Snow On Board The QM2 - 11/29/2009

Trainman52

What a load of pretentious claptrap...Honestly. Its not like they herded everyone out of the public rooms and staterooms and made them stand there while the snow machine did its thing...

You know, if I was new to Cunard or contemplating a Cunard cruise and read some of the effete snobbery that's prevalent here it would put me off way more than a 2 minute fake snow machine ever would.

What a load of pretentious claptrap...Honestly. Its not like they herded everyone out of the public rooms and staterooms and made them stand there while the snow machine did its thing...

You know, if I was new to Cunard or contemplating a Cunard cruise and read some of the effete snobbery that's prevalent here it would put me off way more than a 2 minute fake snow machine ever would.

Well said.

I usually try to avoid any confrontation on CC by making adverse comments but here goes.

I eventually succumbed and watched the video.

I then showed my daughter so that she could see a bit of QM2 and she thought it looked 'quite pretty' ... when it eventually arrived. I have to say it wasn't at all as crass as I had believed from the posts here.

I am wondering if there is a word 'mob' which I don't understand.

If most passengers turn up to view an event, does that count as a 'mob'?

Snob seems a more appropriate word in this case but I don't mean pertaining to the snow scene .

We are talking about a few minutes out of several days of sales; karaoke; bingo ; self service meals ... often not to everyone's taste or expectations of QM2 so what is so wrong here?

I personally think the 'snow' was too early- not yet the season but I am sure, had I been there, I would have entered into the spirit and maybe even enjoyed it.

I usually try to avoid any confrontation on CC by making adverse comments but here goes.

I eventually succumbed and watched the video.

I then showed my daughter so that she could see a bit of QM2 and she thought it looked 'quite pretty' ... when it eventually arrived. I have to say it wasn't at all as crass as I had believed from the posts here.

I am wondering if there is a word 'mob' which I don't understand.

If most passengers turn up to view an event, does that count as a 'mob'?

Snob seems a more appropriate word in this case but I don't mean pertaining to the snow scene .

We are talking about a few minutes out of several days of sales; karaoke; bingo ; self service meals ... often not to everyone's taste or expectations of QM2 so what is so wrong here?

I personally think the 'snow' was too early- not yet the season but I am sure, had I been there, I would have entered into the spirit and maybe even enjoyed it.

well put, may I say the word Mob was so wrong, it was a great event the kids loved it, the few on who put it down did not see it at all, it was as you a short event out of a 3 week voyage and it was rea;;y a test for the christmas cruise, so yes a touch early.

Thanks Trainman for posting the video - Hi Rob, Robin, Hils, and Terry!

As one that does not do crowds, it was not a mob scene - everyone was enjoying the "snow" - took me a few minutes to figure out how they did it (think Lawrence Welk mixed with Don Ho).

The event was done after Thanksgiving (US) where here in the colonies, one does not send out Christmas cards until after that day, so with this Caribbean cruise starting/ending in New York, it was timed as it should have considering the end date of the cruise (11/30).

Another benefit of the video - showing how people were attired for the day - there are so many posts about what is appropriate for daywear - a picture is worth a thousand posts, I mean words.

Thanks again Trainman for the posting:D

Crane

Thanks Trainman for posting the video - Hi Rob, Robin, Hils, and Terry!

As one that does not do crowds, it was not a mob scene - everyone was enjoying the "snow" - took me a few minutes to figure out how they did it (think Lawrence Welk mixed with Don Ho).

The event was done after Thanksgiving (US) where here in the colonies, one does not send out Christmas cards until after that day, so with this Caribbean cruise starting/ending in New York, it was timed as it should have considering the end date of the cruise (11/30).

Another benefit of the video - showing how people were attired for the day - there are so many posts about what is appropriate for daywear - a picture is worth a thousand posts, I mean words.

Thanks again Trainman for the posting:D

Crane

How sad there are some nasty comments on here :(

But i expect no less. :eek:

By the way 99% of Christmas is fake but what a Wonderful time of the year for most people at sea or on land who want to enjoy it.

Fred.

Bah Humbug!

I found this interesting link to the Getty Images below, so step back to the glamourous days of ocean liner travel with the happy revellers enjoying the festive atmoshere in the 1st Class Restuarant on board Cunard's flagship, "RMS Berengaria", Christmas 1922...........

From the attire of the assembled "mob", it would appear to be a semi-formal evening......... Not much appears to have changed over the decades.

A prize goes to the one who can correctly identify QE2's longest serving inmate, sorry resident........... It's a tricky one.... :D

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/2668870/Hulton-Archive

You know, I really can't quite understand why everyone is getting so nasty about a little bit of snow, articficial or otherwise.

Who really gives a care!!!

Gail,

The difference of opinion, at least in my opinion, is that doing something like this is just another Carnivalesque type thing being done by Cunard. I fear it lends credence to some of the savvy person posts (yikes, never thought I'd say that:)).

doing something like this is just another Carnivalesque type thing being done by Cunard.

I am happy for those who enjoyed it, many of the greatest pleasures in life are truly simple.

However, I agree with Bettie that this hardly plays to Cunard's so-called 'Grand Ocean Liner Heritage'.

And the defence that 'I enjoyed it, so it must be allright, and anyone who disagrees with me is a snob' won't cut it - it does not address the question of whether this is consistent with Cunard's 'Heritage' marketing. If we won't hold their feet to the fire, who will?

Whatever next? Whose got the biggest beer belly?

I am happy for those who enjoyed it, many of the greatest pleasures in life are truly simple.

However, I agree with Bettie that this hardly plays to Cunard's so-called 'Grand Ocean Liner Heritage'.

And the defence that 'I enjoyed it, so it must be allright, and anyone who disagrees with me is a snob' won't cut it - it does not address the question of whether this is consistent with Cunard's 'Heritage' marketing. If we won't hold their feet to the fire, who will?

Amen.

Thanks.

Hi Trainman, First let me thankyou for posting the video of snow on qm2, and thankyou to robin for e-mailing me to tell me.........

I am so happy to see the video as it was brilliant and even better because I was there!!! The snow was fabulous and to see all the guests of Cunard enjoying such a great occasion!!!!!

The music was beautiful, the snow magical and company brilliant, Crane, Rob, Robin!!!!

And lastly Trainman I am eternally grateful to you as I have made it to You Tube.....on QM2!!!!! yeeeehaaa!!!!

love and kisses to all

Macmooooooooo

Hi Trainman, First let me thankyou for posting the video of snow on qm2, and thankyou to robin for e-mailing me to tell me.........

I am so happy to see the video as it was brilliant and even better because I was there!!! The snow was fabulous and to see all the guests of Cunard enjoying such a great occasion!!!!!

The music was beautiful, the snow magical and company brilliant, Crane, Rob, Robin!!!!

And lastly Trainman I am eternally grateful to you as I have made it to You Tube.....on QM2!!!!! yeeeehaaa!!!!

love and kisses to all

Macmooooooooo

the pleasure was all ours meeting you both and crane and others and making such good friends with you.

Our wonderful new puppy says woof, and thanks for keeping on and on at me

well said , it may well be a 1st, it may well be a regular event, 100s enjoyed it and as you say your happy that they did, I am as well

So there we have it, for and against.

It looks as though most people thought the snow and the Christmas celebrations were a great idea and not cheap and tacky in any way.

Seems to me though that the snarky comments only came from those who were not actually there.

Sorry, but I beg to differ with your term snarky--and even take offense to it. As a civil society, we are allowed to be critics of things we do not agree with. Please note that the the name of this site is Cruise Critic. I do believe that all that had comments that do not agree with yours (and others) have been on the ship. Therefore, they can clearly see the event without having been there, and quite entitled to form an opinion.

All due respect to trainman for filming it and sharing it. Magical moments come in all shapes and sizes and it was very nice of you to share yours and those of the others who enjoyed it.

Jeanne

Archived