Dover Castle

I'm posting this a couple of places in hopes of getting an answer:

I heard there was a public bus very near the port in Dover that goes up to Dover Castle? Can anyone tell me about this and where we might catch it?

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

I know the basics of Dover but I'm not a local.

The Castle is about 2 miles from the cruise terminal. And not a good walk. You can avoid the relentless truck traffic on the main road by cutting through the marina & along the seafront, but the last part is up a seriously steep hill.

Bus details here http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2

options 3/4 is the best route, I entered a random date/time.

It doesn't look like there's a direct bus service, you'd need to walk out to the main road (5 mins), catch the No 61 to the Charlton Centre, walk 5 mins (web-site's 15 mins is nonsense) to Pencester Road & catch the No 15 to the Castle's visitor entrance bus stop.

I think a taxi might be your best bet.

John Bull

We arrived from Heathrow at the pier early and did not want to sit aboard the ship for several hours like so many others did.

So four of us took a cab to the castle. It was a few bucks, nothing serious, and we had a good time looking around. See below.

Then we walked down to the town and enjoyed the local atmosphere. It was easy, but we did miss seeing the 'tunnels' because of the time slot we were given.

b027.jpg

The entrance to the tunnels is right near the castle and is included with the ticket price. Unfortunately our time slot was for 4:00 pm which was too late for us. Perhaps another day.

b030.jpgb031.jpg

After we left we walked down these steps to go into town. The balluster was plastered with entrance tickets, so we added out own.

b034.jpgb033.jpg

For more details go to the web site http://www.*****.com/Dover.html

We arrived from Heathrow at the pier early and did not want to sit aboard the ship for several hours like so many others did.

So four of us took a cab to the castle. It was a few bucks, nothing serious, and we had a good time looking around. See below.

Then we walked down to the town and enjoyed the local atmosphere. It was easy, but we did miss seeing the 'tunnels' because of the time slot we were given.

For more details go to the web site http://www.*****.com/Dover.html

Lair Bear, as always, had some very nice photos of the grounds for the Dover Castle. Below are a few of my pictures that give you a sense of what you will see of this castle and the White Cliffs from your ship, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Harbor activities and the White Cliffs of Dover:

DepartDover.jpg

Both the Castle and the White Cliffs of Dover:

DoverCastle1.jpg

A closer view of Dover castle overlooking the harbor:

DoverCastleTight.jpg

Archived