Kenai Cruise from Anchorage in 1 day?

Travel_Maven

Against Budget Queen's Recommendation, we are planning a roundtrip excursion to Seward from Anchorage to do the 6-hr. Kenai Cruise. We have splurged for the Goldstar Rail service to make the VERY long day more comfortable. We leave Anchorage at 6:46am and don't arrive back in Anchorage until 10:15pm. I am curious to know if anyone out there has done this? We did consider taking the bus for the return (it gets back around 9:30pm), but the price difference between the roundtrip train and one-way train & bus was minimal - plus we can eat on the train and have comfortable seating for a nap. Any feedback from someone who has done Seward in a day would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

What are you planning to do the next day? Yes, I've done plenty of one day round trips to Seward, but I was driving and didn't 'kill' so much time on a slow train.

Thanks PennyAgain! :) We are being picked-up by the Magic Bus at 10:30am to go to Whittier to do PWS 4hr cruise before boarding our Princess Ship. We are staying at the Hotel Captain Cook.

Just curious why you don't rent a one way car (if Avis is still open in Whittier), drive yourself to Seward, spend the night in Seward, then drive yourself to Whittier the next morning. It is an easy drive with lots to see.

Sure seems like a lot of back and forth and back and forth on the same road. Your time will be better spent making other arrangements.

What are you planning to do the next day? Yes, I've done plenty of one day round trips to Seward, but I was driving and didn't 'kill' so much time on a slow train.

I do think it is different with a multi repeater, since we tend to skip over some areas that would be very interesting for less frequent visitors. Penny did you also do a Kenai Fjords boat tour with a one day Seward visit?? My point, all this touring is extremely exciting and worthwhile. Bunched all together, you just are not going to get the full advantage of it all.

Just my opinion. :)

Just curious why you don't rent a one way car (if Avis is still open in Whittier), drive yourself to Seward, spend the night in Seward, then drive yourself to Whittier the next morning. It is an easy drive with lots to see.

Sure seems like a lot of back and forth and back and forth on the same road. Your time will be better spent making other arrangements.

This may have already been suggested to them. They are looking for afirmative posts to go with their current plans.

This may have already been suggested to them. They are looking for afirmative posts to go with their current plans.

BQ,

I appreciate your input and have gotten lots of good information from you, however I don't think you can assume that we are "looking for affirmative posts" to go with our plans. Yes, you suggested that we spend the night in Seward but just because we didn't take your suggestion doesn't mean you need to assume anything. We have our reasons for not renting a car, driving and spending the night, then driving again to Whittier. You are obviously an experienced Alaska traveler and a fan of Seward but not everyone is able to or wants to take your advice on everything. All I'm interested in is some feedback on someone who has done what we are planning to do so just maybe we can be a little more prepared and informed on our plans. Thanks again for all your contributions to this board, but please don't "assume" you know our reasons for our questions.

I do think it is different with a multi repeater, since we tend to skip over some areas that would be very interesting for less frequent visitors. Penny did you also do a Kenai Fjords boat tour with a one day Seward visit?? My point, all this touring is extremely exciting and worthwhile. Bunched all together, you just are not going to get the full advantage of it all.

Just my opinion. :)

Surely did. Drove to Seward, did the boat and drove home. Of course I've driven down to Seward for lunch. Not a big deal for me.

Having the next day with another organized boat trip is a lot of boat time!

I was hoping the answer wasn't going to be 'Catching a flight home'.

Against Budget Queen's Recommendation, we are planning a roundtrip excursion to Seward from Anchorage to do the 6-hr. Kenai Cruise. We have splurged for the Goldstar Rail service to make the VERY long day more comfortable. We leave Anchorage at 6:46am and don't arrive back in Anchorage until 10:15pm. I am curious to know if anyone out there has done this? We did consider taking the bus for the return (it gets back around 9:30pm), but the price difference between the roundtrip train and one-way train & bus was minimal - plus we can eat on the train and have comfortable seating for a nap. Any feedback from someone who has done Seward in a day would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

Wife and I have done the one day trip several times and enjoyed it. We normally drive to Seward and spend the night but the train route is still worth your time even if it makes for a long day.

You get very little time in Seward to do anything but take the boat but the train trip is one of the most beautiful routes in Alaska (some think it is better than the run to Denali). Best of all, you don't have to deal with traffic. Goldstar Service is really nice too!

Travel_Maven,

I really don't understand why you are going to travel the same road three times in 2 days and NOT see anything. There is a LOT to see on that stretch of road and you will miss most of it. The train, while a beautiful trip, misses STOPPING at all the fascinating things along the road. You have your reasons to be sure, but I cannot imagine going up and down the same road 3 times and missing so much.

Surely did. Drove to Seward, did the boat and drove home. Of course I've driven down to Seward for lunch. Not a big deal for me.

Having the next day with another organized boat trip is a lot of boat time!

I was hoping the answer wasn't going to be 'Catching a flight home'.

I agree PennyAgain. It is a lot of boat time and hope it will be worth it. The PWS cruise was a last minute decision. The Kenai cruise was our first choice but then threw the short PWS cruise in because we're not sure when/if we will be back again and we have a whole day to use before our cruise leaves. We also have the first 2 days of sailing on the cruise. Hope we can recover from a hectic land schedule but also hope we won't be tired of "cruising." At least I know a 1 day Seward trip can be done. What is your opinion on the 4 hr. PWS cruise? Is it a repeat of kenai?

We did it in a day. A long, day, but was worth it. We took the Park Connection Bus down, the tour, and then the train back.

The train does give you some different scenery to look at, does have food and a bar, but the real point of the day was the Kenai Fjords tour, and the bus takes less time both coming and going.

The tour operator we went with out of Seward was bought out, which I think is a shame, because the boat and crew were really excellent.

For pictures from our day see here:

Page2 - Homewood Suites area, Renown tour - Bus to Seward, Seward area, Otters, Glaciers, Goats, Birds, Seals, Orcas

Page3 - Renown Tour - Orcas, False Penguins, Humpback, Puffins and other birds, Seals, Glacier, Train from Seward to Anchorage

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! Maybe I'm totally confused, but I didn't know the ride to Seward was the same as the ride to Whittier. :confused:

We chose the railroad to Seward for several reasons. First, to have the "train" experience, second, to let someone else do the "driving" so we can sit back, relax, and enjoy the views, and third, to keep from having to shelp luggage, find a place to eat, etc. My husband drives everywhere we go and totes luggage, etc. on our vacations all the time. I am hoping to give him a little break so he can "enjoy the ride" and not have to be responsible for all the logstics, etc. Also, by the time we pay for a hotel room and rent a one-way car, the expense was just about the same as the Goldstar Train service. In addition, if we went to all that trouble, we would want to have an entire day to explore Seward and the surrounding area...can't do that when we have to get back to Whittier. Also, the Magic Bus will be doing the driving to Whittier and stopping at 2-3 spots along the way. Maybe we are making a big mistake? Will discuss it with my husband once again.

I am thankful for all the responses and if I see any "red flags" to our plan after reading your responses, we can adjust! After all, isn't that what these boards are for?? Thanks again everyone. :)

Wife and I have done the one day trip several times and enjoyed it. We normally drive to Seward and spend the night but the train route is still worth your time even if it makes for a long day.

You get very little time in Seward to do anything but take the boat but the train trip is one of the most beautiful routes in Alaska (some think it is better than the run to Denali). Best of all, you don't have to deal with traffic. Goldstar Service is really nice too!

Thanks!

Glad to hear from someone who has actually done it!

We did it in a day. A long, day, but was worth it. We took the Park Connection Bus down, the tour, and then the train back.

The train does give you some different scenery to look at, does have food and a bar, but the real point of the day was the Kenai Fjords tour, and the bus takes less time both coming and going.

The tour operator we went with out of Seward was bought out, which I think is a shame, because the boat and crew were really excellent.

For pictures from our day see here:

Page2 - Homewood Suites area, Renown tour - Bus to Seward, Seward area, Otters, Glaciers, Goats, Birds, Seals, Orcas

Page3 - Renown Tour - Orcas, False Penguins, Humpback, Puffins and other birds, Seals, Glacier, Train from Seward to Anchorage

Thanks to you too!

Glad to hear from someone else who has done it in a day. Our focus is the cruise too.

The road starts out the same going out of Anchorage to the South. Alaska 1. It goes along Turnagain Arm. My opinion of the locale of Heaven on Earth! After you pass Girdwood, near Portage Glacier, the road to Whittier goes off on its own.

If you are going to Seward, you just keep driving along following the water on your right and then take the turning to Seward. You leave Turnagain Arm behind and keep driving until you get to Seward. From the point where the road goes to Whittier, you will have different scenery going to Seward.

Well this isn't a techical or brilliant description but I hope it makes the point.

I have walked much of the road along Turnagain Arm and have taken many photos. Just love the place. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Here's a little help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seward_Highway

The road starts out the same going out of Anchorage to the South. Alaska 1. It goes along Turnagain Arm. My opinion of the locale of Heaven on Earth! After you pass Girdwood, near Portage Glacier, the road to Whittier goes off on its own.

If you are going to Seward, you just keep driving along following the water on your right and then take the turning to Seward. You leave Turnagain Arm behind and keep driving until you get to Seward. From the point where the road goes to Whittier, you will have different scenery going to Seward.

Well this isn't a techical or brilliant description but I hope it makes the point.

I have walked much of the road along Turnagain Arm and have taken many photos. Just love the place. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Here's a little help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seward_Highway

Thanks a bunch PennyAgain! I will check it out! I guess we will get 3 looks at part of the route. Can't hurt...more chances to see wildlife? ;)

Another view. I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. It's just a long day so what. We have done the train and we have driven it. Wouldn't do it all in one day for me but so what.

Here's what you have a r/t ride with 1st class service on one of the if not the number one scenic train ride in the US and as I have read maybe in the world.

A Kenai Fjord 6 or maybe 6 1/2 tour of an absolute must see in Alaska and the train will drop you off across from the boat dock and pick you up there.

Great choice might do it my self. Take a lot of pictures stick them on the computer and enjoy for years.:D:D

Thanks a bunch PennyAgain! I will check it out! I guess we will get 3 looks at part of the route. Can't hurt...more chances to see wildlife? ;)

The part that is traveled 3 times is the most spectacular part. The chance of seeing the whales or the surfers or the bore tide very well will be slim on the train (you are on the wrong side of the road going down) and it will be probably be too late in the evening on the ride back to see much. You MAY see some sheep on the mountains by Alyeska. You will miss the truly spectacular views from the tram at Alyeska and the Alaska Conservation Center (where there are rescued bears, muskox, elk and caribou).

Where does the Magic Bus stop? Probably at Girdwood (by the ice cream/sandwich place), maybe at Beluga point. It is only about an hour ride to Whittier without stops.

JMHO, I would rent the car, take the latest Kenai Fjords 6 hours cruise, then the following morning take a leisurely drive from Seward to Whittier to go on your PWS cruise and board your ship.

Gertz has the idea of our original plan!

Okay, so the new question is which has the better sightseeing opportunities? Our priority is the Kenai Cruise but is the difference in the train route and the car route really that much? It seems like my research said the train route was more scenic...but maybe I got bad information? If my husband is willing to drive, what about traffic, road construction, etc? :confused:

All the reviews of the Magic Bus are great including the stops. Anyone here taken the Magic Bus to Whittier?

Thanks everyone!

I would not drive - the odds of falling asleep at the wheel after a long day are too great + your eyes should be focused on the road and not sightseeing.

The bus will drop you off even closer to the starting point than the train will.

Both the bus driver and (maybe) the naturalist on the train will point out sights and wildlife that you might not spot on your own.

Gertz has the idea of our original plan!

Okay, so the new question is which has the better sightseeing opportunities? Our priority is the Kenai Cruise but is the difference in the train route and the car route really that much? It seems like my research said the train route was more scenic...but maybe I got bad information? If my husband is willing to drive, what about traffic, road construction, etc? :confused:

All the reviews of the Magic Bus are great including the stops. Anyone here taken the Magic Bus to Whittier?

Thanks everyone!

I'm trying to decide how to describe the train vs road. They run parallel for some distance. BUT visualize a mountain to your left (southbound trip) with the ocean to your right down off the hill. The road runs along the ocean, the train runs along the mountain.

And the REAL bonus of driving-you can STOP at all the little lookout points along the road. See somebody surfing the bore tide-stop. See the beluga whales-stop. Go to the Wildlife Conservation Center on your way down. Can't do that on the train and I personally think while the ride and scenery is beautiful on the train, the sights you miss don't justify the train trip WHEN you have time.

The train goes slower than a car or a bus. It actually stops at scenic spots or where there is a big animal viewing. The train tracks go next to the road along Turnagain Arm. When you depart Turnagain Arm (you really need to look at a map!) the train has a ways it goes where there is no road and ends up in Seward.

I have seen sheep up on the steep mountain sides and moose and bear now and then. If you see a bunch of cars pulled over and people are all looking out into the water, they are likely seeing something interesting.

As I said higher up this thread, I adore Turnagain Arm. So consider the source of this information. Many people on the transfer buses run by the cruise lines SLEEP through Turnagain Arm. Too bad!

If you see an old woman, walking alone along Turnagain Arm....could be me!

In any case, remember the prime rule: do not go into the water or walk down on the tidal flats. That could kill you!

Let's see if this link works: http://alaska.org/maps/turnagain-arm-driving-map.htm

I would not drive - the odds of falling asleep at the wheel after a long day are too great + your eyes should be focused on the road and not sightseeing.

The bus will drop you off even closer to the starting point than the train will.

Both the bus driver and (maybe) the naturalist on the train will point out sights and wildlife that you might not spot on your own.

Don't worry, if we drove, we would spend the night. Thanks!:)

Thanks folks! I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both...as usual with this kind of decision. I may just leave it up to my husband and whether or not he wants to drive, take luggage, etc. If we change our plans and drive, I'm just not sure how much stopping we can do to make our Kenai Cruise in time and it looks like we will miss Turnagain Arm on the way back to Whittier from Seward. I will ponder all the good information you have given me, discuss with hubby and see if we think it is worth the change. If we don't change, at least we've made an informed decision! Thanks again everyone. I'm always willing to listen to new ideas so keep 'em coming. :):)

Archived