Decorate Doors and Windows?

cmd1978

Just wondering, does anyone decorate their cabin doors or the windows (to the promenade or balcony)... this will be our first Royal Caribbean Cruise...have done this before on other cruise lines and always have fun with it. Thanks!

ok I'm the bad guy. I just don't understand why anyone wants to ruin the beautiful decor that RCCL has spent $$$$$ on to make their ships beautiful. Why clutter it with the decorations. Save those decorations for childrens parties at home. I know many do this but I find it tacky. I prefer the classy decor that the decorators have chosen for the ships. Just my opinion.

To answer your question since the other did not. Yes, some people do decorate their doors. Not alot of people but you def. wouldn't be the only one. Most of the ones I have seen are to celebrate a birthday or special event. In fact RCCL does this for a fee to those doors they "spent so much $$$$$" on :rolleyes:

My wife's brithday is in August and when this has coincided with our group being on a cruise we normally wake up to find our door decorated with banners etc. Some decorations can appear tacky but it all has to be taken in the spirit of the event and it is nice to see other doors decorated with birthday, anniversary decorations etc. My wife has just said it is also a way of finding your cabin when you have had a few too many to drink :)

This is something I actually see more talk about on CC than I actually see it on the ships.

Once in a while I do see some of the ships decorations on doors but very very rarely I see some private door decorations. So I don´t think many people do it.

To throw in my opinion, I agree with those having posted it looks tacky.

We brought our own decorations for our Mariner Halloween cruise. Hung stuff from the ceiling, decorated the door and put window clings on the balcony door. Looked great!

We were on Mariner for last Halloween with 21 other people. We decorated all 11 doors, balconies and walls. Had a great time and we didn't think for a minute it looked or felt tacky.

Many of us decorated our doors during our Hawaii Cruise and for our Roll Call name. We didn't go all out but I had made up two door signs off my scrapbooking program, one with a Pirate theme for our name, and the other as a CC door sign showing our own names. DH loved it as it helped him find the room. :).

Vegas, we didn't feel it was tacky either and others nearby our room complimented us on it.

We decorate our door with a magnetic backed plastic sleeve. In that I put in a printed photo and first names and the name we have given to our cruise (Mission to Mexico, Alaskan Adventure, etc.).

Makes it real easy for us to find our cabin:confused: just in case. Also, our cabin attendant always seems to remember our names:)

I guess I'm tacky. I always make magnetic signs for my cabin door. They always mention cruise critic in case anyone on the rollcall wants to stop by. It also makes it easy to find my cabin after a late night in the bars. :)

Terri

At first I laughed a bit at decorating a ship cabin door because I don't even decorate my own house for most holidays. However, this would be a great way to find your cabin easily after a long day. Our first cruise our cabin was just off the elevator on the 10th floor aft so super easy to find - no chance of taking the wrong elevator and it is just one flight up from the Lido deck. Last year our cabin was closer to the middle on the 8th floor, so I got twisted around a bit. If I had something posted on my door I may have found it a little more quickly.

Also, I was thinking of buying a few of the small dry-erase boards they make for school lockers for a group of friends we are traveling with. I figured we could just put them in the mailboxes outside our rooms so we can leave messages where we are or leave messages where to meet if we get separated. We usually did that with paper and pen, but I figured this would be more convenient. If the doors are metal, we could put them right on the doors if they are magnetized. I seemed to remember the doors being wood, but we didn't cruise this year so I couldn't remember.

I also decorate my cabin door and my balcony window. I dont find it "tacky" at all. For those of you who find it "tacky" you dont have to participate in our fun. As far as I am concerned its my cabin door and balcony for the week, I will hang up whatever I want and for those of you who find it "tacky" oh well, not my problem your so darn picky. Furthermore, its a cabin door or balcony, its not like we are putting up "tacky" decorations all over the ship. I think I will go to Party City and find the biggest Happy Anniversary sign I can find and hang it on my Boardwalk Balcony window and print out a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle sign for my cabin door. To the OP hang up whatever you want, you paid for the cruise also, its your vacation also, you're having fun so dont let anyone ruin your fun!! Do whatever you want and enjoy your cruise!!:p

At first I laughed a bit at decorating a ship cabin door because I don't even decorate my own house for most holidays. However, this would be a great way to find your cabin easily after a long day. Our first cruise our cabin was just off the elevator on the 10th floor aft so super easy to find - no chance of taking the wrong elevator and it is just one flight up from the Lido deck. Last year our cabin was closer to the middle on the 8th floor, so I got twisted around a bit. If I had something posted on my door I may have found it a little more quickly.

Also, I was thinking of buying a few of the small dry-erase boards they make for school lockers for a group of friends we are traveling with. I figured we could just put them in the mailboxes outside our rooms so we can leave messages where we are or leave messages where to meet if we get separated. We usually did that with paper and pen, but I figured this would be more convenient. If the doors are metal, we could put them right on the doors if they are magnetized. I seemed to remember the doors being wood, but we didn't cruise this year so I couldn't remember.

Dry erase boards may sound like a good idea...but be prepared you might get some unknown messages from some late night "Drunk Writters" as they pass through the halls..LOL LOL :eek::p:D

On our last cruise I decorated our door with "tropical" themed magnets. We were on a b2b cruise. It sure helped finding our cabin. However, on the second week every morning our magnets would be on doors all down the hall. Some of our magnets were stolen. I gave our stewardess extra money to find them. She found them in some other persons cabin and returned them to us. Not sure if I will decoarate again.

I do all the time......I shop Online to find fun stuff for the door, I have traveled most of my Adult life and have always done the door and Balcony. Not so much at home now.......But for 20 years you should have seen the house at every holiday......I was always told it looked like somebody threw up.........what ever holiday it was. I guess it is me having fun.

Last Christmas we decorarted the room and balcony and it lasted on the balcony for 3 days until one of the officers saw it from the bridge and asked us to take it down. But hey...3 days was pretty good!

Mike

IMG_0461.jpg?t=1267331956

Does anyone know if the Monarch has metal doors? I have just a few painted wooden magnets that I want to put on the door (flip flops, palm trees etc). I love to decorate my home for holidays and special occassions - and our first cruise is definitely a special occassion! :D

Does anyone know if the Monarch has metal doors? I have just a few painted wooden magnets that I want to put on the door (flip flops, palm trees etc). I love to decorate my home for holidays and special occassions - and our first cruise is definitely a special occassion! :D

They do......The wooden doors went out of style back in the 80's...:eek:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
OP did not ask what you thought of it. They ask if you decorated your door.

Exactly!;) By the way, does anyone know if the Carnival Dream has metal doors? I know this is the RCC section, just thought some of you past cruisers may know. Thanks.

Archived