Kenai Cruise from Anchorage in 1 day?

Travel_Maven

One of the advantages to the train is the area between Portage and Trail Lakes which is not accessible by road. The route goes by several glaciers and a beautiful area known as Grandview.

Having lived in Alaska for 37 years, I've driven to Seward more times than I can count. It is a beautiful drive but the train trip is very relaxing and you don't have to worry about traffic and crazy drivers. The food can often be quite good as well.

One of the advantages to the train is the area between Portage and Trail Lakes which is not accessible by road. The route goes by several glaciers and a beautiful area known as Grandview.

Having lived in Alaska for 37 years, I've driven to Seward more times than I can count. It is a beautiful drive but the train trip is very relaxing and you don't have to worry about traffic and crazy drivers. The food can often be quite good as well.

Great! I think the relaxing part is a priority since we will be doing the Kenai cruise and it is such a long day. We can't do it all so I hope we will still see some great scenery and take away the stress of driving and worrying about being late for the cruise in Kenai.

For your priorities, stick with your original plan. I think you will have a fine time. Many of the regular posters on CC who have contributed to this thread, have failed to mention the one thing they so often do: They often tell us that if there is an accident on the Seward Highway, it could be closed for hours. If you were heading to Seward by car early in the morning to make the Kenai Fjords Boat tour and there was a bad accident, you could end up missing your tour. I say stick with the train. You will not be disappointed. We took a whole day to drive the Turnagain Arm and it was very scenic. However, knowing what I know now and everything else I did and saw on my trip, I would not say it is a must do. It sounds like you did your research and came up with a plan that works for you. I have read of others doing the same thing and don't recall reading about anyone who was sorry they did it this way. You have limited time and you maximized it in my opinion. You can't do it all and you have come up with a way to squeeze in your priorities. Don't let others discourge or dissuade you. Just go and enjoy Alaska. JMHO

For your priorities, stick with your original plan. I think you will have a fine time. Many of the regular posters on CC who have contributed to this thread, have failed to mention the one thing they so often do: They often tell us that if there is an accident on the Seward Highway, it could be closed for hours. If you were heading to Seward by car early in the morning to make the Kenai Fjords Boat tour and there was a bad accident, you could end up missing your tour. I say stick with the train. You will not be disappointed. We took a whole day to drive the Turnagain Arm and it was very scenic. However, knowing what I know now and everything else I did and saw on my trip, I would not say it is a must do. It sounds like you did your research and came up with a plan that works for you. I have read of others doing the same thing and don't recall reading about anyone who was sorry they did it this way. You have limited time and you maximized it in my opinion. You can't do it all and you have come up with a way to squeeze in your priorities. Don't let others discourge or dissuade you. Just go and enjoy Alaska. JMHO

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I like to make informed decisions. As this discussion unfolded I began to doubt my my decision...but in the end I think I've come full circle. If we were making a big bad choice I would want to know, but hearing from those who actually live there and those who have done the Kenai Cruise in a day I am back to our original choice.

Thanks to all of you who have offered constructive and informative suggestions on either side of the question! :) :)

Hi,

I can't profess to know what other people's intentions are, but I doubt that anyone was putting down the value of the train ride to Seward. I believe many posters were just trying to help come up with options to avoid backtracking a number of times. Alaska is so big and it is true you cannot see everything. That is why it's so important to really review all of your options. In the end you need to take all of the information and decide what works for you. Now having said that may I offer one more option?

What if you take the train to Seward as planned but spend the night in Seward and take a private "cab" like PJ's taxi to the port the next day? If you stay at a place like the Holiday Inn Express ( which is pretty reasonable) your luggage will be delivered to the hotel for you and the tour shuttle will pick you up at the train. PJ's Taxi may be the only company that does this, I"m not sure and they may be booked already for your date but it may be worth looking into, if this option interests you. The cab ride would cost $250 for both of you ( or you may even be able to find another couple to share) and you could stop at Exit Glacier on the way as well as The Wildlife Conservation Center if your time permits. You would have to compare that cost to the cost you are paying now for 2 people to ride the return train and the shuttle to Whittier with Magic Bus. Doesn"t sound like it would be much different cost wise. Good Luck. And don't get frustrated! It took me 3 years to plan my first trip and it can be overwhelming but I am glad I was open to keep rearranging things and looking for new options!

Hi,

I can't profess to know what other people's intentions are, but I doubt that anyone was putting down the value of the train ride to Seward. I believe many posters were just trying to help come up with options to avoid backtracking a number of times. Alaska is so big and it is true you cannot see everything. That is why it's so important to really review all of your options. In the end you need to take all of the information and decide what works for you. Now having said that may I offer one more option?

What if you take the train to Seward as planned but spend the night in Seward and take a private "cab" like PJ's taxi to the port the next day? If you stay at a place like the Holiday Inn Express ( which is pretty reasonable) your luggage will be delivered to the hotel for you and the tour shuttle will pick you up at the train. PJ's Taxi may be the only company that does this, I"m not sure and they may be booked already for your date but it may be worth looking into, if this option interests you. The cab ride would cost $250 for both of you ( or you may even be able to find another couple to share) and you could stop at Exit Glacier on the way as well as The Wildlife Conservation Center if your time permits. You would have to compare that cost to the cost you are paying now for 2 people to ride the return train and the shuttle to Whittier with Magic Bus. Doesn"t sound like it would be much different cost wise. Good Luck. And don't get frustrated! It took me 3 years to plan my first trip and it can be overwhelming but I am glad I was open to keep rearranging things and looking for new options!

Thanks! I did check into PJ's and another called Alaska Transportation. Neither one looked like something we would be comfortable with. Alaska Transportation got very negative reviews here on CC and PJ's looked fine for local transportation, but just didn't look like something we'd enjoy for a ride all the way to Whittier. Other than that, private transfers are outrageously priced. If anyone knows of any other option for getting to Whittier I would certainly be open to them. We also considered staying at the Holiday Inn Express but no need to if we can't get to Whittier the next day. It is a shame that you can't rent a car and drive to Whittier to drop it off. There is no one rental agency with offices in both places.

For now I think we are going to stick with our original plan, relax and enjoy the rides. If a better option comes along and we like it, we certainly don't mind changing.

Thanks again! :)

Thanks! I did check into PJ's ... PJ's looked fine for local transportation, but just didn't look like something we'd enjoy for a ride all the way to Whittier. ]

No sure why you think this or where this information may be from -but Rene- does these long haul "taxi" transfers all the time. And always with consistant- highly recommended reports.

Probably you can see this for yourself with a board search?

"All the way to Whittier" is just two hours.

Thanks! I did check into PJ's ... PJ's looked fine for local transportation, but just didn't look like something we'd enjoy for a ride all the way to Whittier. ]

No sure why you think this or where this information may be from -but Rene- does these long haul "taxi" transfers all the time. And always with consistant- highly recommended reports.

I have also heard only good things about PJ"s. When I talked to Rene she was completely accomodating and willing to throw in a tour around town and a visit to Exit Glacier (which I think is cool to be able to walk up to a glacier as a different glacier experience) and if time permitted a stop at the Conservation Center. I like the idea of such a personal form of transportation but I guess that's just my opinion!

By gosh I agree with you here. Renee does a fine job. She is reliable, honest, good equipment. You can sightsee on the way over. Even a wildlife park with bear, moose, etc. Cost someplace around $225 to $250 for the trip. We recommend her highly but I still like your original plan the best.

Part of the fun of your original plan is riding the train itself. Not often you can ride a scenic railroad in America that is not part of Amtrak. The train has guides that narrate the trip and the Goldstar Service (though pricey) is really nice.

Continued thanks to everyone for your contributions! After discussing it with my husband again, I think we still like our original plan if for no other reason than the traffic issues. We are on a tight schedule trying to make the Kenai and PWS tours and the less we have to worry about road construction and wrecks, the happier we will be. I also checked with Magic Bus and they usually stop at Beluga Point, Portage Glacier Valley, etc. It all works for us so unless something changes, I think we're good to go. Thanks again everyone! :)

Last summer my wife and nephew were stuck on the Seward Highway for eight hours due to a fatal traffic accident. There was even a special meeting last summer to deal with problems on the Seward highway. Problems included unsafe driving, increased traffic, etc. Really a shame that one or two people can mess things up for everyone.

It is a beautiful route but the highway does have problems from time to time. Even in the winter, there are avalanche issues. Given your tight schedule, stick with your plan.

I'm confused. Maybe I am missing something so please help me out here. Wouldn't the Magic Bus be just as vulnerable to traffic, accidents, avalanches and rock slides going from Anchorage to Whittier as PJ's Taxi is coming from the other direction?

Yep. Travel plans need to be made based on "odds" I suppose. IF extremely short on time, like some posters, then you need to look at this further. BUT, the trains can encounter stuff too. No guarantees in life, is there?

Yep. Travel plans need to be made based on "odds" I suppose. IF extremely short on time, like some posters, then you need to look at this further. BUT, the trains can encounter stuff too. No guarantees in life, is there?

Exactly! I just don't want other people who are following this thread to misunderstand and think that if they travel Anchorage to Whittier instead of Seward to Whittier that they will be safe from any travel interruptions. And like you said the trains can and do encounter problems also. That's why it is important to allow enough travel time always.

I have done the train and kenai ford boat ride. It will be a long day - but you can sleep on the train. Its a wonderful nap with the motion of the train.

If time is not an issue, I would take the train for the adventure of it. Its very slow - and you are on the train's timetable.

It seems like it takes twice as long on the train as driving. As another poster has indicated, you will not get a chance to explore Seward if you take the train. You only have about an hour of free time.

Archived