Newbie question: Balcony Guarantee

S.E.

Hello. I am completely new to cruising, and this is my first time posting on this board. I have a question on cabins. I am booked on the Carnival Freedom, and will be sailing June 5, 2010. It is a balcony quarantee. The questions I have are what are my chances of getting an unobstructed view balcony? Also, what is an obstructed view? Do you have to peer around something to see the ocean?

Thanks for your replies. It can get nerve racking not knowing what to expect.

Hello. I am completely new to cruising, and this is my first time posting on this board. I have a question on cabins. I am booked on the Carnival Freedom, and will be sailing June 5, 2010. It is a balcony quarantee. The questions I have are what are my chances of getting an unobstructed view balcony? Also, what is an obstructed view? Do you have to peer around something to see the ocean?

Thanks for your replies. It can get nerve racking not knowing what to expect.

My guess is slim to none.

I don't believe the Freedom has obstructed view balconies...

at least from the deck plans I saw.

But, it might be wrong.

Your balcony might be unobstructed, but it could be in a spot where noise from service area, elevator, etc could be an issue. Or foreward enough that it wouldn't be the first balcony to be snapped up by someone who was booking the location to minimize the chance of being seasick.

Sometimes the view is obstructed by a lifeboat. This wouldn't keep you from seeing out, just from seeing directly down into the water.

The lifeboats on this class of ship are recessed under a deck. The view directly down is not obstructed.

But the advice of the previous poster stating you could get a cabin that has some noise- (the cabins under the pizza kitchen is one idea that comes to mind)

Thank you all for your comments. That is good news about it not being obstructed, but I don't want a cabin with noise. Maybe I will change the type of room from guarantee. Am I able to do this? If so, what would be a good location? Thanks for bearing with me. :cool:

We just had a balcony guarantee on the Pride and ended up with NO obstructions whatsoever and no noise, no nothing. We were happy. We took a chance and did fine.

WE did however a few years back change from a guarantee cabin as I noticed when our cabin was issued a symbol that meant beds couldn't be pushed together... We didn't want to sleep like Lucy & Ricky for the week so we switched !!!

Thank you all for your comments. That is good news about it not being obstructed, but I don't want a cabin with noise. Maybe I will change the type of room from guarantee. Am I able to do this? If so, what would be a good location? Thanks for bearing with me. :cool:

Yes, you can do that-- but it will cost you a tad more. Sometimes paying for that piece of mind is worth it.

Remember-- the higher you go the more you pay. The best deck is the Empress deck- As close to the aft elevators as possible. This puts you close to everything= 2 decks up is food/pools 2 decks down is entertainment. The only time you gotta travel is to see the night time shows in the lounge al the way forward.

We just had a balcony guarantee on the Pride and ended up with NO obstructions whatsoever and no noise, no nothing. We were happy. We took a chance and did fine.

WE did however a few years back change from a guarantee cabin as I noticed when our cabin was issued a symbol that meant beds couldn't be pushed together... We didn't want to sleep like Lucy & Ricky for the week so we switched !!!

A few weeks ago we booked a inside guarantee, and our friends booked the balcony guarantee. Before booking I called carnival to ask if there was a chance any of us could get a room in which the beds could not be put together. I was told no, we would all for sure be guaranteed a room in which the beds could be one. We're still all waiting on room assignments for our April 11th cruise, but I will be upset if we end up in seperate beds.

Anyone know if what I was told by carnival is incorrect?:confused:

A few weeks ago we booked a inside guarantee, and our friends booked the balcony guarantee. Before booking I called carnival to ask if there was a chance any of us could get a room in which the beds could not be put together. I was told no, we would all for sure be guaranteed a room in which the beds could be one. We're still all waiting on room assignments for our April 11th cruise, but I will be upset if we end up in seperate beds.

Anyone know if what I was told by carnival is incorrect?:confused:

I was under the impression that a 1A cabin (beds may not join) would not be assigned on an IS (inside guarantee) booking. I realize that 1As are included in that category, but I don't think it is done. I had the same worry on my first cruise and was told by our TA we would not be assigned a 1A. It appears the minimum cabin category for an IS booking is a 4A. There may be some exceptions, but I think that is the usual practice.

Yes, you can do that-- but it will cost you a tad more. Sometimes paying for that piece of mind is worth it.

Remember-- the higher you go the more you pay. The best deck is the Empress deck- As close to the aft elevators as possible. This puts you close to everything= 2 decks up is food/pools 2 decks down is entertainment. The only time you gotta travel is to see the night time shows in the lounge al the way forward.

Thank you. There is a balcony on the Empress deck close to the aft elevators. The problem is, it is right across from the pantry. Is this a bad room to get? What exactly can I expect being across from a pantry?

Thanks.

Thank you. There is a balcony on the Empress deck close to the aft elevators. The problem is, it is right across from the pantry. Is this a bad room to get? What exactly can I expect being across from a pantry?

Thanks.

Where is the pantry located?

someone told me a while ago about soda machine and an ice dispenser right by my door. Got onboard and neither was there.

I am leaving on Sunday- if you gave me where a pantry is located I will check it out for you.

We are in 7411

Where is the pantry located?

someone told me a while ago about soda machine and an ice dispenser right by my door. Got onboard and neither was there.

I am leaving on Sunday- if you gave me where a pantry is located I will check it out for you.

We are in 7411

That would be wonderful. It is between rooms 7363 and 7275

Thanks.

ETA: They are offering the room for $50 less than the guarantee. That sounds weird. What do you think?

I booked a Bal GTY. last year on the Splendor. I was nervous but I got an amazing Bal. on the Lido deck, extremely convenient. I thought the big movie screen and the stage next to our cabin would be a noise factor. I asked the question on this board and immediately got an answer from someone who stayed in that cabin a few weeks before. He said you would not have a noise problem and he was absolutely right! Bal. Gty. is the luck of the draw, but after last year's experience, I would give it another try!

Archived