Explorer of the Seas JR Suite Question

aruvqan

The JS has no handicapped access....there's a step up into the bathroom, where there will be a tub, instead of just a shower stall. Because of the tub, the bathroom is a tad larger than a standard bath, but smaller than a HC bathroom.

There is a large, walk-in closet with lots of hanging space and shelves.

The cabin is wider than a standard cabin, but about the same size as a HC cabin.

So, aside from the grab bars and no step up in the HC cabin, the size is very similar.

Welcome to the sailing! We're going on that one also - come join our roll call thread. ;) Anyways - most JS's have a walk in closet, but not sure if the HC cabin will OR that the doorway into the closet (if it is still a walk in) will be wide enough for a wheelchair... I would check out the disabled cruisers board and see if anyone there knows.

The JS we booked is very specifically HC access, it even shows the little wheelchair man on the ship plan, and when we booked it we were very specific about it being HC access ... deck 10, 1544.

Yes, there are JS HC cabins on the Ex. A friend of mine had one. Somewhere back in summer 08 I think she posted lots of pics of it. You'd have to go back on the Explorer thread to that time period to see them. It did not have a tub, it has a flat tile floor you can walk on or roll a chair on. It is bigger then the regular JS to allow for more space. She and her family were very happy with the cabin! :)

Ill have to wander through the explorer thread and find the pictures =)

I like the Explorer ... I don't think I would like a larger ship - the Explorer was big enough! And I felt that with a smaller passenger load, service would be more personal or something like that :) Not to mention we can drive rather than taking an airplane. Wheelchairs on airplanes make for ****ty trips, too much of a pain in the ass organizing logistics. We can pack everything in the car and dont have to deal with TSA, or idiots that don't understand that I would really prefer NOT to need a wheelchair, and I am not deliberately taking up space, or moving slowly because I want to inconvenience them...:mad:

Ill have to wander through the explorer thread and find the pictures =)

I like the Explorer ... I don't think I would like a larger ship - the Explorer was big enough! And I felt that with a smaller passenger load, service would be more personal or something like that :) Not to mention we can drive rather than taking an airplane. Wheelchairs on airplanes make for ****ty trips, too much of a pain in the ass organizing logistics. We can pack everything in the car and dont have to deal with TSA, or idiots that don't understand that I would really prefer NOT to need a wheelchair, and I am not deliberately taking up space, or moving slowly because I want to inconvenience them...:mad:

aruvqan, these are the only photos I could find so far:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9379850&highlight=1544#post9379850

Ok, I found an album on webshots.

It is the equivalent cabin on Liberty, and I make no representations that it will be the same on Explorer. Many years elapsed between the launch of these two ships, and they learned a lot in those years. ;)

But it's a JS, and Liberty is truly just a stretched Voyager class ship, in its layout.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560754879mOhNJh

Archived