Cambria Suites Ft Lauderdale

MI-DI

Someone asked for info on this place - We stayed for 1 night. Place new and very nice. Only problem was getting a pool towel. Not convenient for restaurants if you don't have a car. Quite a walk. Biggest problem was waiting for their shuttle to pick us up after the cruise. Had to wait an hour in pretty cold weather(41 degrees). No shelter if you have rainy weather.

Someone asked for info on this place - We stayed for 1 night. Place new and very nice. Only problem was getting a pool towel. Not convenient for restaurants if you don't have a car. Quite a walk. Biggest problem was waiting for their shuttle to pick us up after the cruise. Had to wait an hour in pretty cold weather(41 degrees). No shelter if you have rainy weather.

Thanks. We're staying April 18th, but we'll have a car so the location should be good for us. On sailing day our husbands are taking us and the luggage to the port and returning the car to the airport. That way they can just jump in a cab or on a shuttle without dragging luggage.

Did you use their shuttle from the airport to the hotel?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. We're staying April 18th, but we'll have a car so the location should be good for us. On sailing day our husbands are taking us and the luggage to the port and returning the car to the airport. That way they can just jump in a cab or on a shuttle without dragging luggage.

Do you know that they offer free round trip shuttles as well as free cruise parking? I just read this on one of the booking websites. I really want to stay at Embassy on 17th but am considering switching as between the cost of cruise package and daily parking, the cost is more than double what Cambria is. Even if we add on the cost of breakfast it's a no brainer. My big concern is we really like the idea of leaving the car in the parking lot and hopping on a shuttle to get around. But we're staying for 2 nights and the cost is a big consideration.

I have a ton of questions, if you don't mind. :D Is the building actually new or is it refurbished? If I read correctly, they have a breakfast buffet, do you recall the price? Do you know how the food was? Was there a place to eat dinner right in the hotel? If so do you have any idea how the food and prices are? I read they have an indoor pool and jacuzzi yet one photo I saw looked like an outdoor pool. Can you tell me which it is please.

I'm curious as to the layout of the hotel. Is it built around an atrium like a lot of the Florida hotels are? Are the room entrances inside through a hallway or outside... I know, sorry for so many questions. I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Jo

As I stated in the other thread on this hotel we will be staying here on March 19th and plan on leaving our car parked during the cruise and using the shuttle. I have read on other threads and on Trip Advisor that the cost of the breakfast buffet is $8.00 p/p, that there is a restaurant, it is an outdoor pool and the hotel is brand new (it opened on Jan 14th).

I will report back when we return.

But the fact that you had to wait outside in the cold is not the hotel's fault.

You could have hopped in a cab and been to the hotel in five minutes. You chose to wait.

http://www.cambriasuitesfortlauderdale.com/#Scene_1

probably not an atrium but from the picture/photo looks like interior corridors..( pretty much any new build hotel these days is inside corridors except the VERY low end ones, and even they seem to be catching up!)

That's why I asked if it was a new build or refurbished.

Thanks!

Jo

We are staying here in a cple of weeks time before boarding the Ruby Princess. Can anyone confirm the following.

1/ According to the hotel there are 2 restaurants adjacent to the hotel.

2/ From looking at Google Maps there seems to be a fairly large shopping complex less than a mile away.

We fly in from Australia via LAX the morning before we sail so we will have a day and a night there. Was hoping to do a bit of last minute shopping for deoderant etc as well as bottled water to take on the islands.

I am told there is a shopping center not too far away that you could walk to if walking does not bother you. It has a K-Mart and drug store, fast food resturants etc. The hotel shuttle may even drop you off.

My family and I just stayed at this hotel on March 6th before a cruise on LIberty of the Seas on the 7th. The hotel is brand new and the room itself was very nice (we had a two bedroom king suite) which worked out great for my family of four. We have two six year old that were pretty tired by the time we got to the hotel. If you don't mind walking to the shopping complex and restuarants (at least 1/2 a mile to a mile to each) then you should be fine, however, with two tired six year olds walking this distance was not realistic. There is NOTHING adjacent to the property. It is set back from the main road by at least 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile.

While the room was nice the service was actually really BAD! I know most people rave about these hotels nationally on Trip Advisor, however, it is all in who you hire for the particular hotel, and in this case the staff is just not up to par (two restaurant staff started arguing directly in front of guest, as an example). The worst part of the experience for us was we arrived at the hotel by 1:45 and were told that even though check in was not until 3:00 they would try to have the room ready in 20 minutes. I told the person at the desk that I had requested early check-in and that since I have special needs children that this request would be accomodated. He indicated that he had no record of this but since the room would be ready in 20 minutes it should not be a problem. The room ended up not being ready until 3:00, which, for the issues my children have ended up being a big problem. Also, at the hotel , breakfast is NOT included and for a family of four you will end up paying $28 for a farily mediocre breakfast. Keep in mind that at most hotels breakfast is included so, whereas, the price seems really low, when you add this in the cost ends up being about the same.

I know the hotel has a shuttle to both the Fort Lauderdale Airport (takes a while get the shuttle to the airport since it is doing double duty between the airport and cruise port) and the Cruise port and the rooms are nice, however, next time I will take my travel agents advice, spend the extra money and stay at the Hyatt Place North (if you are interested book through valuetrips.com for the lowest rate). I would recommend that you do the same.

My family and I just stayed at this hotel on March 6th before a cruise on LIberty of the Seas on the 7th. The hotel is brand new and the room itself was very nice (we had a two bedroom king suite) which worked out great for my family of four. We have two six year old that were pretty tired by the time we got to the hotel. If you don't mind walking to the shopping complex and restuarants (at least 1/2 a mile to a mile to each) then you should be fine, however, with two tired six year olds walking this distance was not realistic. There is NOTHING adjacent to the property. It is set back from the main road by at least 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile.

While the room was nice the service was actually really BAD! I know most people rave about these hotels nationally on Trip Advisor, however, it is all in who you hire for the particular hotel, and in this case the staff is just not up to par (two restaurant staff started arguing directly in front of guest, as an example). The worst part of the experience for us was we arrived at the hotel by 1:45 and were told that even though check in was not until 3:00 they would try to have the room ready in 20 minutes. I told the person at the desk that I had requested early check-in and that since I have special needs children that this request would be accomodated. He indicated that he had no record of this but since the room would be ready in 20 minutes it should not be a problem. The room ended up not being ready until 3:00, which, for the issues my children have ended up being a big problem. Also, at the hotel , breakfast is NOT included and for a family of four you will end up paying $28 for a farily mediocre breakfast. Keep in mind that at most hotels breakfast is included so, whereas, the price seems really low, when you add this in the cost ends up being about the same.

I know the hotel has a shuttle to both the Fort Lauderdale Airport (takes a while get the shuttle to the airport since it is doing double duty between the airport and cruise port) and the Cruise port and the rooms are nice, however, next time I will take my travel agents advice, spend the extra money and stay at the Hyatt Place North (if you are interested book through valuetrips.com for the lowest rate). I would recommend that you do the same.

I am really surprised that you think you can stay at any other hotel in the area for the same price...good luck with that. If you want luxery and high end service then maybe paying more would be a better choice for you. Sorry that I am appearing rude, but I have been reading alot of these posts lately that people are expecting so much and paying so little. We are going to be staying at Cambria in June and as long as I have a bed to sleep in, I am good...besides what more do you really need with a hotel. Sure all the extras are nice, but when you are like us and don't have the extra money you make do with what you have!

I am really surprised that you think you can stay at any other hotel in the area for the same price...good luck with that. If you want luxery and high end service then maybe paying more would be a better choice for you. Sorry that I am appearing rude, but I have been reading alot of these posts lately that people are expecting so much and paying so little. We are going to be staying at Cambria in June and as long as I have a bed to sleep in, I am good...besides what more do you really need with a hotel. Sure all the extras are nice, but when you are like us and don't have the extra money you make do with what you have!

Actually, the room we stayed in at this hotel cost us $134 per night (2 bedroom king suite). Since there is nothing around this hotel and everyone was hungry the next morning breakfast was a must and cost approximately $28. When you add these costs together you get $162 for the stay (before tax). If we were to have booked the Hyatt Place North through valuetrips.com we would have spent $159. Considering that you are going in June, the rate on valuetrips.com is $89 per night and this includes breakfast. So, I am not sure where they real cost savings is staying at the Cambria Suites (the lowest rate I have seen quoted for this hotel is $99 per night). Also, given that the Hyatt is apparently much more centrally located for restuarants and last minute-pre cruise shopping if needed this would cinch the deal for me.

Also, my main issue with the Cambria Suites was the customer service. As I mentioned, my children are special needs and as such I requested early check-in and was told this would not be a problem when I booked. It ended up being a huge issue which the hotel management was unwilling to do anything about. Whereas this may not be an issue for you I wanted all to be aware that there are customer service issues with this hotel and if there are problems with your stay, they could prove difficult to resolve.

Actually, the room we stayed in at this hotel cost us $134 per night (2 bedroom king suite). Since there is nothing around this hotel and everyone was hungry the next morning breakfast was a must and cost approximately $28. When you add these costs together you get $162 for the stay (before tax). If we were to have booked the Hyatt Place North through valuetrips.com we would have spent $159. Considering that you are going in June, the rate on valuetrips.com is $89 per night and this includes breakfast. So, I am not sure where they real cost savings is staying at the Cambria Suites (the lowest rate I have seen quoted for this hotel is $99 per night). Also, given that the Hyatt is apparently much more centrally located for restuarants and last minute-pre cruise shopping if needed this would cinch the deal for me.

Also, my main issue with the Cambria Suites was the customer service. As I mentioned, my children are special needs and as such I requested early check-in and was told this would not be a problem when I booked. It ended up being a huge issue which the hotel management was unwilling to do anything about. Whereas this may not be an issue for you I wanted all to be aware that there are customer service issues with this hotel and if there are problems with your stay, they could prove difficult to resolve.

Look all I am saying if you wanted the Hyatt so bad, then why didn't you stay there. Don't bad mouth when you made your choice. I mean really, customer service may have been just as bad at any other place, you just don't know until you get there. However, for us, we just aren't that picky and we are getting the room for a lot less than the price you mentioned on that one website. Who know maybe we will not have good service either, but we aren't paying for serive we are paying for the room, if we wanted top notch, five star service then we would go somewhere else and pay for it. Hope you have better luck where ever you go next time and I hope they can live up to your expectations.

Look all I am saying if you wanted the Hyatt so bad, then why didn't you stay there. Don't bad mouth when you made your choice. I mean really, customer service may have been just as bad at any other place, you just don't know until you get there. However, for us, we just aren't that picky and we are getting the room for a lot less than the price you mentioned on that one website. Who know maybe we will not have good service either, but we aren't paying for serive we are paying for the room, if we wanted top notch, five star service then we would go somewhere else and pay for it. Hope you have better luck where ever you go next time and I hope they can live up to your expectations.

I did not have a preference for Cambria vs Hyatt when I started as the Cambria, nationally, actually got better recommendations then Hyatt. Also, did not learn about the proximity to restaurants and shopping until after our stay. I absolutely agree that the service experience could have been as bad at the Hyatt, I will never know. Also, was not expecting five star service, I would just have like the room within the 20 to 30 minute time frame as intially promised when we walked in the door. To most, this does not seem like a big deal, however, when you have children that have issues like mine it becomes a big deal.

I hope you have a much better experience. By the way, the trip on Liberty of the Seas could not have been better with excellent customer service all around. If I cruise again I would have no hesitation doing so with Royal and would recommend them to anyone. I looks by the picture on you signature that you might be going on Oasis in June. I read that that ship is fantistic. It should be a great time. Even though Liberty was fantastic, I think I would book Oasis next time just to experience all that it has to offer. Take care and happy cruising!

I did not have a preference for Cambria vs Hyatt when I started as the Cambria, nationally, actually got better recommendations then Hyatt. !

This is why I dislike Trip Advisor so much. Their reviews blow and anyone who has ever worked in the hotel business ignores TA.

I did not have a preference for Cambria vs Hyatt when I started as the Cambria, nationally, actually got better recommendations then Hyatt. Also, did not learn about the proximity to restaurants and shopping until after our stay. I absolutely agree that the service experience could have been as bad at the Hyatt, I will never know. Also, was not expecting five star service, I would just have like the room within the 20 to 30 minute time frame as intially promised when we walked in the door. To most, this does not seem like a big deal, however, when you have children that have issues like mine it becomes a big deal.

I hope you have a much better experience. By the way, the trip on Liberty of the Seas could not have been better with excellent customer service all around. If I cruise again I would have no hesitation doing so with Royal and would recommend them to anyone. I looks by the picture on you signature that you might be going on Oasis in June. I read that that ship is fantistic. It should be a great time. Even though Liberty was fantastic, I think I would book Oasis next time just to experience all that it has to offer. Take care and happy cruising!

Well we are hoping to like Cambria. To be honest, I really want to stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th street but we are trying to save money so we can spend more on the cruise. This will be our first time on RCCL and I am very excited! I have heard many good thing about the Oasis, so I can't wait. Have a great day!

We stayed at the Cambria Suites in FtL for 2 nights Feb 24 & 25. The hotel is hard to find and is not located within walking distance for most people to much of anything. The room was lovely, very well sized and a great bathroom. The mall is within 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile, but that is just the beginning of the mall. To walk the whole thing would be quite a hike. Several restaurants are available within the complex as well as familiar stores (Kmart, $ store, shoe store, drug store, etc).

I have to agree with the poor service comment earlier. We checked in around 7:30 p.m. so no problem with the room being ready. The next day we left the hotel for breakfast (IHOP) and drove around the area for several hours. When we returned around 3 pm our room still had not been serviced. We went to the pool, which is outside, and finally the room was serviced just before 5 p.m.

We did not eat at the hotel. The breakfast didn't appear to be much more than the "free continental breakfast" you get at most motels. We did see people eating in the evening, but I did hear one person ask where the restaurant was. It appears to be in the middle of the lobby.

Front desk personnel were very responsive and they do have 2 computers available in the lobby for anyone's use. Internet connection was slow however, especially when both computers were in use.

hateswaterloves2cruise, can you tell me how the drive is to get to Ft. Lauderdale beach and about how long it takes. I tried to map quest the address but it doesn't seem to recognize it because the building is so new.

Also, are there any restaurants nearby. I know they aren't walking distance but I'm thinking we might not want to drive too far to eat a meal.

Thank you for your review. I appreciate any and all details I can get. :D

JoAnn

hateswaterloves2cruise, can you tell me how the drive is to get to Ft. Lauderdale beach and about how long it takes. I tried to map quest the address but it doesn't seem to recognize it because the building is so new.

Also, are there any restaurants nearby. I know they aren't walking distance but I'm thinking we might not want to drive too far to eat a meal.

Thank you for your review. I appreciate any and all details I can get. :D

JoAnn

The hotel is actually just outside Dania Beach. We drove there and it only took 5-10 minutes. I don't think it's too far to Ft. Lauderdale beach but I'm really not sure. We stayed at the Hyatt last year and that was close to the FLL port and beach area.

There are several restaurants in the mall near the hotel. there was a diner, a salad buffet, a D&B, and several others. You have to drive into the mall area, stores along both sides. Go past the stores and you come into an area w/the restaurants. You could walk to them but we are Sr. Citizens and it was too much for us, younger people could probably do it easily. When you exit the hotel drive, go left (you have to go right to do it) but the area to the right didn't look too shiny. Have a great vacation.

Good idea to mapquest the mall or Best western. I wasn't sure what was close enough to do that with. Thanks!

We and one other person will have a car but everyone else is flying in. Our group ranges in age from 40ish to 80ish :D So walking is out of the question for a few. Taking a taxi isn't a problem but I don't know how far we would want to go. We stayed at Embassy Suites, last Dec. and that location was perfect but we were all trying to budget some,the free parking is a big help and the room cost us half what ES cost. I was afraid to recommend the Hyatt to my friends because I've read so much about the loud AC and the musty smell in the rooms and halls. If it was just us I might have chanced it but I didn't want to be responsible for others being unhappy with it. However, I can't seem to get my mind around the area of Cambria Suites. I'm just hoping I didn't make a mistake because of the location being more remote.

Thanks for all your help!

JoAnn

Archived