Earthquake in Chile

marilynfaye

A massive earthquake has jolted Central Chile and there are fears of Tsunamis to follow. I looked to see where Insignia was. She was scheduled to be at sea in the Atlantic today with a stop in Puenta Arenas tomorrow and then up the coast of Chile.

At 3:30 this morning (my time) the bridge cam showed calm waters. As of now (8:30) she is definitely in some port, but I don't know where.

Has anyone heard from any passengers on board? This could be a greater challenge than Nuatica outrunning the pirates.

We are to join Insignia in Valparaiso. I posted the following on the Roll Call for the Valparaiso-Rio cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23336531&postcount=118

I'm assuming there will be no effect of the Chilean earthquake on the cruise, but I'm sure many of us are feeling a little odd about going down there to have fun so soon after the disaster. I've sent an enquiry to Oceania to ask if it would be possible for them to organize an on-board collection which could then be donated on behalf of the ship's passengers to the Chilean Red Cross.

CNN reports that the airport in Santiago is closed and should affect air traffic for at least 3 days. I can just see the folks in Destinations on Insignia working on future plan for the current cruisers at least.

Hang in there, ohthere. We will all keep our fingers crossed for you.

Just heard from my friends aboard the Insignia. They said they were in the safest place possible in the Straights of Magelian between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The biggest concern will be with the roads between Valparaiso and Santiago a week from now. I agree with spindrift that the Oceania staff will be very busy figuring out the situation as more news becomes available on the devastation. This was an earthquake of unbelievable magnitude.

Sheila

We did this cruise the last time around ('08-'09). Disembarkation was the worst we had experienced in 34 sailings due to the incompetence of the local officials. What with the earthquake, I can imagine what the Chilean bureaucrats have in store for the folks this time.

Hopefully those disembarking & Embarking will be able to but it may not be possible if planes cannot land there.

I think this cruise is part of a Grand Voyage so many will be continuing on the next leg of the cruise.

Lyn

Archived