The Benefits of Having A Balcony!

I used to book balconies for all the of the reasons previously posted. Now, however, I book balconies for one very important reason...a balcony saved my sanity when I was quarantined with Noro on a Princess ship. If I hadn't been able to go out and get a bit of fresh air and feel the sun on my face during my time in Noro jail, I'm convinced I'd have been even more miserable than I was (and trust me, I was plenty miserable!) The fresh air in the cabin when I opened the balcony door in the throes of sickness and the ability to go and sit on the balcony after the first 24 hours of seemingly-near-death passed were worth three times the cost of the room!

Unlike Mrs Pete who posted earlier, I won't cruise without a balcony anymore. I'd rather stay home.

DH and I will be going on our first cruise in May for our anniversary. We decided to book a balcony and are so....glad we did especially after reading all the post about the joys of a balcony. I'm very excited about this cruise!!!:D

Great idea! Did you need any special hardware for the hammock?

Add another to the inquiring minds... how'd you hook up the hammock? That is my dream right there... looking out over the horizon with a good book then napping the day away. Ahhh the good life

• The smell of your neighbor's cigarette or pipe or (gag) cigar
  • The extra $200 or more it costs per person
  • The sunlight waking me at 6 in the morning
  • The wind blowing my drink back into my face and the food off the table
  • The look on my wife's face when she walks out of the bathroom naked and there is a window washer looking directly at her

Oh, wait, these are the reasons I DON'T book a balcony.

. . . The look on my wife's face when she walks out of the bathroom naked and there is a window washer looking directly at her . . .

Isn't that the "priceless" punchline for a Mastercard commercial?

We normally try to book 2 or 3 cabins in a row and then have the partitions open between them -- it makes it easier to scoot between cabins in pj's etc when kids are traveling.

Enjoy people watching from balcony (especially at ports)

:confused:

If you are people watching from your balcony while you are not in port, that's called "passenger overboard" and should be reported to the crew immediately. See what great tips you get here?:D:D

• The smell of your neighbor's cigarette or pipe or (gag) cigar
  • The extra $200 or more it costs per person
  • The sunlight waking me at 6 in the morning
  • The wind blowing my drink back into my face and the food off the table
  • The look on my wife's face when she walks out of the bathroom naked and there is a window washer looking directly at her

Oh, wait, these are the reasons I DON'T book a balcony.

you forgot the very entertaining conversations you will hear at 6am as your surrounding neighbors shout at each other with your balcony in the middle, saying something like "isn`t this so relaxing"

My DW and I have completed 2 cruised both with balconies, we were fast learners. It is the breakfast and hot tea in the morning, it is the sitting on it on your own while the world goes by, it is sitting on your own reading a book. It is the lying on your bed while the door is open and feeling the breeze flow into your cabin (warning don't try and open the 'front' door while the balcony door is open, you get blown over!

We love them and would struggle with out it.

you forgot the very entertaining conversations you will hear at 6am as your surrounding neighbors shout at each other with your balcony in the middle, saying something like "isn`t this so relaxing"

Yep. And I also forgot the thrill of going out in my underwear (on sea days of course) only to realize that the lido deck has a perfect view of my balcony. True story.

I read threads with people stating they don't spend the extra for a balcony because they aren't in their cabin enough. Of course you don't spend much time in your cabin, I wanted to get the heck out of those inside and ocean view cabins as well. It just wasn't anywhere near as pleasant as a balcony cabin.

Value has different meanings to everyone. The value of the enjoyment of a balcony is well worth the extra spent for us. We spend a lot of time out there, with the exception of when there is a smoker around, then we just go inide or somewhere else onboard for a while. But there is nothing like having the ocean right out your door and be able to see it, hear it, smell it in your own little private place.

We do have a cruise booked this next December in an inside due to cost and I don't know how we will be able to stand the confinement. At least it's only a 4 night cruise, if it were 7 nights or longer, I'd not go unless we could book a balcony.

Yep. And I also forgot the thrill of going out in my underwear (on sea days of course) only to realize that the lido deck has a perfect view of my balcony. True story.

I know what you mean. Some ships have staggered balconies which makes me now not only look at a deck plan, but a picture of the side of the ship, before choosing a balcony cabin.

So... my husband and I are cruising for our second time next week. For our first cruise, we had an ocean view stateroom. This time, we will have a balcony! I know there are so many out there that love having a balcony! I thought it'd be fun to hear from everyone their favorite reasons to have a balcony. Come on... help me get excited! :D

:):):) The reason I prefer a balcony cabin is you can watch the sunrise and the sunset. You also do not have to dress up just sit in your nightclothes or robe and have a coffee and watch the world go by.

Having a balcony is like having an extended room

A room that serves to add function, like clothes dryer, a theater room where the screen is as big as the scenery. A comfortable lounge room where you don't get your shin hit by those pesky midget stool that likes to call itself a coffee table.

The benefits of the Balcony Club

The privelege of circulating sea air for your room day and night

And of course, these . . .

IMG_8238.jpg?t=1267766925

IMG_8139.jpg?t=1267766892

What everyone else said--especially about the chair hogs (wait, does DH count?:confused:).

Also, I'm severely claustrophobic (so much so that we save up to go in GS's--width of the room as well as access to an opening). I'd probably have to be knocked out with Valium to be in a room without a balcony and, silly me, I think that might take some of the enjoyment out of my cruise!;)

We had our first balcony way back in 1998 on the Carnival Destiny. We have always had a balcony since. There is NOTHING like having your own balcony, your own little slice of the sea. (The balcony club ain't bad either.) Hope the wife does not see this one......

-----------------------

Why? Isn't she a member? :D:D

hey jimnbigd, its nice to play devil's advocate once in a while, isn't it?

Yep. Actually, I just think people should know the cons as well as the pros.

One more point: I don't book a balcony when I cruise in January because generally it is too chilly, especially at night or the morning. But I have booked balconies when we cruise in warmer months, especially in May when we cruise for our wedding anniversary. I'd love to book a suite sometime, especially one of those 2 or 3 bedroom suites with a large balcony and private hot tub. I can dream, can't I? Sigh. :)

We love....... Morning Coffee, Sightseeing as we come into / out of ports, reading, afternoon snack, sunning, relaxing, pre-dinner drinks & after-dinner drinks, Sunrises and sunsets.......on our balcony!

We too are ones that desire a blacony every time we cruise, not saying that if budget doesn't allow we would not cruise in another type ..... It just a desire of our now!

Archived