GTY Cabins - Help needed.

cruise6932

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this board's and I'm a little concern.

I'm after some advice please guys.

I'm travelling on the Grand Princess on the 22nd May, I have been on this ship before but I picked a cabin number when I booked my cruise up.

This year I decided to book a GTY balcony cabin as I got a really good deal, but reading through these boards I seen a horror stories, that a few days before the cruise was due to depart there cruise got cancelled as they had only booked a GTY cabin, have any of you heard about this before?

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this board's and I'm a little concern.

I'm after some advice please guys.

I'm travelling on the Grand Princess on the 22nd May, I have been on this ship before but I picked a cabin number when I booked my cruise up.

This year I decided to book a GTY balcony cabin as I got a really good deal, but reading through these boards I seen a horror stories, that a few days before the cruise was due to depart there cruise got cancelled as they had only booked a GTY cabin, have any of you heard about this before?

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

I'm not a very experienced cruiser, but we just booked a GTY balcony on RCCL NOTS and went online once the "e-paperwork" went through and got our cabin assignment and set sail passes. Bought the cruise 3 weeks prior to sail date, and had the actual cabin # two days later - and it doesn't seem to be a bad one as it isn't way up in the bow. I can't see where they'd cancel you. My understanding is once they're sold out of all cabins in that general category(such as balconies) they won't sell a GTY.

The odds of having your cruise canceled involuntarily on Princess are very very low. It just doesn't happen. If Princess has oversold a cruise, it will keep offering incentives to people until enough cabins are freed up.

Your cabin assignment will probably show up on the Cruise Personalizer soon since the final payment date just passed. Once in a while, people will not get their cabin assignments until they reach the pier.

We are on the Grand 2 weeks later and have also booked a GTY, but do not yet have an assignment..My understanding is this classification is just that, guaranteed, as opposed to wait list where you may or may not get a cabin.As others have suggested if the ship is overbooked they will offer incentives to those that have a guaranteed reservation until they free up enough space. As far as when you get the exact assignment, it can be anytime right up until boarding.We are also on the Grand on March 26 which we booked a BF GTY in January. Early Feb. we got our assignment-an upgrade to BA.WE are hopping for an upgrade on the next one too, one of the benefits of not taking a specific cabin assignment.

No, I've NEVER heard of this before so there's got to be a lot more to this story. People post what they want you to read and often, critical facts are left out. Any one of several things could have happened so I'd take any story like this with a big dose of skepticism.

If you book a GTY, you can be assigned a cabin anywhere between the day after booking to embarkation. It'll be assigned when a cabin is available. It's "Guaranteed" so that even if you don't know your cabin # before arriving at the ship, one will be assigned.

You are "Guaranteed" a cabin just like everyone else. If the ship is over booked, they will make offers for volunteers to move to another cruise. They will made the deals better and better until they get the cabins they need.

I read the post from the member who said because they booked a guarantee they had their cruise cancelled 6 days before sailing. I noticed that the poster never gave any real explanation or details of what exactly happened (I am going to venture to guess they had a waitlisted booking, which doesn't guarantee you will be on that ship unless cabins open up. Totally differenent then booking a confirmed guarantee), but I would guess there is a lot more to this story then that quick statement they made.

I also have never heard (and up until that post I refer to) had never read of this happening on a Princess cruise before in my life.

Personally, I wouldn't give this a second thought. If you have a confirmed booking, even if it is a guarantee, there WILL be a stateroom for you come cruise time.

Gotta love it when someone posts something like that and doesn't give the details, I knew that was going to scare the dickens out of some new to Princess worried their cruise would be cancelled because they did not have an assigned cabin. No worries, really!

I booked a guarantee cabin on Island Princess early December. I had my cabin assigned by the end of January. I even asked to switch my cabin # and they did it for me. Upgraded 6 levels (from BH to BB) too! :)

Booking a guarantee is a great way to save money!

Archived