Tipping

stingau

OK to you lot this is probably a stupid quetion but to an aussie it is different . Here in Australia tipping is very rare so we are unsure of who to tip and how much. My previous vacation to the States was in '93 and cannot remember that far back the only other time I flew in and I was posted to a military base again no tipping.

So when in the airport...hotel..... shops.... restaurants who do we tip and how much is normal.

"Here in Australia tipping is very rare" No wonder I got treated like a king when my Navy ship pulled into Melborne!:D

If there is valet parking at the hotel I typically tip $1-2 for bringing my car around - more if they perform this task in the middle of a driving rain storm.:eek:

If there's a bell-hop who carries your bags to the room then you are staying in a fancier hotel than I normally can afford:p, tip him $1-2 per bag.

Taxi drivers I typically add about 10% to the fare, rounded up to the nearest dollar. So for a $13 fare I'd pay $15.

Standard tip for most dining places is 15-18% of the bill (before taxes) for good service - more for great service.

You'll see tip jars out at many places like Starbucks and fast food sandwich shops:mad: - feel free to ignore these, or toss in some change or a dollar for fast and friendly service.

Do not tip at grocery stores, drug stores, clothing stores, or just about any store where you don't get personal service.

Porters at the port who check in your luggage I usually tip$2-3 per bag. Most cruise lines have established tip rates that are added to your bill - if we get above average service from our waiter, room attendant or others I have bumped this up.

Good luck!:)

You'll see tip jars out at many places like Starbucks and fast food sandwich shops:mad: - feel free to ignore these, or toss in some change or a dollar for fast and friendly service.

Ha! John, you're so funny. I take it you don't like the tipping jars for "starving students", or the ones that read "Tipping is sexy!"? :D :rolleyes:

Archived