Canadian and Visa Requirments

You do not need a visa for Venice, I do not know about Croatia (we only spent part of one day there), and for Turkey, you need a visa if you are staying overnight off your ship or starting or ending your cruise there.

Easy to get a visa at the airport in Istanbul if you are arriving there, with a booth just to the left of the immigration/passport lines.

The most up-to-date information would be on your Canadian government website. I always check the US government website before I travel.

You do not need a visa for Venice, I do not know about Croatia (we only spent part of one day there), and for Turkey, you need a visa if you are staying overnight off your ship or starting or ending your cruise there.

Easy to get a visa at the airport in Istanbul if you are arriving there, with a booth just to the left of the immigration/passport lines.

The most up-to-date information would be on your Canadian government website. I always check the US government website before I travel.

Thanks for your info. Our gov't website is pretty vague.

So far I have found the info on Croatia and Venice that you don't need a visa, as for Turkey I have to search further but I think the cruise line (NCL ) may handle them.

Further to my last email, this is the response I got to my inquiry regarding Visas from the Canadian Embassy in Ankara: "the ship crew will inform yu upon arrival at the Turkish port. Normally, passengers are issued disembarkation cards by the cruise liner in lieu of passports. Having said this, visas are required in most other instances and can be obtained upon arrival at the port of entry." Also, according to the Canadian Government website, only passports are required for Croatia.

The information I was able to find on the Canadian government website is that PASSPORTS are required to be at least 6 months from expiry for visiting Turkey. Visas not required.

Here is what is quoted on website

4. ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS

A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit Turkey. The passport must be valid for at least six months following the issuance of the visa. Whatever the purpose of their stay (work, tourism, business, studies), Canadians should be in possession of a visa obtained at the nearest Turkish embassy or consulate or upon arrival at any Turkish point of entry. Those overstaying the duration of their visa should expect to pay substantial fines.

So visa's ARE needed for Turkey.

I also heard back from NCL and their answer (which I didn't like) was if your doing a "ship excursion" then you will be issued a visa with your excursion ticket otherwise your on your own.

I get my back up when I'm forced into situations like this and because of it I won't do a ship excursion just out of spite.

So now I'm in search of the correct process as I have never had to get a visa before and I don't want to be caught in any unfortunate situation.

Thanks for your input.

Hi again, as per the response to my inquiry from the Canadian Embassy in Ankara, you can get a Visa from the authorities when you get off the ship in Izmir if you are not doing a ship's tour.

Here is what I just rec'd from NCL after posting earlier

I dug around and found some information for you. Remember that this can change depending on the Turkish government.

· Turkey

Turkish visas are not required for voyages where the Turkish port falls in the middle of the voyage (the requirement is only for guests embarking/debarking in a Turkish port).

You are considered in transit. Thanks vicJ

Hey Alberta! So I guess I'm satisfied with the answers. I just didn't want to be refused at the port for not having correct paperwork. Again thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a bit over a year since we stopped in Istanbul during a cruise. If you are Canadian and are only doing a port stop while cruising (ours was an overnight stop), you don't need a visa. We were issued Visitor Cards that were distributed by the cruiseline. We retained them until we were finished our touring and deposited them into a bin when we reboarded the ship for the final time. My understanding is that a visa is only required if you begin or end your cruise in Turkey.

Archived