days a weeks already, I'm hitting slopes

Also, even if you don't have procrastinators, the mere fact of now trying to meet 10+ people at a certain time is stress enough, ha. I think I just need to go in with a total 'good' mindset, and drink regularly. Honestly!

That was my strategy! A drink before the meeting time, a drink during the activity/excursion and POOF...no more stress! :D Works like a charm!

Crystal

I have been the "leader" for a couple of group cruises. I told everyone from the beginning that we all should do our own thing during the day. Not everyone is interested in the same things so it wouldn't be fair to "make" someone do something they did not want to do. As others have said, if everyone wants to the same say, shore excursion, that's okay but encourage people to try different things. Encourage everyone to explore the ship on the first day so they get a feel for things. By explore the ship I don't mean walk to the Windjammer then the pool then the Schooner bar. By exploring the ship, I mean walk every deck from end to end. There are so many things on the ship to see. I hate when I get home and I mention a specific place on the ship i.e. a certain bar or the library or even the Viking Crown lounge and someone will say "where was that? I didn't know that was there" If they had spent an hour exploring, they would have known.

We always dine at the same time so we can compare what each other did that day. But, if certain people want to eat at different times, encourage them to do so. We all ate at the early seating then some of us would go to the show and others wouldn't. Sometimes we met up at a bar after the show and all had a drink together. Again, everyone did what they wanted to do.

Everyone is going to look to you for some leadership. Help them out but you don't have to hold their hand to help them have a good time. If they don't enjoy themselves, they are going to blame it on you. Suggest things to do. If they don't try it, shame on them. Turn it around ahead of time by suggesting things for them to do without you. If they don't have a good time then it becomes their fault. You simply say, "I told you to try this or that and you didn't"

Another thing I did is had everyone get together a few weeks before the cruise. We got on line and looked at shore excursions at the various ports. If we found something we wanted to do, we would book it. Again, some people would one do thing and others would do something else.

Bottom line is, don't let the cling ons spoil your vacation. Tell them that this is your vacation too and you want to have some fun doing whatever. If they want to tag along fine. If they don't, that's fine too. Go and have your fun.

Last cruise, friends joined us, and because we were on a Roll Call and already had planned activities, they were welcome to join in and could also go off and do what they wanted to do. For all the planned activities, we put down the Date & time on the Community Board near guest relations, so whoever showed up, participated. This way we weren't waiting around on people.

I should say that personally I don't like big group tour and I hate to be the leader. But life often goes the other way, every time I plan a trip, some of my friends would like to join and they never thought about any details about the trip but by saying "we'll follow you". I know it's probably I was a tour guide and really a good and professional one. But to me, that's my job, I have to. To vacation, I'd love to relax and enjoy with the family or very closed friends, not like a party thing.

I felt tired to be a leader and I can understand every leader's feeling from the bottom of my heart. Hard work indeed.

Wish everone enjoy your life and your trip.

Archived