Help with land trip to Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi

cruisemom42

I am contemplating a visit to this area for a week in late November -- out of season, I know, but I like that :) -- instead of my usual trip to Rome. I'm hoping some of the regular travelers on this board (eurocruiser? Hank?) can give some helpful suggestions. Is it a bad idea to be here in late November? We stopped on a cruise in Naples around November 20 a few years ago and had beautiful weather. I don't care if it's chilly, just hopefully not too rainy....

I'm thinking right now of basing myself in Sorrento as it's such a great hub for many of the sites I want to visit. Anyone stayed here? I've gotten some pretty good recommendations from the tripadvisor board on reasonable hotels (3 star) in the center of Sorrento near the main piazza, train, and ferry. Hotel Antiche Mura looks very good and rates are VERY low for the period I'm considering.....

I do not want to rent a car -- don't like to drive; I find it stressful and don't get to enjoy any of the scenery. I want to revisit both Pompeii and Sorrento, see Villa Poppeia (Oplontis) and maybe get to Paestum. Probably will spend one day in Naples at the museum and just sightseeing.

I haven't been to Capri -- is it worth a visit at that time of year? The only thing I'd really be interested in is Villa Jovis (Tiberius' villa).

I haven't ever done the Amalfi coast drive; maybe will do the bus to Positano at some point. Scenery isn't a big deal to me but I'd like to visit the town.

What about flights -- I guess it's best to look at flying into Naples? Or are there other alternatives I should consider?

I'm excited about this idea -- it just occurred to me last night that there's so much here I never get to on a day visit. I can't believe I'm passing up Rome, but.......;)

I will try to help with a few points.

I'm thinking right now of basing myself in Sorrento as it's such a great hub for many of the sites I want to visit.

Your choice is probably right. One disavantage compared to the Amalfi coast is of course the direction facing north away from the sun shine. This might make a few degrees difference in a time when every degree counts.

Yet if you still want to have some life in the town a major place like Sorrento is a better choice than one of the lovely small villages. With the same argument a hotel in the city centre will be nice. As you do not want to rent a car Sorrento is perfect with its train and bus connections to all the places you want to see on the main land. Even more without a car it is the only reasonable choice besides Naples itself.

I haven't been to Capri -- is it worth a visit at that time of year? The only thing I'd really be interested in is Villa Jovis (Tiberius' villa).

In this case it is certainly worth the visit. Yet you might have to be flexible to avoid a day with heavy seas. Maybe add the Villa San Michele and allow some time to sit in a cafe or restaurant.

I haven't ever done the Amalfi coast drive; maybe will do the bus to Positano at some point. Scenery isn't a big deal to me but I'd like to visit the town.

Amalfi coast is the only part in the area which is not that nice with public transportation if you want to enjoy the scenery and even worse if you try to do it on a one day cruise stop. In your situation take the bus and you will be fine.

What about flights -- I guess it's best to look at flying into Naples? Or are there other alternatives I should consider?

Naples is definitely best. Yet if the price difference to a flight to Rome is significant or if it as connection versus a direct flight, Rome might be a consideration, too. Trains are frequent and fast.

I am contemplating a visit to this area for a week in late November...Is it a bad idea to be here in late November? We stopped on a cruise in Naples around November 20 a few years ago and had beautiful weather. I don't care if it's chilly, just hopefully not too rainy....

It will most likely be fine. I was just in Naples for a week in February and it rained every single day (for at least some part of the day), but it was still a great trip. Of course, I wasn't hiking around the ruins of Pompei, etc., so the rain wasn't as much of an issue for my agenda as it would be for yours. November can be rainy, but ...

I'm thinking right now of basing myself in Sorrento as it's such a great hub for many of the sites I want to visit.

I think that makes perfect sense for the places you are interested in seeing. I stayed in downtown Naples, because I wanted to see things in the city, but your interests are different. Sorrento is lovely, and it will still be quite lively even off season.

I can't say for sure, from experience. I've been to Capri in late October and in July. Everything was still open in late October, but I don't know if November 1 is a turning point or not.

It's probably best to fly into Naples, especially when Sorrento is your goal. I've only flown directly to Naples once (out of five or six trips there), because it's always so much more expensive for me. I usually do what I did a couple of weeks ago, fly into Rome and take the train. I really dislike the Leonardo Express in Rome (don't get me started, I'm not quite rational on the subject), so I took the local train to Roma Ostiense and picked up a train to Naples from there. It worked out perfectly. However, for Sorrento I'd be willing to pay the incremental expense to fly to Naples and have only one transfer (vs. FCO to Rome, Rome to Naples, Naples to Sorrento ... too much confusion).

I'm excited about this idea -- it just occurred to me last night that there's so much here I never get to on a day visit. I can't believe I'm passing up Rome, but.......;)

Here's the benefit of flying into/out of Rome. I tacked on three days in Rome last week before coming home. It was incredibly cost efficient, since I stayed in a convent. I too can't imagine passing up Rome.

Cynthia, if you have specific questions I can help with, please feel free to e-mail me at esinger999 at aol.

Here's the benefit of flying into/out of Rome. I tacked on three days in Rome last week before coming home. It was incredibly cost efficient, since I stayed in a convent. I too can't imagine passing up Rome.

Cynthia, if you have specific questions I can help with, please feel free to e-mail me at esinger999 at aol.

Yes, just after I typed my first message it occurred to me that I could tack a couple of extra days on (my company owes me....:cool:) and still get my Rome fix.

I was hoping you'd offer help. I'll email you tomorrow.

Cynthia, we too have visited this area in late November. After Thanksgiving in 2007. We did Pompeii in the morning and then drove the Amalfi coast. We had a private driver so made it real nice to see the scenery. I know you said the scenery wasnt a big deal to you - but this area in late fall in really pretty. All the trees were deep green, gold, red and orange on the mountains. Ravello up in the mountains had gorgeous views of the trees in full color. We had wonderful weather - sunny and nice. We even took off all jackets and sweaters in Pompeii it was so warm. Up in the mountains it was a bit more chilly.....but still nice.

We found some things to be closed for the season already. But not so much that we couldnt find places to eat or shop etc..... We really like to go off season as there are less crowds, no lines or traffic. Our last trip (May 09) we stayed in Naples and spent the whole morning at the Museum...... was so nice - not many people there (still out of season) and enjoyed seeing all the stuff from Pompeii and Herculeneum. Still think Naples is gritty tho :o

We too are planning a land trip - our 30th anniversary is this fall. Hope to start in Venice and work our way down :D Perhaps 3 weeks worth if I can get dh schedule to work with that. Can't wait - love Italy !

Excellent; sounds like the consensus is that the time of year is not an impediment to my trip!

I don't mind if a few stores/restaurants are closed, I'm sure I will find plenty to eat and am not looking at this as a shopping trip. I like the off-season for the reasons noted -- very few crowds!

Tex, congrats on your upcoming anniversary. I remember how excited you were about going back to the Amalfi coast -- hope you are planning to include that in your trip.

Excellent; sounds like the consensus is that the time of year is not an impediment to my trip!

I don't mind if a few stores/restaurants are closed, I'm sure I will find plenty to eat and am not looking at this as a shopping trip. I like the off-season for the reasons noted -- very few crowds!

Tex, congrats on your upcoming anniversary. I remember how excited you were about going back to the Amalfi coast -- hope you are planning to include that in your trip.

If you do shop....the prices will be nice ! We found most places to really discount items or quote an "end of season" price..... as I am a shopper !

Thanks.... 30 years went by real fast ! I am hoping to start in Venice (havent been there yet !) and then down to Tuscany, then Rome (love Rome !) and then to Amalfi area. We will stay in some hotels but also hope to plan some stays at some agriturismos (sp?) and perhaps an apt. or two. Depends on how long each stay is. I really need to get busy on this trip but have a land trip to Costa Rica in 2 weeks so busy getting ready for that one.:)

Thanks.... 30 years went by real fast ! I am hoping to start in Venice (havent been there yet !) and then down to Tuscany, then Rome (love Rome !) and then to Amalfi area. We will stay in some hotels but also hope to plan some stays at some agriturismos (sp?) and perhaps an apt. or two. Depends on how long each stay is. I really need to get busy on this trip but have a land trip to Costa Rica in 2 weeks so busy getting ready for that one.:)

Sounds wonderful and happy anniversary a bit early. :) We did a three-week Venice to Rome trip a few years ago, and it was marvelous. We stayed in Venice, Florence, Siena, Assisi and then Rome and did a lot of day trips by bus or train to places like Lucca and San Gimignano.

This year I will be braver and rent a car for the first time in Italy, albeit just putting my toes in the water for one day from Civitiavecchia to Orvieto!

We have used this company called Miles & Miles Private Tours and they definately take the stress out of touring. They have tours of Sorrento, Pompeii and many other areas. I've have had the pleasure of meeting with Roberto and Caron twice and can tell you they will make everything easy for you. Their web site is www.toursofrome.it.:)

We have used this company called Miles & Miles Private Tours and they definately take the stress out of touring. They have tours of Sorrento, Pompeii and many other areas. I've have had the pleasure of meeting with Roberto and Caron twice and can tell you they will make everything easy for you. Their web site is www.toursofrome.it.:)

Thanks, but I'm a DIY kind of person. ;)

Sounds wonderful and happy anniversary a bit early. :) We did a three-week Venice to Rome trip a few years ago, and it was marvelous. We stayed in Venice, Florence, Siena, Assisi and then Rome and did a lot of day trips by bus or train to places like Lucca and San Gimignano.

This year I will be braver and rent a car for the first time in Italy, albeit just putting my toes in the water for one day from Civitiavecchia to Orvieto!

Sounds a bit like what we want to do. Dh has driven all over the world (if he can drive in Jamaica - he can drive anywhere !!!) so no problem there. Plan to drive most everywhere EXCEPT into the larger cities as parking can be a problem. Thanks for the early congrats

Archived