For those that have left the formals at home...

kymbakitty

Did we miss dressing up and doing the formal nights? Absolutely not! In fact, in the past 4 or 5 cruises, we haven't done the formal nights at all.

At first, we were unsure of how we'd like it. Then, we realized we totally and completely loved it!!! We were so relaxed! There was no rush to get ready on the formal nights, the ship becomes practically empty out on the decks after about 4pm, the food in the buffet is terrific, and we just relaxed the whole formal night - we never, ever felt any pressure to get anywhere or do anything. It was pure heaven!

In fact, one of our favorite memories was during a formal night. We relaxed out on deck one warm evening and quietly watched the sun set. Then had a delicious, intimate dinner for two afterwards in a quiet corner of the HC.

Thank you all for such great posts. We don't want to try and go to formal nights in anything less than formal-wear....so that is not the issue. If we decide to dress formal, whether he brings a suit or tux is not the issue. The issue at hand is do we even want to bother with playing dress up, period. (IMHO, a tux doesn't take any more room than a suit!)

Anyway, this post hit home the most...thank you. This is kind of were we are...this will be our 10th cruise and we've thoroughly enjoyed playing dress up...hubby used to like it every bit as much as I did...but we are just looking at the possibility of going on a cruise (14 nights) without bringing formal wear. The feedback received was most helpful.

On our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and even 9th cruise, we wouldn't have even considered leaving the tux/gowns at home--but then again, there were not the options for dining that there are today. Our last cruise was on the Dawn Princess, 2004, for a 15 day Panama Canal...and we thoroughly enjoyed dressing up (trust me, I have a huge photo album for each and every one of our cruises/vacations). But that was 6 years ago and we are considering what others have described as "freeing." I love the responses where folks state they'd never go back!

We are still undecided....but I thank you all for the time you took to reply.

Dawn

I'm planning to suit up but no tie (hate the restricition on my neck) hope I dont ruin anybodies night over that lol.

I'm generally not a fan of the formal nights but my wife will enjoy it so what can you do. I just wish they'd go a bit more laid back and make it the rule instead of allowing so much (leeway.)

I find it much to wierd to spend the entire day in port then have to run back and change for a "formal" night. Much less the expense of bringing the items with todays lovely baggage fees.

We don't miss them one bit. Its much nicer now actually, while everyone is in their rooms getting all gussied up, we have almost the whole ship to ourselves, including while they are at dinner, many are at a show, and then when they go to dinner, the previous diners go to the show, so we enjoy having those few hours to roam the ship alone or go get a seat early for the show etc. We have never felt out of place. During 2 of the formal nights on our last cruise we went to the specialty restaraunts and had a great time, neither was very busy which allowed for great service and being able to chat with our waiters which was fun. We women wore slacks and the men wore beige cargo pants. We took some nice pictures together. We love no longer rolling with the punches of formal nights, we never really wanted to do it in the first place but seemed to feel guilty if we didn't, now, as a previous poster mentioned, we've made it our vacation, and are much more relaxed doing so.

I love being able to wear my tux once in a while, but dress up by my own choice. I never mind if tablemates choose to wear a business suit, jacket and tie or even an open-necked (nice) shirt.... as long as they make some effort and don't mind me wanting to look like 007.:cool:

I would like a few opinions/experience from those that have cruised before with the tuxes and gowns, but have also left home without a single tux/suit/dress!

We are still undecided about dragging along the tuxes/gowns. Yes, we have them--no renting necessary. But we are considering taking only nice slacks (dockers/skirt), mostly resort/smart casual clothes.

Please don't tell me how much we'll miss out--we've cruised 9 times before, mostly 14-17 day cruises....we've dragged along the tuxes on 2 panama canal cruises and 2 transatlantic cruises (i.e., MANY formal nights)...we are simply conteplating going a bit more casual.

We don't plan on ruining anyone's vacation by sitting next to anyone on formal night--we rarely go to those shows/venues anyway.

But given that there are so many choices now (i.e., speciality dining on formal nights, not to mention, buffet/room service/pizza), we would love some feedback on other cruisers that have tried this option after going the tux/gown route many times and what their thoughts are about doing this.

Did you miss not bringing your formal wear? Did you ever feel out of place (even though you did not go where everyone was sitting)? Would you do it again?

Thanks all!!!!

Dawn

We did the dining room every night on our first cruise because we were going with my parents who enjoy that. On the next one, we ate in the DR about 6 of 10 nights. By the 3rd one, I think we ate in the DR once. It's sooo much easier not having to pack the formals. I just wear nice black slacks with a sparkly top and some bling if we go to the DR. I did not feel one bit out of place. I'm at the point in my life where I just feel like if I'm doing what I believe is respectful to others, then it's fine. If someone doesn't like it, too bad. I'll never see you after the cruise is over. Know what I mean? Life's too short. Now I'm not saying I'd go into that DR looking a mess, I just don't wear a cocktail dress or gown. Hubby also wears nice black slacks and a long-sleeved shirt & tie. We saw people more dressed up, but we also saw lots of people less dressed up. Do what you want to.

I always wear a dress shirt, khaki pants, blazer and no tie. For footwear in the Caribbean I wear nice sandals. On the Alaska cruise I wore my hiking boots since I later spent two weeks in Alaska hiking and camping. I substituted a cotton crew neck sweater for the blazer. I have never worn a tux nor do I intend to wear one. I always go to formal night in the MDR traditional dining. I have never had a problem with the staff or fellow pax. Most pax take their formal wear off after dinner but some do not. You will see everything after dinner on the ship including shorts, tevas and tshirts.

Formal wear is on the decline because of the times and new airport regulations. Carnival removed them a couple of years ago. You can still wear formal but it is not required. A minimum for men seems to be dress shirt and nice pants on men. To the prior poster, yes, short sleeved dress shirts are the norm here in the southwest where temperatures in the summer can reach and exceed 100F.

Well it seems you get as many different answers as there are people on the board. Thats the nice thing about cruising, so many choices.

We have enjoyed getting dressed up for the formal nights. I bring my Tux because it is the only time I get to wear it outside of attending weddings or the occasional formal dinners at home. We also love getting the formal portraits taken.

I live in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops most of the time anyways, so its nice for a change to dress up. If you don't want to - fine with me. Besides my wife thinks all men look so handsome in their tuxedo's, and a happy wife is a happy life...

I would like a few opinions/experience from those that have cruised before with the tuxes and gowns, but have also left home without a single tux/suit/dress!

We are still undecided about dragging along the tuxes/gowns. Yes, we have them--no renting necessary. But we are considering taking only nice slacks (dockers/skirt), mostly resort/smart casual clothes.

Please don't tell me how much we'll miss out--we've cruised 9 times before, mostly 14-17 day cruises....we've dragged along the tuxes on 2 panama canal cruises and 2 transatlantic cruises (i.e., MANY formal nights)...we are simply conteplating going a bit more casual.

We don't plan on ruining anyone's vacation by sitting next to anyone on formal night--we rarely go to those shows/venues anyway.

But given that there are so many choices now (i.e., speciality dining on formal nights, not to mention, buffet/room service/pizza), we would love some feedback on other cruisers that have tried this option after going the tux/gown route many times and what their thoughts are about doing this.

Did you miss not bringing your formal wear? Did you ever feel out of place (even though you did not go where everyone was sitting)? Would you do it again?

Thanks all!!!!

Dawn

LEAVE THE FORMAL WEAR AT HOME!!! and enjoy your cruise.

We always opt for Anytime Dining (Love It) and on several formal nights, we have worn our smart casual to the MDR and requested a table for 2 without any problems or comments.

Be comfortable and enjoy your cruise:D:D

My wife and I haven't packed formal wear for a cruise in probably about ten years now. We did it for the first half-dozen or so and then decided it wasn't worth the hassle when neither of us have an interest in playing dress-up. We still go to the formal night dining, I wear dress slacks and a long-sleeved dress shirt and she wears slacks with a variety of tops. We've never been turned away, never had anyone make a comment, and really don't worry what others may be thinking (though we do always try to get a table for two whether in MDR or anytime).

Not since our first cruise have we done the formal night. In fact, our last 2 cruises, we even skipped the dining room and ate in our comfortable shorts and t-shirts in the buffet or in our room. We packed everything we needed for our 7 and 10 day cruises in a single suitcase, and didn't need to do any laundry. I have to say this was extremely relaxing. Part of me was concerned we'd miss the dining room experience, but having the ultimate flexibilty and being in comfort was an absolute dream.

Typically on the actual formal night, we don't venture into the show venues (not a big draw for us anyway), maybe MUTS or just enjoying our balcony.

In the tropics it is especially nice to be able to skip long pants and dress shoes (esp for my DH!).

Not since our first cruise have we done the formal night. In fact, our last 2 cruises, we even skipped the dining room and ate in our comfortable shorts and t-shirts in the buffet or in our room. We packed everything we needed for our 7 and 10 day cruises in a single suitcase, and didn't need to do any laundry. I have to say this was extremely relaxing. Part of me was concerned we'd miss the dining room experience, but having the ultimate flexibilty and being in comfort was an absolute dream.

Typically on the actual formal night, we don't venture into the show venues (not a big draw for us anyway), maybe MUTS or just enjoying our balcony.

In the tropics it is especially nice to be able to skip long pants and dress shoes (esp for my DH!).

That is the perfect solution for well mannered people who don't care to dress on formal nights.

We've skipped the formal attire on our last two cruises and ate in the buffet on formal nights. We decided that we will most likely not do formal again.

On our last trip (Crown-Eastern Caribbean) we were surprised to see several people in the buffet on formal night wearing formal attire. I could see dropping in for a late night snack/dessert but this was about 7:00. But as long as they were doing what they wanted, they should feel free to come formally attired to the buffet if they want to. I sure was curious about why they did it though. Have any of you done that before?

We've skipped the formal attire on our last two cruises and ate in the buffet on formal nights. We decided that we will most likely not do formal again.

On our last trip (Crown-Eastern Caribbean) we were surprised to see several people in the buffet on formal night wearing formal attire. I could see dropping in for a late night snack/dessert but this was about 7:00. But as long as they were doing what they wanted, they should feel free to come formally attired to the buffet if they want to. I sure was curious about why they did it though. Have any of you done that before?

We've done just that but weren't formally dressed to begin with. The menu in the DR wasn't at all appetizing.

Thanks all!!!!

Dawn

Back from Celebrity Solstice Med in June. We did only carry-on (21"). DH & DF DH were perfectly dressed in blue blazers and dark slacks. I wore Black silk crepe pant with different tops, friend was dressed in similar attire.We never felt out of place. The airline weight/checked bag fees and shleep factor are just too much . Leave the tux & gowns at home-unless its round trip your homeport.

Carole

We haven't done formal night in years. We don't really feel we are missing out on anything. We usually go to Horizon Court and find that to be just fine. I noticed on the last cruise to Canada/New England that Horizon Court put lobsters out at about 8:00 PM on formal night.

I have noticed that people aren't getting as dressed up as they did in years past. It's just a personal choice I guess.

On our last cruise on the Emerald and CB we chose to eat at the buffet during formal night, and yes on both cruises I did see people dressed formal at the buffet! Perhaps they had anytime dining and there was a long wait to opted to go to the buffet...just guessing:)

I think formal nights within a few years will be a thing of the past. Lines like Oceania (top 5 cruise lines in the world) are always smart casual, no formal nights what so ever. Personally I feel it should be smart casual/casual any night and if you want to get dressed up then do it. Lets not forget any cruise line makes a suggested dress for the evening. Save the beach attire for the pool but a nice pair of pants and shirt for the men should be fine. This is a holiday everyone should be relaxed and comfy and if wearing a suit or not makes you feel good then so be it, dont let people dictate what to wear we are adults. If someone sits at your table and they arent dressed to your standards then maybe you should move. I say its not whats on the outside that counts its whats inside. Dont judge people by what they are wearing, relax and give them a chance. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks all!!!!

Dawn

Fine with me have a great cruise!!

On all of our past cruises except the Jewel (suit & cocktail dress), DW and I have gone the formal route. Its really the only occasion I get to wear a tux and since I don't own one, I rent it throught the cuise line so I have no suit to lug around. We don't frown down on those to choose not to dress up; we just do our own thing and enjoy the cruise.

On our last cruise on the Emerald and CB we chose to eat at the buffet during formal night, and yes on both cruises I did see people dressed formal at the buffet! Perhaps they had anytime dining and there was a long wait to opted to go to the buffet...just guessing:)

This would have been us on the Ruby and the Crown. For us, the motivation was simply not wanting to sit through a long dinner, as there were two entertainment options we wanted to enjoy those evenings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Susan,

Off-topic sorry folks - How was your Stay at Hotel Page Germano in Rome? I am thinking of booking it.

Thanks and you can email me directly if you want snowwmax@yahoo.com

-Steve

Could be due to wanting to take photos (their own or from the ship), attending one of the repeater's cocktail parties, just like to get dressed up or bite my tongue...didn't get enough to eat at early dinner!

MARAPRINCE

Archived