Calling all party hardy types!

JAMS1

Besides all of the good suggestions for on-board fun I always plan really exciting excursions when in port. Bus tours don't excite me too much and I am usually cruising with young adults. It has been years since we cruised Alaska so I am not familiar with what activities are offered today. Maybe you can also lurk on their roll call and get some ideas. Cherie

Hi -

In all of our experiences with HAL I have never encounted a "party hardy" crowd...I have seen a few of the same folks sitting at the pool bar day after day-even in the morning - some participate in the pool games - they are fun to watch. :) - Hey, that is why they call it vacation have fun, who cares - but if they are worried they will not have fun maybe they should have friends join them with same interest then at least they have their own little group...

Party on Garth:p

We have done quite a few HAL cruises.

Part Hardy -- not on HAL.

As for pool games -- they have a couple of mild ones on the Caribbean, Mexican cruises. But we never had any on an Alaskan cruise.

Not all the ships have the Pub Crawl -- this usually depends on the type of passengers on a cruise. If there is an older crowd -- don't count on it.

I have spent 28 days on Alaska cruises with HAL. Not once did I find a party hardy atmosphere. I have enjoyed every minute of the cruises, but only a couple of times have I seen much atmosphere after about midnight. Part of that is the age of the passengers, most of us a bit beyond the party hardy stage, and part of it is the port intensive nature of the cruises. Hard to party till 4am then be up at 7 to do the whale watching. I have traveled with people 10 years older than me, I am 51, and people 25 years my junior, and all have enjoyed the experience, for the experience, but not for the party nature of the ship.

The evening entertainment with piano bars and dancing can get upbeat depending on the people who are there. It only takes a few to get things hopping. :)

So, since you're going to Alaska, you may need to prepare your friends for a more subdued atmosphere.

So true. We had heard HAL was subdued, and we liked that on our first cruise (10 day Maasdam), but we also like to dance at night---well into the early hours. We discovered the Crow's Nest hopped until 1 or 1:30 at least 8 of the 10 nights, enough so we were happy. Although our cruise had a lot of younger couples (20s & 30s), few of them joined in the late night fun. It was us older folks "rockin' the casbah." I think with HAL, you just don't know what kind of late-night atmosphere you're going to find.

So if your cruise is more subdued in this respect, tell your friends to go out and make it happen. They might meet others who will join them, but were just waiting for someone else to start the party.

Archived