a day in Civitavecchia

caber

I have asked this question on the Europe board but had no replies.

Has anyone stayed in or around Civitavecchia instead of going to Rome for the day?

I have been to Rome a few times and am looking for a beach or nice village within a taxi ride to visit.

I have read there is a beach in Civitavecchia. Has anyone tried it?

Is the town a nice place to spend the day?

I have read about some ruins nearby. Anyone been?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.:)

Civitivecchia is a very pleasant town. The main plaza, just up from the pier entrance is a pedestrian only walkabout with many small boutique type shops. The walk along the waterfront is also pleasant, with a lovely small church at the border.

One may also take a train south to Anzio, the site of a large WWII amphibious landing. There is a small museum and a beach.

Try it, you'll like it.

We spent the day in Civitivecchia last August instead of going into Rome (same reasons you have).

Had a wonderful day. Walked around then my DH went to the public beach for a swim and some sun.

I enjoyed the Farmer's Market then joined my DH and we strolled around the town and enjoyed a cold drink before heading back to the ship.

There is a section of the main street that has a glass cover over it and you can see down into it to an ancient city with some relics displayed.

We had a lovely, relaxing day.

Photos in the link below.

Kathy:)

Yes, we did a few years back. Checked out their version of an open air market. It was quiet nice. Enjoyed the day.

By contrast, we went into Rome last May, were there on May Day, it was wall to wall people. It was not as much fun.

The worlds best ice cream shop is a little cafe on the main pedestrianised street about 3/4 of the way up on the left, usually has seats outside where all the Italians meet for morning coffee. Go inside they have about 40 choices and can order by the scoop. Absolutely the best ice cream in the world bar none!

One option is to see Civitavecchia in the morning and then if Princess offers it take the Medieval Hills and Olive Oil tour. Here is my review of doing just that. Scroll down to the second post where I start the day in Civitavecchia.

http://tahitianprincessworldcruise2009.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-04-22T13%3A08%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=10&reverse-paginate=true

I really enjoyed the Princess tour so highly recommend it.

On a subsequent cruise I stayed at the agriturismo from the Princess tour. From there I went to Tarquinia. I think if you like history and ruins the Tarquinia Necropolis is worth a stop, as well as the museum in Tarquinia. Here is my review from that area.

http://celebrityequinoxancientempiresandtran.blogspot.com/2009/10/tarquinia-necropolis.html

http://celebrityequinoxancientempiresandtran.blogspot.com/2009/10/tomb-interiors.html

However the tomb are only for those who can go up and down alot of stairs.

If stairs aren't for you I thought the museum was interesting. However their elevator was out when I was there so there are some stairs to get to the upper levels. Just not as many as going in and out of the tombs which are buried.

http://celebrityequinoxancientempiresandtran.blogspot.com/2009/10/tarquinia-museum.html

Unfortunately no pictures were allowed inside the museum.

To get to Tarquinia the easiest way was to take a cab. I had an offer of 120 E that went to 100 E with a little bargaining. The train goes there but it doesn't get you near the sights. The bus apparently does but I was not able to figure out the system and there wasn't any tourist help.

Let me know if there are any questions. I tried to post the right links into the blog but both my blogs were behaving funny today so I hope they work ok.

Cheers!

Michelle

Hi caber,

Have you not done this cruise before.

yours shogun

Hi shogun,

We have done most of the ports but the dates suited us and we wanted a no fly cruise after our last 3 flight epic. :eek: Just want a relaxing cruise.

18th still ok?

Michelle,

Thanks for the information.

ROSEBASKETS,

Sounds good to me.

Archived