2/9/10 - 11 Night Tuamotu & Society Islands Review

DrmnOfMaui

As I'm sorting through my photos for a photo book I've come across a few more general ship photos that might be interesting to people planning trips:

Forward on deck 8 - forward balcony of GS Cabin 801. A small public area is available if you go all the way forward on Deck 8 through the doors, there is a small privacy screen for the GS that we peeked around to take this picture. Many times we were the only people there!

IMG_1260-1.jpg

Pool area...

IMG_8536.jpg

Aft - La Palette. I I forgot to review the afternoon tea in La Palette. Every afternoon at 4, very nice and peaceful, usually with live music - either piano or Le Gaugines. Scones with the cream and apricot jam were a tasty afternoon treat!

IMG_1446.jpg

Shot of the snorkeling excursion on Moorea heading out to the reef

IMG_9871.jpg

Shot (not a very good one!) of the wave runner excursion touring Opunohu Bay - Moorea

IMG_9881.jpg

Another not very good shot, but someone was asking about the size of the chairs and table on the balcony. The table is kind of small, but it worked. We had room service one afternoon and both plates fit on the table. The chairs reclined and made a lovely spot for an afternoon snooze!

IMG_0938.jpg

Seems to me there was a thread somewhere all about turning your Tahitian vanilla beans into creme brulee. Just whipped up some yesterday. If I can do it, anybody can. There are loads of recipes on the internet. I use the beans by heating up the cream with a vanilla bean in it, then let the cream cool to room temperature to make the custard. I also split the bean and scape out the seeds into the final ramekins before cooking them. This seems to increase the vanilla flavor.

Maui,

I can see that you have likely caught the FP Flu. Wendy and myself and a few others have it really bad.

Miriam

A few others including my wife and I!

GREAT! You guys just cost me a 'boatload' of money! We couldn't stand it any longer...we're going this summer (or winter depending on your perspective)!

Ia Orana!

Seems to me there was a thread somewhere all about turning your Tahitian vanilla beans into creme brulee. Just whipped up some yesterday. If I can do it, anybody can. There are loads of recipes on the internet. I use the beans by heating up the cream with a vanilla bean in it, then let the cream cool to room temperature to make the custard. I also split the bean and scape out the seeds into the final ramekins before cooking them. This seems to increase the vanilla flavor.

Mmmmm... that sounds fantastic!

I used some of our beans from Huahine in some yummy Vanilla Bean Ice Cream yesterday. Topped it with some local strawberries soaked in some sugar, orange juice and a little Grand Marnier. One of our favorite warm weather treats!

A few others including my wife and I!

GREAT! You guys just cost me a 'boatload' of money! We couldn't stand it any longer...we're going this summer (or winter depending on your perspective)!

Ia Orana!

Yeah!!! Well... at least you will be able to calm your fever for a week or two. It will probably be worse when you get home though.;)

Congratulations to you. I'm excited! Can't wait to hear about your trip. 88 days will be here before you know it!!!

• 1 month later...

This Entire Thread was enlightening...THANK YOU for sharing your pictures and experiences.

We cruise the Mediterranean this fall and tour a little of Europe, but I am now planning on cruising French Polynesia on the PG for our next getaway...possibly in 2011!!!:D

This Entire Thread was enlightening...THANK YOU for sharing your pictures and experiences.

We cruise the Mediterranean this fall and tour a little of Europe, but I am now planning on cruising French Polynesia on the PG for our next getaway...possibly in 2011!!!:D

You're welcome! We absolutely loved the Paul Gauguin and can't wait to go back. No definite plans as of yet, but we talk (and dream!) about it frequently.

The Med is on our list of "go to" places as well, but we haven't done much research in that area yet.

Keep us posted on you 2011 PG plans... Hopefully we will be there with you!:)

LOP, I thought I would add this link to another review from our trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154857

You may have seen this already, but Nancy wrote a fantastic, comprehensive review of the PG for the same time period. This may help with your planning as she was so detailed!

LOP, I thought I would add this link to another review from our trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154857

You may have seen this already, but Nancy wrote a fantastic, comprehensive review of the PG for the same time period. This may help with your planning as she was so detailed!

Thank you, I had not seen that one.

I think our biggest dilemma will be what time of year to go down there as we like tropical settings but would prefer to go during a cooler and less humid time of year...

Thank you, I had not seen that one.

I think our biggest dilemma will be what time of year to go down there as we like tropical settings but would prefer to go during a cooler and less humid time of year...

There is only a couple of degrees difference between winter and summer, but it seems less humid (and less bugs) in their winter (June-August). We did a hike on Bora Bora over New Years...I was wringing wet by the time we returned.

We have been three times in June/July (soon to be four) and once at New Years. Your mileage may vary...

Mtn Driver,

Returning again! Wow! I would love to as well but have to diligently keep at my bucket list.

Maybe in a couple of years. Hope the PG keeps well and all the wonderful staff are still on board.

For awhile last week I thought of returning for New Year but its too long a flight for 7 days and we really dont have the vacation for a longer trip. Will have to live vicariously through the reports.

Miriam

I agree with MtnDriver that the temp difference isn't that big. Although I admit I was *going to* say that if you like to hike through the jungle or up the side of a mountain, that going in "winter" (June, July, August) might be easier on you :cool: I.e., on land, away from the water and the wind, it can get nasty.

We've been in April, May-early June twice, and December. On the ship it makes very little difference. April was hottest. But wetness level wasn't really difference. And yes, your experience may vary, since you can have stormy/wet weather any time. Luckily, the most we've had any time is a storm day, or a brief tropical downpour.

*Our* dilemma is that we'd rather go in our winter when we can catch some warmth and rays. December to the Marquesas worked out well for us that way. But May is generallly gorgeous, I must admit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DrmnOfMaui

Need some advice on how to put nice size images on my 8th May review..... only seem to be able to put clickable thumbnails....

help gratefully accepted

brianandtony at free dot fr :)

Hi DrmnOfMaui

Need some advice on how to put nice size images on my 8th May review..... only seem to be able to put clickable thumbnails....

help gratefully accepted

You need to insert a link to picture on an external website (like photobucket).

Hi DrmnOfMaui

help gratefully accepted

I sent him a detailed email. Hopefully it all made sense!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just read your glowing review and we cant wait to go in August. Your were very infromative and your pearl photos were great, all your photos were. We are staying 4 nights at the sofitel moorea precruise and i am hoping to buy a beautiful pearl necklace for my 50th birthday. We are on the 10 night cruise shich we thought would be long enough for first time cruisers. Thankyou once again for sharing your journey.

Just read your glowing review and we cant wait to go in August. Your were very infromative and your pearl photos were great, all your photos were. We are staying 4 nights at the sofitel moorea precruise and i am hoping to buy a beautiful pearl necklace for my 50th birthday. We are on the 10 night cruise shich we thought would be long enough for first time cruisers. Thankyou once again for sharing your journey.

You're welcome!! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the review and found it useful. We were 2nd time cruisers and found 10 days to be wonderful. On the PG, I could have even gone longer! I have heard good things about the Sofitel on Moorea... actually I believe we drove by it and it looked lovely.

I am wearing the pearl as I type! :D I absolutely love them and use them to bring some of the islands with me wherever I go.

We'd love to hear about it when you return!

Bon Voyage!

• 4 weeks later...

The PG is most definitely a special place for us with its understated and peaceful elegance. Although it took a few days for us to fully relax and embrace the islands, we came away with a renewed appreciation for life and for each other. Things that seemed so important before the trip somehow were put into perspective. Ideas that we had thought were set for our future somehow evolved into new ideas. One thing that we took away and are trying to hold on to is a peacefulness that seems to permeate the islands. Holding on to this peacefulness in our busy life has not been easy, but we are continually trying to remind ourselves to take some time out of our full days to take a breath and live, to just enjoy a few special moments, whether it be our coffee in the morning, the pink clouds from the sunset or the brightness of the moon.

I've just been re-reading your review and want to thank-you for conveying such a good sense of the experience you had and islands you visited. In particular, I find your last paragraph to be the perfect summary of what the trip seems to mean to many who visit.

Totally agree with Friscorays and DrmnOfMaui's sentiments.

The PG and FP is a special place that few of us are privileged to visit AND appreciate. Some people cannot see beyond the small rooms and an aging ship with older facilities but for us it will always carry a special place in our hearts because it is a lot more than just a ship.

DrmnOfMaui, I love the Moorea Sofitel beach next time you go there you must visit.

Thank you both for you comments! I'm just in the process of turning this review into the 2nd segment of a travel blog, and I've also been reviewing (reliving!) our trip. It's easy to get caught up in everyday life and forget all that we learned and felt on the PG, but your comments have reminded us both.

I have so enjoyed reading the comments and reviews of the other wonderful posters on this board and sometimes if I close my eyes I can pictures exactly what they are talking about, what they are seeing, and (almost!) what they are feeling!

We are often perusing the PG brochure looking for that perfect date/trip to jump on!

Emdee... you are so right... It is much more than just a ship! :)

I ditto the sentiments here - the writings by our fellow posters are absolutely remarkable. I'm lucky to be able to log on and be transported not only to places I've been in FP, but places I've yet to travel in the region. I'm happy to note others who, like me, see this voyage as more than a vacation or holiday because truly, it's so much more than that. Magical.

I ditto the sentiments here - the writings by our fellow posters are absolutely remarkable. I'm lucky to be able to log on and be transported not only to places I've been in FP, but places I've yet to travel in the region. I'm happy to note others who, like me, see this voyage as more than a vacation or holiday because truly, it's so much more than that. Magical.

I don't think PG was magical...it should of been for all that money!

Disney World is magical and much less $.

TomCruises,

I see you are a non believer.... the PG in FP is magical to us believers.

Money means only what value you ascribe to it.

I just dont get the magic in Disney World though I think its a great operation.

Lets agree to disagree....

TomCruises,

I see you are a non believer.... the PG in FP is magical to us believers.

Money means only what value you ascribe to it.

I just dont get the magic in Disney World though I think its a great operation.

Lets agree to disagree....

Nicely said Emdee... even my 10 year old daughter has chosen the PG over Disneyland! :D

Archived