Beach Near Where the Planes Land

margord

What beach is it where the airplanes come in very close as they are landing? Also is there a restaurant or bar there where you can sit and enjoy watching the planes come in?

The beach area is called Maho and there is a nice beach restaurant bar right next to where the planes fly over. It used to be called Sunset Beach bar, but it changed ownership and I think it's called Sunset Bar now. When we were there two years ago, the restaurant served decent drinks and burgers [can't remember what else was on the menu] and they had a nice band playing too. You can either sit there or rent some chairs on the beach.

The beach area is called Maho and there is a nice beach restaurant bar right next to where the planes fly over. It used to be called Sunset Beach bar, but it changed ownership and I think it's called Sunset Bar now. When we were there two years ago, the restaurant served decent drinks and burgers [can't remember what else was on the menu] and they had a nice band playing too. You can either sit there or rent some chairs on the beach.

Thanks for the info.

Marilee

You will need to take a cab to the Sunset Beach Grill on Maho. It is great for swimming just be careful when planes are taking off! I think a cab will cost you about $24 each way per couple. The menu has a great selection of burgers with fries, coconut shrimp, chicken strips etc... service can be a little slow at the bar.

You will need to take a cab to the Sunset Beach Grill on Maho. It is great for swimming just be careful when planes are taking off! I think a cab will cost you about $24 each way per couple. The menu has a great selection of burgers with fries, coconut shrimp, chicken strips etc... service can be a little slow at the bar.

If you're cheap (like us) you can take the local bus for $2 p/p each way.;)

We thought the food we had at Sunset Bar & Grill was very good. We each had the caesar salad with grilled ahi and the fish was very fresh and nicely prepared. We washed it down with several beers while we spent 2-3 hours watching planes come in and take off.

I was just there a couple weeks ago. The Sunset Bar is a great spot. The water was extremely rough when we were there, and frankly- dangerous. People were getting slammed down by the waves and there were some struggles getting out.

Cab was $6pp three or more, was $18 for the cab with two +tip.

This was the ONLY reason, we went. Our priority was for a Tuesday port day, so to see KLM's 747 come in. :) I had three cruises to choose from and late booked three weeks prior.

The airport is the Princess Julianna Airport in Mahu.

Thanks for all the great information. I always heard about this place but never knew exactly where it was. Is there a certain time to be there? Do the planes come and go all day? I know with some smaller airports there are specific times that are better than other times.

Most of the largest planes are coming in from Europe, and arrive in the afternoon. We saw 2 747's (KLM and Corsair) arrive during our 2-3 hours there, between about noon and 2:30-3pm-ish. But there is airline traffic all day.

Most of the largest planes are coming in from Europe, and arrive in the afternoon. We saw 2 747's (KLM and Corsair) arrive during our 2-3 hours there, between about noon and 2:30-3pm-ish. But there is airline traffic all day.

The afternoon makes sense. Thanks

The afternoon makes sense. Thanks

If you do a search of this board, there was an overall schedule. KLM only brings in their 747 once a week on Tuesday. Corsair is the other operator who brings in a 747. Go to their web site.

If you do a search of this board, there was an overall schedule. KLM only brings in their 747 once a week on Tuesday. Corsair is the other operator who brings in a 747. Go to their web site.

Not sure why, but we were there on a Monday (Feb 1st) and KLM landed. Interestingly, it was not listed on the board that Sunset Bar & Grill puts up daily for the airline schedule.

• 7 months later...
I just love Sunset Beach! Here's my favourite video of me there!!! :D

I know I know I'm kind of an airplane geek. Oh well :rolleyes:

me too the wife and i got blasted by the KLM 747 on tuesday this week. The pilots were a riot waving at everyone on the beach and fence. Also 1 of the fed ex planes made a point of getting as close to the end of the runway with his turbo prop and let us have it. Defintitely the high point on our cruise..

me too the wife and i got blasted by the KLM 747 on tuesday this week. The pilots were a riot waving at everyone on the beach and fence. Also 1 of the fed ex planes made a point of getting as close to the end of the runway with his turbo prop and let us have it. Defintitely the high point on our cruise..

I have a funny video about that 747 too! Enjoy! :D Bonk!

Archived