For those that have left the formals at home...

kymbakitty

Have we not beaten this topic to death? :rolleyes: The poor dead horse is in tatters! :eek: It is clear from the OPs post that they know darn well that this has been discussed to death! :mad:

Please join me for a solemn memorial service for formal night threads. :D

Have we not beaten this topic to death? :rolleyes: The poor dead horse is in tatters! :eek: It is clear from the OPs post that they know darn well that this has been discussed to death!

Please join me for a solemn memorial service for formal night threads. :D

Doug I will join ya! :D Since I hi-jacked :p it in attempt to get ahold of "Tennisobo" to hear their opinion on a hotel in Rome ;)

Just got back from a Crown Princess Caribbean cruise. We did any time dining. I was surprised to see that the only tables that were all occupied where the table for 2. The tables for 6 or more were invariably vacant through out the dining area. We used to dine in the Anytime dining and then go up to the buffet area for desert. Invariably the buffet used to be full of people. On formal nights, I was dressed in a tie and had a blazer on. I was thinking I might be out of place without a suit on. I was surprised that full sleeves shirt and full pants with boots or dress shoes were very common on formal nights. Like all Cruise lines, Princess also short changes those in the buffet on formal nights. We got lobster tail in the main course in the DR, but I noticed there were only lobster claws in the buffet area. Should the cruise lines offer the same food in the buffet the formal nights will die out rapidly. But cruise lines make money from the sale of photo sessions and will try to hang on to the formal nights until any one cruise line does away first. That said after lugging an extra bag for shoes and formal clothes, we have decided we are DONE with formal clothes, but will go in like others in smart office dress (full sleeves shirt and full pants and maybe a tie but nothing more than that). It is our vacation after all. If any cruise line has an issue I will be happy to move to the buffet if asked. But having seen that no one was turned away, I can see where this is headed.

Just got back from a Crown Princess Caribbean cruise. We did any time dining. I was surprised to see that the only tables that were all occupied where the table for 2. The tables for 6 or more were invariably vacant through out the dining area. We used to dine in the Anytime dining and then go up to the buffet area for desert. Invariably the buffet used to be full of people. On formal nights, I was dressed in a tie and had a blazer on. I was thinking I might be out of place without a suit on. I was surprised that full sleeves shirt and full pants with boots or dress shoes were very common on formal nights. Like all Cruise lines, Princess also short changes those in the buffet on formal nights. We got lobster tail in the main course in the DR, but I noticed there were only lobster claws in the buffet area. Should the cruise lines offer the same food in the buffet the formal nights will die out rapidly. But cruise lines make money from the sale of photo sessions and will try to hang on to the formal nights until any one cruise line does away first. That said after lugging an extra bag for shoes and formal clothes, we have decided we are DONE with formal clothes, but will go in like others in smart office dress (full sleeves shirt and full pants and maybe a tie but nothing more than that). It is our vacation after all. If any cruise line has an issue I will be happy to move to the buffet if asked. But having seen that no one was turned away, I can see where this is headed.

I would agree with that... When I was on the Celebrity Infinity last May, people showed up in Dress shirts / Ties with no Blazer or Suit jacket to the formal dinners.

Even during the regular dinners in which smart casual is supposed to be the standard, guests were showing up in Jeans but at least had a collared shirt.

I don't miss formal nights at all. I usually don't bring any dressy clothes and I'm fine with dining in the buffet. I don't go to shows anyway. On my last cruise, I went with people who wanted to go for lobster, so I took nice slacks and a fancy top that was easy and lightweight to pack. No, it's technically not formal wear, but the huge majority of people aren't dressed formally anymore. If they were, I'd skip it completely and I'd be fine.

I would like a few opinions/experience from those that have cruised before with the tuxes and gowns, but have also left home without a single tux/suit/dress!

I'm not a formal night aficionado, I prefer to be comfortable because after dinner, I don't hang around :)

On longer cruises (a month) I solved the problem with a little straight "black dress", two o three different shawls and some costume jewellery. Hubbie has his blue blazer and matching tie. We bring them along in case there is a particular gala night we would like to attend.

I prefer to drag home souvenirs than gala gowns :)

We decided to do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on our first formal night on our last cruise. It was fantastic! On the second night we went with the buffet and were perfectly happy with that.

I would recommend participating in formal nights if you never have in the past because they are special. But if you've done it before and luggage space is an issue that give the UBD or buffet a try.

Carnival did away with formal night awhile back and now have elegant night. Pax can still wear as formal an attire as they wish however. With the ever decreasing mode of dress, formal nights are an endangered species. I still wear my blazer sans tie. I live in the southwest where jeans are accepted most of the time so I wear jeans on non-formal nights.

We love formal nights!

However, a couple years ago on the CB we were staying on in Puerto Rico for a few days after the end of the cruise and we were trying to travel as light as possible since we'd be traveling in a little tiny plane for parts of this trip.

This meant leaving the formal wear at home.

It was sad, but we had a good time anyway. I know one night we ate in the buffet and I can't remember what we did (room service, maybe?) for the other. It was kind of the cruise equivalent of staying in on Saturday night in your jammies to watch a movie- a little twinge of guilt at missing the action but also some fun and novelty in sitting at home in comfort being "lazy".

We've skipped the formal attire on our last two cruises and ate in the buffet on formal nights. We decided that we will most likely not do formal again.

On our last trip (Crown-Eastern Caribbean) we were surprised to see several people in the buffet on formal night wearing formal attire. I could see dropping in for a late night snack/dessert but this was about 7:00. But as long as they were doing what they wanted, they should feel free to come formally attired to the buffet if they want to. I sure was curious about why they did it though. Have any of you done that before?

Yes, every cruise, we dress formal every nite because that is what we enjoy and we also enjoy the buffet instead of the dining room......less time eating, more time for dancing and the kids working the buffet also enjoy seeing people dressed in the buffet as most of the time they don't get the chance.

On my last 2 cruises, (7 day) I packed with only a carryon. I had 2 formals with shoes to match and everything else I needed for the week. We did check the bag with snorkel equipment. It took quite a bit of planning and taking gowns that could be rolled up and tiny strappy sandals but it was a relief to know I would not worry about the airlines losing my bags.

If you are doing a Caribbean cruise, many times there are island fashions that you can purchase that are easily passable and packable for formal nights or the usual fallback -- white slacks with a halter top and a dressy shawl/scarf or a long dress you would wear back home at a summer barbeque that packs and travels well.

MARAPRINCE

While we wore formal attire for three of the four formal evening on our recent cruise, we decided that not doing so for the final call brought more comfort to those at our table than had we dressed. It's a shame really but we formal diehards are obviously going to have to let go. We wish there was a means where those who enjoy wearing formal attire could congregate for some social time together for doing so ties us to a tradition that adds to joy of a cruise. But obviously that can no longer be the dinning room.

In the last 27 years of cruising, things have changed. Back then, we took our children with us also. There were not as many children then nor was there as much geared to them, but we always had a great time. And yes, I still do enjoy the formal style of the 1980's. It can be found on some cruise lines, but not really the mainline mass market ones anymore. Lifestyles change and people move on....new things come into play.

We have done the "carry on" type of packing for five or six of our last cruises, mostly with Princess. We are usually gone for 4 to 5 weeks with some pre and/or post independent cruise travel time. The cruises have been either in Asia, SA or Europe and have been 16-21 days.

It does take some thought, but it is so much easier for us 60+ to handle one small bag apiece when traveling. Since the "carry on" weight is generous leaving or flying into the US, having several types of clothing was not a problem. Actually, now I check one carry on going so we can get past the liquid size problem on the planes, but coming home we usually carry both on since new purchases now replace the used up stuff.

We stopped taking the tux/formal back then to have room for the clothes we would wear daily. Now DH carries a navy blazer on the plane (it is stored in the coat closet) and I carry a nice black silk skirt and silk top with some fancy accessories in the carry on. We do not like to eat in the buffet period...we like to be seated and served at all our meals. We did this even with our children. That is one of our favorite things about cruising.

Neither do us worry about wearing the same thing twice or three times to dinner, so we wear the "formal wear" for the usually three/four nights that are formal and rotate between our nicer couple of outfits the other nights. Neither of us has felt uncomfortable in this attire in the MDR of any ship as there are always others in the same style dress.

This last year, we were gone for 5 months on a RTW trip that included a month long segment on the a Seabourn Spirit Grand Odyssey, Dubia to Istanbul and the Ocean (Tahitian) Princess 2009 around the world trip, Sydney to Hong Kong. On this trip, we were limited to 14 pound carry ons since we would be doing 22 different flights on various carriers in 14 different countries. One plane was very small and we were limited to a bag apiece sooo...We did use Seabourn and Princess’s expensive luggage service to get a bag (30 pounds for both of us) with some cruise cloths to each ship.

Again, I packed our now standard for formal wear. Yes, there were some really dressed up people on formal night especially on Seabourn, but there were many others who were dressed as we were and even less so on Princess. Being small to very small ships and longer cruises, everyone knew almost everyone else. Dress was not a concern... the goal was to have a wonderful time on a great cruise with interesting, fun cruise mates on what for some people if not most was a once in a life time experience!

If you like to wear a tux/evening gown on formal night do so....If you would rather wear slacks and a jacket/nice pants or skirt with a fancy top or something in between, do so. We will be there having a good time right along with everyone else.

If you want a cruise with fewer children, travel during the school/non-vacation time, on cruises longer than 2 weeks and on smaller ships. Picking cruises leaving and returning to a non US ports helps also.

Happy Cruising!

In the last 27 years of cruising, things have changed. Back then, we took our children with us also. There were not as many children then nor was there as much geared to them, but we always had a great time. And yes, I still do enjoy the formal style of the 1980's. It can be found on some cruise lines, but not really the mainline mass market ones anymore. Lifestyles change and people move on....new things come into play.

We have done the "carry on" type of packing for five or six of our last cruises, mostly with Princess. We are usually gone for 4 to 5 weeks with some pre and/or post independent cruise travel time. The cruises have been either in Asia, SA or Europe and have been 16-21 days.

It does take some thought, but it is so much easier for us 60+ to handle one small bag apiece when traveling. Since the "carry on" weight is generous leaving or flying into the US, having several types of clothing was not a problem. Actually, now I check one carry on going so we can get past the liquid size problem on the planes, but coming home we usually carry both on since new purchases now replace the used up stuff.

We stopped taking the tux/formal back then to have room for the clothes we would wear daily. Now DH carries a navy blazer on the plane (it is stored in the coat closet) and I carry a nice black silk skirt and silk top with some fancy accessories in the carry on. We do not like to eat in the buffet period...we like to be seated and served at all our meals. We did this even with our children. That is one of our favorite things about cruising.

Neither do us worry about wearing the same thing twice or three times to dinner, so we wear the "formal wear" for the usually three/four nights that are formal and rotate between our nicer couple of outfits the other nights. Neither of us has felt uncomfortable in this attire in the MDR of any ship as there are always others in the same style dress.

This last year, we were gone for 5 months on a RTW trip that included a month long segment on the a Seabourn Spirit Grand Odyssey, Dubia to Istanbul and the Ocean (Tahitian) Princess 2009 around the world trip, Sydney to Hong Kong. On this trip, we were limited to 14 pound carry ons since we would be doing 22 different flights on various carriers in 14 different countries. One plane was very small and we were limited to a bag apiece sooo...We did use Seabourn and Princess’s expensive luggage service to get a bag (30 pounds for both of us) with some cruise cloths to each ship.

Again, I packed our now standard for formal wear. Yes, there were some really dressed up people on formal night especially on Seabourn, but there were many others who were dressed as we were and even less so on Princess. Being small to very small ships and longer cruises, everyone knew almost everyone else. Dress was not a concern... the goal was to have a wonderful time on a great cruise with interesting, fun cruise mates on what for some people if not most was a once in a life time experience!

If you like to wear a tux/evening gown on formal night do so....If you would rather wear slacks and a jacket/nice pants or skirt with a fancy top or something in between, do so. We will be there having a good time right along with everyone else.

If you want a cruise with fewer children, travel during the school/non-vacation time, on cruises longer than 2 weeks and on smaller ships. Picking cruises leaving and returning to a non US ports helps also.

Happy Cruising!

As your post proves, there is a way to do formal and not add to your overall luggage weight. I guess it all comes down to if you want to do formal, you will find a way to do it effortlessly. Glad to see you were able to do all that traveling and still not have to deal with paying extra to bring what you wanted with you as well.

MARAPRINCE

Archived