Coke on Pepsi on Cruise lines

AK Dreaming

Just like many people have their preferences in wine or beer, many people do prefer one brand of soda over another. Some don't. Nothing wrong with that. To me Diet Sprite tastes nasty. Sierra Mist tastes lemony. Mountain Dew is my current fave. I can't have cola, but if I did, Pepsi One is the one I would carry onboard a cruiseship.

I see a whole lot of judgements being made on this thread.

If the OP wants to know what kinda of soda is being served...could it be that they just wanted to be prepared in the case they needed to provide their own? Now there's a thought.

Someone actually taking care of their own wants and needs without being a burden to someone else. What a concept.

Nothing was said about not taking a cruise because of it.:rolleyes:

And since when is soda a child's beverage? That's just too silly for words.

I'm taking my own supply of the soda of my choice on both of my cruises. What's the big deal about being prepared?

I think people just like to argue to be arguing.

I see a whole lot of judgements being made on this thread.

If the OP wants to know what kinda of soda is being served...could it be that they just wanted to be prepared in the case they needed to provide their own? Now there's a thought.

Someone actually taking care of their own wants and needs without being a burden to someone else. What a concept.

Nothing was said about not taking a cruise because of it.:rolleyes:

And since when is soda a child's beverage? That's just too silly for words.

I'm taking my own supply of the soda of my choice on both of my cruises. What's the big deal about being prepared?

I think people just like to argue to be arguing.

Nice defence, granny :)

But an unwinnable case :D

Several posters suggested bring-your-own Coke/buy some ashore.

No word of thanks or "I'd thought of that" from the OP, who instead then chose to dig a deeper hole by taking a pop at the brand of water.:D

What a way to spend a whole cruise with nothing to drink

No, Grannie, even Perry Mason wouldn't win this one ;)

But yes, this whole silly thread can end up proving your last point, so I'll butt out now.

Regards to all.

John Bull

My post did not say they would not cruise if they did not have their preference.

I just stated that I have a hard time understanding having such a fixation on one brand of cola.

I guess that's rather like my saying I don't understand why the fixation between scotch and bourbon or highland scotch and lowland scotch. Some people care for a specific thing. Big deal.

For all those addicted to children's beverages:

NCL carries Pepsi Products.

ALL the other mainstream Cruise Lines carry Coke Products.

I see. Someone enjoys soda, which is in your opinion a "children's beverage," so they must be addicted. And BTW, do you give young children caffeinated beverages? I sure don't.

I prefer Diet Coke, but I also prefer freestyle cruising there I will go with NCL.

I can always bring the Coke if I wish. It's not the hard to figure out.

Exactly. I think that's the best advice to give AK Dreaming: Find out what the cruise line you're considering carries and bring your own if necessary.

beachchick

I drink Mt. Dew.. Especially the new throwback stuff made with real sugar instead of syrup.. I even have bottles, unopened, going back to the mid 60s.. I have the last case of throwback sitting on a shelf for my Canada trip in June.. Yes, I am a fan..

I do agree with the load of "judgement" passed down based on what people prefer to drink.. I don't drink alcohol, but I would never disparage your choice to drink it.. I would even care enough to comment on it unless your choice ended up on my shoes.. I just think that it says a lot about the people who do make comment's like children' s drink.. And yes, that's a judgement too.. :D

I used to work for Pepsi.. Couldn't handle the union aspect.. My father in law worked there for 30 years..

I guess I'm not so good at reading peoples' minds. I don't see the ridiculing, just the abject amazement.

I drink almost no pop. I do like to drink beer, which is certainly a problem on cruise ships as they have VERY little drinkable beer. I make do. I certainly don't think that it could ever have a bearing on which trip I would take.

oh no! don't tell me that! i plan to drink beer everyday. are the choices that bad? i'm cruising NCL epic.:eek:

Yes, the choices are horrible.

Unless you actually drink and like such swill as Bud,Coor's Light,Bud Light, et al. If that's the case, then you'll be ecstatic.

any microbrews?

anything along the lines of Guinness?

The only CHANCE for a micro is if the ship gets it at their homeport.

2 years ago, the NCL Spirit had Coal Porter out of Maine. I didn't know that it was the only ship that had it. It was left over from the Spirit's summertime run out of Boston or some such NE port.

The Alaska run might have an Alaskan or Oregon choice.

Guinness Draught in cans is pretty much always available.

Does either NCL or RC serve only Coke or Pepsi? I have been stuck at two places this weekend that only served Pepsi products and that would be awful for days at a time on a cruise.

They are both a cola drink. They both look the same. They both are carbonated. Is there any difference between the 2 brands?

DON

They are both a cola drink. They both look the same. They both are carbonated. Is there any difference between the 2 brands?

DON

Yes, there is a difference.

IMHO, that's kind of like saying that a glass of "Three-Buck Chuck" and a glass of Acacia Pinot Noir are both wine and both look the same, so therefore there must not be any difference.....

Yes, there is a difference.

IMHO, that's kind of like saying that a glass of "Three-Buck Chuck" and a glass of Acacia Pinot Noir are both wine and both look the same, so therefore there must not be any difference.....

That's a stretch.

I'll agree that there's a difference, but it ain't worth worryin' about it for a week's trip.

What a sad way to choose a cruise.

John Bull

I agree. For years we brought our own Pepsis onboard because the cruise lines only sold Coke. Now we can leave the Pepsi at home when we go on NCL, or pick some up in port on the Pepsi-free cruise lines. No biggie one way or the other.

+1 to that!

+2

I guess I'm not so good at reading peoples' minds. I don't see the ridiculing, just the abject amazement.

I drink almost no pop. I do like to drink beer, which is certainly a problem on cruise ships as they have VERY little drinkable beer. I make do. I certainly don't think that it could ever have a bearing on which trip I would take.

But I bet you'd be happy if the cruise lines allowed you to bring beer onboard because you could bring what you like. Now, having a specific soda is not going to have any influence on the cruises we choose, but there are so many beverages onboard that both my DH and I do not drink. My DH in particular would be relegated to seltzer, juice, and coffee (assuming it's halfway decent; it's often little more than swill). Although he loves seltzer, he likes a variety; although he enjoys juice, there are several reasons why it's not a good idea to drink it all day; although he likes good coffee, he can only drink about one cup per day these days. He doesn't drink alcohol and dislikes tea (ice and hot), lemonade that's been made from powder, and fruit punch of any kind. I can't drink diet sodas sweetened with aspartame and don't drink corn syruped sodas either. So I bring a brand that I can drink and do enjoy. We are happy that the cruise lines allow us to bring on the soda that we prefer.

But we'd never choose a cruise based on the soda choices. OTOH, if it is important to someone, it's not up to me to say that they are wrong or idiotic for making their own choices. There are cruises we wouldn't take for any number of reasons...some of which might seem insignificant to others.

DON

Yes, there are significant differences in taste and ingredients, carbonation, and so forth. There really are. I wouldn't use Three Buck Chuck versus Acacia as a comparison, but I would say it's like saying that chardonnay and sauvignon blanc are both white wines, so what's the difference?

I agree. For years we brought our own Pepsis onboard because the cruise lines only sold Coke. Now we can leave the Pepsi at home when we go on NCL, or pick some up in port on the Pepsi-free cruise lines. No biggie one way or the other.

+2

But...What if the cruise lines actually started banning passengers from bringing soda onboard? It's not the end of the world, but for many people it would be a biggie not to be able to either buy what they like onboard or stop and buy it on the way to the pier.

beachchick

But I bet you'd be happy if the cruise lines allowed you to bring beer onboard because you could bring what you like.

beachchick

Ummm, no. That would require an effort that I'm not willing to make.

I can make do without mt faves.

Letting pop run one's life is just pretty silly.

I can drink either, although I prefer to drink Diet Coke. On a short NCL cruiise in November, they served only Pepsi products, which my wife considers to be swill, and heads for the iced tea, bad as that is. We may go on another NCL cruise, but, it would have to be one heck of a deal

• 2 weeks later...

I don't pick my cruises for the soda they serve however I do have my soda that I prefer (Diet Coke). I don't want to complain about what is served at one place or another - but I want to be proactive and take care of my own desires. Here is my problem...I am cruising NCL (pepsi products) so I need to provide my own. I am flying in the day of the cruise and since it is only a 4 night cruise I plan on carryon luggage only. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can acquire a 6-12 pack of diet coke prior to getting to the pier?

Pity the poor "flatlanders" that have to drink 3buck Chuck, while those of us in California enjoy our "2buck Chuck". Yes, y'all it is only $1.99 here in wine country.

Although not a deal breaker, I do prefer Coke products, and any NON-NCL cruiseline.

Archived