Sailing with a large charter group on board - should we switch?

librarylady19

Since you ask, it's Pied Piper, a gay cruise group. Again, let me reiterate, the interests of the group are irrelevant; I'm just concerned about sheer numbers of pax and want to hear from others who may have experienced a large group cruise in the past on X or other lines. I truly hesitated about posting in the first place, but where else to get a good idea of what to expect but from other CC people.

Thanks.

Their was a large Pied Piper group on our Summit Cruise this past June. If I hadn't learned about it before hand from our Roll Call, I would have realized it at all.

Due to the sheer size of the group, I would definitely switch. It might truly impact your cruise in a negative way.

Hi George:) Sandi, (The OP) switched cruises a long time ago.

She and her hubby are going on Summit in December instead.

I can't wait to sail Solstice on 11/28. I hope I can find room at the Martini Bar...even though I don't drink martinis. I'm sure it'll be one of many fun spots onboard. Eight weeks from today!

Elizabeth

Hi George:) Sandi, (The OP) switched cruises a long time ago.

She and her hubby are going on Summit in December instead.

Thanks Lois. I had no idea that the OP had already switched as I kept reading her additional posts in this thread and they seemed to suggest that she was going on that cruise after all. I guess I was wrong. I think she made the right decision and I am basing my opinion ONLY on the size of the group, no other factors. It would appear to me that when you have any group of 700, they are likely to congregate in certain venues much more than a cruise that is made up mostly of non-group affiliated individuals. This could make things like crowding in lounges, shows, buffets more likely and thus impact the other travelers. That's JMHO.

I switched to the Summit 12/11 cruise based on price & itinerary. I was able to get a sky suite on Summit for less than AQ on Solstice. Also, the greater number of port days on Summit was more appealing to me. After reading all the pros and cons of traveling with this group, I had no qualms about this particular cruise. In fact, it sounded like it would be livelier than the usual X cruise!

Sandi -

so sad to hear you are not going oon this cruise! Was looking forward to showing you that having a group of +/-700 onboard could make for a BETTER cruise experience ;) Livelier lounges, More late night energy, etc. The ships lounges will actually be used in the manner that the planners had in mind!

For reference:

I have been on several PP group cruises. They try and schedule any group events during times when venues would not be in common use (mid-afternoon, late-night, etc) The shore excursions PP does are all booked through an independant contractor and should in no way impinge on the Celebrity offered excursions. The only group dining offered is for guests in the MDR on late seating. Specialty restaurant reservations are the same for members of the group as for any individual. Some bars will be livelier - Martini Bar from 6pm onwards, disco after dinner, etc. PP is a group of like minded GLBT travelers and their friends/family that tries to offer a balance between a small number group activities spaced throughout the sailing and mixing w/ the larger passenger base. The intent is to create a social and comfortable atmosphere for ALL - both in and out of the group.

They are VERY different from an affinity/corporate group that have come onboard to engage in specific activities (square dancing, bridge tournaments, ballroom dancing, educational/sales seminars, etc). Affinity groups tend to monopolize more public space on a more frequent basis than any sized PP group, or similar, would ever do - Private functions at peak hours, private dining events, etc.

I switched to the Summit 12/11 cruise based on price & itinerary. I was able to get a sky suite on Summit for less than AQ on Solstice. Also, the greater number of port days on Summit was more appealing to me. After reading all the pros and cons of traveling with this group, I had no qualms about this particular cruise. In fact, it sounded like it would be livelier than the usual X cruise!

Sandi,

So sorry you switched cruises after having read your entire thread.

But, even our fun group can not compete with Sky Suites and entire ports ;)

Have a marvelous cruise, and maybe next year ? ? :rolleyes:

Pied Piper has a Post-Thanksgiving cruise each year, as well as many others through the year on multiple cruise lines.

r.

Sandi, as I was reading this, you had me confused! I knew you were on the Summit, but.............

One of the worst cruises we were on was a HAL cruise with 750 poker players. They refused to dress on formal nights and were unkempt during the whole cruise. And they were everywhere!

I think Pied Piper sounds like a hoot and I'd love to be on a cruise with that group!

Sandi, as I was reading this, you had me confused! I knew you were on the Summit, but.............

One of the worst cruises we were on was a HAL cruise with 750 poker players. They refused to dress on formal nights and were unkempt during the whole cruise. And they were everywhere!

I think Pied Piper sounds like a hoot and I'd love to be on a cruise with that group!

Hi Esther,

I was surprised to see this thread resurface after several months! I do think it sounds like fun but hope the Summit will be a good decision. Going into it with an open mind!!

I am a straight lady in her mid 20's booked on this cruise with my boyfriend and my parents. Just discovered that PP will be on board. I only have one concern...will I be allowed to join in on the parties?! I want to come to midnight parties, comedy show, etc! Will I not be allowed if I'm not part of PP?

. . . . . ....will I be allowed to join in on the parties?! I want to come to midnight parties, comedy show, etc! Will I not be allowed if I'm not part of PP?

The way PP works is that no one else but the group can come to the events :(

One gay couple that was already booked on this cruise asked the same thing.

They ended up canceling their previous booking and made new reservations through PP :p

The shame of it all is that, outside the confines of the cruise, gay parties & shows are all about openness and inclusion.

Then there is the aspect that most non-gays that want to join us are a lot of fun themselves, so it is a two way street :cool:

None of this precludes partying together in all the bars and public spaces while onboard ;)

Most of our shore excursions are special to PP as well.

No matter how many, or few, of us end up onboard, we will be visible.

And, probably be the talk of the other passengers.

Hey, why not have a chat with the Maitre 'd, and ask to be seated next to one of our tables? I think we are all at the late seating, usually at large tables. This is at least for those who don't go with open dining.

r.

PS: You just might be able to sneak into the Midnight comedy show which will be in the main theater (with lots of entrances) ;)

Archived