Earthquake near Santiago Chile -- Princess Sailings and Passengers

mmyorkston

Keith, how do you know this? And, if so, why would Princess choose to put people through all this (meaning their non-communication; some of their mis-communication can be overlooked given the circumstances) if, in the end, they plan to recompense passengers anyways? It just does not make sense.

I think that many of those people who have flown part way to Santiago and then been stuck, returned home and then been told they will be no shows would have preferred to avoid the situation they have found themselves in the past 5 days. Yesterday I thought Princess could make good by simply reimbursing passengers who couldn't get to the cruise - and that would have worked, had they done it Saturday, Sunday or Monday, and possibly on Tuesday or Wednesday morning, but at this point it is too late. We've had too many real life examples of Princess not following through on the simplest of promises...to return calls, to rebook flights, etc. to pretend they never happened.

I also wonder what independent insurance companies are now thinking about insuring Princess cruisers when the company so clearly is passing the buck on this one.

And, this whole thing has had me thinking about last 11 months ago during the H1N1 outbreak (which seems almost quaint now, doesn't it, in view of the devastation in Chile), and I looked up this thread. Then, Princess was offering a 50% credit towards a future cruise (within a year, I think), but, unlike RC and Celebrity, did not offer passengers the option of being reiumbursed if they chose not to take their "California Riviera" cruise. So far, Princess hasn't been even that generous with the 3/2 Star cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974132

I think that companies are much like people in that you can tell the most about their values and priorities during the worst of times, not the best, and Princess made theirs clear last year and crystal this year.

JMHO of course. I'm just very disappointed in one of my favorite cruise lines this week.

Well since many have made the decision that there will be no compensation. Its only been a WEEK!! This is a logistical nightmare.

Why are you so sure that Princess will do nothing?

Its way to early to jump to conclusions but so many already have.

My first thoughts whether I had this cruise booked or not would be not to think of myself but all that have lost their lives.

I can always book a cruise be it once in a lifetime experience or not.

I am a loyal Princess fan but how they treat the passengers on this cruise will have an impact on how I view the company. I hope that Princess will do what is right. I am sure they are getting legal advise as to what they should and should not do but a legal opinion does not take heart into consideration and does not consider good will and the long term value of being perceived as a caring company. Princess knows what the right thing to do would be, we will see if they follow through. I hope if they do, they toot their own horn because I want to hear it, so I can feel good about booking future trips with Princess.

I also wonder what independent insurance companies are now thinking about insuring Princess cruisers when the company so clearly is passing the buck on this one.

This.

If I'm an underwriter at another insurance company that issues travel insurance, I would definitely be tempted to increase insurance premiums for anybody booking a Princess cruise as a result of this fiasco. It's basic risk underwriting. If insuring passenger A on Princess represents an increased risk of filing a claim over passenger B on Celebrity (for instance), then you have to charge more for the policy issued to passenger A. This becomes one of those famous 'unintended consequences' we always hear so much about.

We have been watching this drama unfold via CC and remained silent throughout. We are Elite Captain's Club members and have always been great fans of Princess.

We are leaving next week for a 10 night on the Ruby, and have three additional Princess cruises booked for next winter.

We have to say that we are disgusted with how Princess is handling the situation as difficult as conditions are in Chile. Travel insurance is a MUST for a voyage of this length, cost, and location. Medical evacuation costs alone would justify buying the insurance. It will be interesting to see how the independent insurance companies handle the claims that will be made.

We wait with anticipation in reading the inevitable postings of passengers booked on this voyage to see how they are treated.

Using Princess Air has never been an issue with us, as we were aware that you pay more for less, and have always booked our air independently so we have control over it with the airlines. We always added the cost of air to the amount of our insurance and extended the dates of coverage on the policy to include possible delays due to unforeseen circumstances.

We will be taking our cruise on the Ruby next week, but the three cruises we have booked with Princess for next winter are now in limbo awaiting our reviewing how Princess compensates passengers booked on the ill fated Star Princess earthquake cruise.

We think that Princess should "step up" and compensate, not because of any contract, but because of a bungled handling of the situation from the start.

This is just the opinion of two very experienced Princess cruises, so no flames please.

"Well since many have made the decision that there will be no compensation. Its only been a WEEK!! This is a logistical nightmare.

Why are you so sure that Princess will do nothing?"

Could it be that it's because numerous people have reported to this board that they've been told by coercive Princess reps. that if they don't get limited flights into this danger zone on a moving time scale, they will be classed as voluntary no-shows and not be entitled to any compensation?

However, I do agree that the clowns at Princess's HO will likely come to their senses at some point.

I think I will withhold any conclusions until I know more facts.

I like so many others have been following the news, this thread, Princess news, the roll call thread. I don't think there is enough information to conclude anything.

Princess is not putting out enough information for sure and you can only speculate why.

This thread and the roll call have gone from one extreme to another with posters that rarely post just lambasting Princess and they have no better information than the rest of us. With even a TA just going off the deep end on Princess IMO. If I were a TA, and I'm not, and I had customers on that cruise I would accept the responsibility of keeping them informed and not blame the cruise line.

Having traveled across the wonderful country and to most regions of the world. I have always put the safety of my family 1st and would always make a decision based on that premise. If there were a sever disaster at our destination I would never put my family in harms way there I would just cancel the trip and worry about getting a refund later.

Cool heads are an asset. I just can't imagine Princess putting their customers in danger. I will withhold my conclusions until this plays out.

"and I had customers on that cruise I would accept the responsibility of keeping them informed and not blame the cruise line."

The TA's were receiving no more info than their clients from Princess, so what info would you have provided as a TA other than Princess was stonewalling you also?

Let's face it Princess not only dropped the ball, but was never on it!

[quote name=Tradewind40;23415671

Could it be that it's because numerous people have reported to this board that they've been told by coercive Princess reps. that if they don't get limited flights into this danger zone on a moving time scale' date=' they will be classed as voluntary no-shows and not be entitled to any compensation?

However, I do agree that the clowns at Princess's HO will likely come to their senses at some point.[/quote]

Well since when did we start believing or listening to CSR's? :eek:

In the end the captain of a ship or pilot of a plane have the final decision when the safety and security of the ship/plane and all those on board are concerned. My question is, when it became evident on Saturday that the earthquake in Chile was severe (one of strongest in recorded history) why did the captan not right then turn the ship around and return to Buenos Aires? If he/she had done that all current passengers would be returned to a safe/secure country, the cruise leaving today would have been canceled, and all this mess would be over. Sure, this would have been a difficult decision, and yes he/she may have been replaced, but Princess would be looking a lot better today than they are now. More importantly no one would be placing their life on the line over a vacation.

"and I had customers on that cruise I would accept the responsibility of keeping them informed and not blame the cruise line."

The TA's were receiving no more info than their clients from Princess, so what info would you have provided as a TA other than Princess was stonewalling you also?

Let's face it Princess not only dropped the ball, but was never on it!

Do you have 1st hand knowledge of this? Are You a TA? And authority runs in a straight line, it doesn't jump around corners. And if you are going to quote me please don't take it out of context.

In the end the captain of a ship or pilot of a plane have the final decision when the safety and security of the ship/plane and all those on board are concerned. My question is, when it became evident on Saturday that the earthquake in Chile was severe (one of strongest in recorded history) why did the captan not right then turn the ship around and return to Buenos Aires? If he/she had done that all current passengers would be returned to a safe/secure country, the cruise leaving today would have been canceled, and all this mess would be over. Sure, this would have been a difficult decision, and yes he/she may have been replaced, but Princess would be looking a lot better today than they are now. More importantly no one would be placing their life on the line over a vacation.
I am sure you don't know Captain Ed Perin. I would trust his judgement over yours anyday.

I have heard from a few people who do have 3rd party insurance (specifically Access America) and they are being very helpful and cooperative towards them and their claim.

While this is a nightmare of a story - through my years of cruising, I have heard of other nightmare situations with other cruise lines also where the cruise lines have acted differently than what many of us expect them to do. So I doubt the 3rd party insurance companies are going to start charging Princess cruisers more based on this situation (as another posted suggested they may start doing).

http://www.abcactionnews.com/content/news/local/hillsborough/west/tampa/story/Tampa-woman-says-mom-stuck-on-cruise-ship-in-Chile/cUjuCWb_qU6sBDLjz0f1fQ.cspx

Tampa woman says mom stuck on cruise ship in Chile.

But those booked for March 2 told to get there despite lack of flights and danger. What a farce!

progress.gif

I just read the article. I think there are other angles of the story that would have ranked higher as my choice of stories such as advising passengers to fly and that the ship was leaving as scheduled and the airport was closed and eventually only accepting few flights. But it is a matter of what was reported and what reporter decided what story to report. I know many who have contacted the larger news channels (ABC, CNN, USAToday) and even Peter Greenberg (sp?).

Who's defending the callous actions of Princess in this screw up?

I haven't noted one person who actually booked the March 2 cruise try to justify Princess Line's handling of this fiasco!

Curious? No!

Eh? Maybe those passengers are actually involved in getting to Santiago and have more important things to do at the moment. I am not sure why this is a screw up by Princess, they did not cause the earthquake! From what I have seen in news releases they do seem to be telling everyone what the ship is doing and assisting those who booked travel through Princess. Those who chose to go their own way need to continue to do just that and I see no reason for Princess having to help them out other than providing information of where the ship is and that has been done. Princess cannot suddenly open airports to solve the situation but I think they would if they could!

From the CC sticky news release I see that some rebates are being offered. Hopefully people insured too.

They remain at anchor of Valparaiso by the look of it.

Sorry. It's exactly where it was yesterday at this time, sitting in the harbor. It appeared to have docked earlier this morning.

My mistake, I saw it at the dock too this morning, maybe they had to vacate the dock for awhile before leaving again.

Well since many have made the decision that there will be no compensation. Its only been a WEEK!! This is a logistical nightmare. Why are you so sure that Princess will do nothing? Its way to early to jump to conclusions but so many already have.

Keith, this is not an assumption. Princess told me they will not give a credit or refund to the passengers unable to make it to Santiago. Unlike many Princess defenders here, I'm actually one of the 3/2 customers.

Archived