If I can't have an aft balcony....

There's a debate in another thread as to whether I will be able to book an aft balcony (E1) for three people. I've had a good experience in the Aft on VOTS and since we'd be taking Baby on his first cruise, I don't want any surprises but if I can't have it - what would you recommend? Would I be better off with a hump cabin? A JS? Or maybe a different cruise line?? I sort of have my heart set on an aft cabin, and if I have to go with something unfamilar, I'm completely flexible with itineraries, ships and cruise lines.

I LOVE the hump area.....it's so very convenient to the stairs and elevators....makes running back and forth to the room a piece of cake! The cabin itself will be identical, and the balcony is certainly fine for 2 adults (babies don't count, since they're not using chairs!!!) unless you're planning to host a party or something on the balcony!

I just got back from a cruise on the NOTS with 4 people in a D1 on deck 10 aft, I'm sure you would be able too

That's a quad, she is referring to an E1 listed as a double.

I suggest you just call Royal Caribbean and ask. They will either make an exception due to the age of the child or they won't. It's that easy!

I just got back from a cruise on the NOTS with 4 people in a D1 on deck 10 aft, I'm sure you would be able too

Some of the aft staterooms will accommodate more than two, (the Navigator D1 afts have a sofa bed, and the E1 afts have a third pullman bed). OP, you can go to the cruiseline's website and check the ship deck plans. Sofa beds are designated by a triangle after the stateroom number, and the pullman beds have an asterisk (*).

edited: RCI's website shows E1 staterooms on Deck 10, while my TA guide (09-2010) shows D1s. It may depend on the date of sailing, as there are times when the cruiseline has changed the categories around.

I was looking at the deck plans to try and decipher them. I did notice that the E1 didn't have a triangle or a star. This says that there is no sofa bed, but I also checked VOTS, which we stayed on a few years back - the floor plan also said no sofa bed, but I definitely remember there being a sofa, so I'm not sure if that's a typo or not... :(

I will call and find out - I'd just rather have a Plan B right away if they say no so I can book something else, and I think it's 50/50 whether they would allow DS to be our 3rd.

Some of the aft staterooms will accommodate more than two, (the Navigator D1 afts have a sofa bed, and the E1 afts have a third pullman bed). OP, you can go to the cruiseline's website and check the ship deck plans. Sofa beds are designated by a triangle after the stateroom number, and the pullman beds have an asterisk (*).

edited: RCI's website shows E1 staterooms on Deck 10, while my TA guide (09-2010) shows D1s. It may depend on the date of sailing, as there are times when the cruiseline has changed the categories around.

All the aft E1 cabins on deck 6,7 and 8 have a third person capacity with a pullman bed being available.

My printed material from RCI and the deck plans on their NA web site shows only D1s and JS aft on deck 10.

On future cruises, starting for this summer season I believe, RC has changed the class or number following the letter of balcony cabins within a certain category, such as D1 to D2 or E1 to E2. The higher class now reflects more the addition benefit a cabin offers such as being connecting or having extra persons capacity more than the location which was the major criteria in the past.

IMO, it would be much more difficult change the actual (letter) category as in changing an 162 sq.ft E balcony cabin on a Voyager class ship to a 179 sq.ft D1 cabin with a larger balcony.

Archived