Recommendations for Alaskan Cruise

Scotchick

Which cruise line did you use for Alaskan cruise and how was it???? Thinking of going in September - is it warm up there at this time.

i feel Sept is too late.. cold and rain.. even the locals say earlier. it is cheaper but i prefer July due to my bday.

Cruise lines- first cruise I would suggest princess and it goes both to Glacier bay and Hubert Glacier. but their time in Juneau is shorter than Celebrity or other cruise lines.

They all go to the same ports so you need to look at the hours in each port. .for that matter going N on Celebrity you are at Hubert the crack of down- that is why I am going S so i can enjoy it in the afternoon.

what out for 100 people telling you 100 ideas.. All are right for that person.

We went to Alaska in Sept. 2 yrs ago and it was beautiful. We had one day of rain in Sitka but other than that it was good. We saw more wildlife, especially whales in Sept. than on our previous trip in June. I wore a light wt. polar fleese zip up and it was perfect. Also all the shops were trying to sell their stuff discounted before the end of the season if you like shopping. I recommend Sept. but we are going in May this year because of a deal we got. You will love Alaska whenever you go! We always cruise with Holland America because they have smaller ships and can get closer to the glaciers, not so far to walk to get everywhere, and I am too old to climb a rock wall. I recommend HAL because they take such good care of me!

Been twice RT from Vancouver on HAL Ryndam, both times were amazing. Sept was rainy but still fun but May was much nicer. I really like HAL and am looking at a May Alaska and Sept Med cruise both with HAL.

Been twice RT from Vancouver on HAL Ryndam, both times were amazing. Sept was rainy but still fun but May was much nicer. I really like HAL and am looking at a May Alaska and Sept Med cruise both with HAL.

Glad to hear May was nice. What about the wildlife...did you see many whales? We have been in June and Sept.

We've gone to Alaska on HAL and Princess. We enjoyed both cruise lines. When we go again we will chose by date and itenerary making sure Glacier Bay is included. We liked the natualist on the Princess cruises better than HAL. HAL, however, has the wonderful wrap-around promenade deck. We have not been to Alaska in September so I don't know about the weather. When traveling in Alaska during the cruise season, just dress in layers and you'll be fine. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Weather is basically a crapshoot whether you go to Alaska in May, September or any other month of the season. You need to be prepared to encounter cool, cold, warm, or hot weather and it may rain during your entire trip, only a day or two, or not at all. Dress in layers, bring some water resistant clothing and expect to encounter a variety of weather conditions during your trip. Hours of daylight will be considerably shorter in September than in May. If averages have any meaning at all compare rainfall and temperature averages to assess your chances, but most people who have experience in Alaska seem to feel that your chance of encountering bad weather is greatest in September. Obviously there are no guarantees and some will tell you of the absolutely perfect weather that they experienced on their trip to Alaska in that month. (People will also tell you that when they have visited Florida in past Januarys, weather has been warm and sunny with the temperatures in the eighties, but that information didn't help anyone who was there this past winter:rolleyes:)

Prices will be cheaper in May and September both because of the chance that weather won't be optimal and because some shops and excursions may not yet be operational in early May or may have closed up operations sometime after Labor Day.

I've cruised Princess in Alaska twice.

2003 it was Late August/Early September

2006 it was in July

2010 will be in July again (due to my cabinmate works in the school system and can't go at the end of August like I would prefer)

The highest Temp was 60 and that was in Fairbanks & Skagway on the 2003 cruise.

We went at the end of September (one of the last ships in port) and had rain most of the time. We did see a lot of whales and it didn't dampen our spirits, but I would personally avoid the end of September if going again.

We love Alaska and anytime is great! Have been on HAL and Princess and liked both. Would choose by itinerary/cost between these two if we were to go again. You can't really go wrong! It's wonderful!

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I think I have more or less talked myself out of this cruise to Alaska at this time of year. My sister can only travel here from Scotland at this time of year due to work constraints.

Thanks anyway,

May

i feel Sept is too late.. cold and rain.. even the locals say earlier. it is cheaper but i prefer July due to my bday.

Cruise lines- first cruise I would suggest princess and it goes both to Glacier bay and Hubert Glacier. but their time in Juneau is shorter than Celebrity or other cruise lines.

They all go to the same ports so you need to look at the hours in each port. .for that matter going N on Celebrity you are at Hubert the crack of down- that is why I am going S so i can enjoy it in the afternoon.

what out for 100 people telling you 100 ideas.. All are right for that person.

Actually only the one way SB Princess cruises go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier. The NB cruises go to Glacier Bay and College fjords (also very nice).

I have sailed Alaska over 20 times on 5 different cruiselines.

There is some misinformation above. Humpbacks are "peak', most of the cruise season, there was only "less" noted in the above reference, because they missed them. June and Sept have the SAME number, of humpbacks.

Humpbacks are fully migrated from about the third week of May. Round trip Seattle sailings, have the bonus of catching some of the late migration going early to mid May.

Wildlife on the Inside passage, generally requires tours, for significant sightings, anything else is pure chance. IF you want bears, then look at into July and later, IF not doing any interior Alaska.

"Sept" isn't specific enough, for weather considerations. After the first week, Inside Passage weather can drop off significantly. Overall, it is the worse potental for the season.

The key word being "potential". There are good reports out there, just not as many as earlier in the season. A fixed point is the daylight issue, by mid Sept, it is dark by 7pm, so can have less touring options, and less scenic sailing.

I took a cruisetour with Princess last Sept 5-20. Inland the colors were the most beautiful I've seen, an abundance of wildlife, & cool, clear weather. Cruising we had a few days of light rain, but nothing to stop excursions, went on 2 in each port. So don't discount Sept, just go prepared with a 3 in 1 jacket & waterproof shoes. The beauty is not to be missed.

Archived