Future Cruise Certificate

John&John

I read that the Future Carnival Vacation program [where while cruising you can (available on certain ships) place a $100 deposit per cabin and receive an OBC of up to $200 valid for up to 5 years.] deposit of $100 is fully refundable.

Does anyone know the details of this?

Thanks!

BTW, I know I should have asked......

Yes the cost of the certificates ($100) is fully refundable in not used in 5 years.

The $100 cost of the certificate is applied to the balance due when you book the cruise. The amount of OBC is determined by the length of the cruise and it varies from $50 to $200.

You have to book a cruise first and then send the certificate in via certified mail with the booking number on it. The $100 deduction and OBC will show up on your cruise info within a short time.

We've used two certificates so far and had good luck with them. The certificates are not combinable with military or interline rates. They are combinable with early saver, past guest, senior, resident, etc. rates. You can also use the OBC with the shareholder OBC.

I read that the Future Carnival Vacation program [where while cruising you can (available on certain ships) place a $100 deposit per cabin and receive an OBC of up to $200 valid for up to 5 years.] deposit of $100 is fully refundable.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, the deposit for any cruise is still the same. If you buy a FCC to use at home, you will still put up a full depsoit ... the FCC is then applied to the balance.

The word deposit to me is misleading or incorrect. Its a charge, the FCC costs $100.

Someone said they were surprised when they went to book on a ship they still had to put up a full deposit, they thought the $100 was the deposit on a cruise, it isnt.

Just to clarify, the deposit for any cruise is still the same. If you buy a FCC to use at home, you will still put up a full depsoit ... the FCC is then applied to the balance.

The word deposit to me is misleading or incorrect. Its a charge, the FCC costs $100.

Someone said they were surprised when they went to book on a ship they still had to put up a full deposit, they thought the $100 was the deposit on a cruise, it isnt.

If I book a cruise the $100 already paid will go towards the deposit and we'll still have to pay the balance of the deposit.

If we cancel the cruise (assuming not ES and before final payment) will we be refunded the full deposit (including the $100) or will the refund only be the additional amount deposited at the time of booking?

Thanks!

If I book a cruise the $100 already paid will go towards the deposit and we'll still have to pay the balance of the deposit.

If we cancel the cruise (assuming not ES and before final payment) will we be refunded the full deposit (including the $100) or will the refund only be the additional amount deposited at the time of booking?

Thanks!

Only if you book while you are still on the ship can the FCC be applied to the deposit. If you bring it home, you put up the full deposit, then mail in the certificate to be applied to the balance. i.e. toward the final payment, not toward the deposit.

If you completely cancel, you can cancel the FCC and get a refund. Most are trying to transfer it so they dont lose the OBC. .. you can always get a refund, and get your $100 back and if its not ES, you will also get your full deposit back.

[quote=kicia;23381783]Yes the cost of the certificates ($100) is fully refundable in not used in 5 years.

The $100 cost of the certificate is applied to the balance due when you book the cruise. The amount of OBC is determined by the length of the cruise and it varies from $50 to $200.

You have to book a cruise first and then send the certificate in via certified mail with the booking number on it. The $100 deduction and OBC will show up on your cruise info within a short time.

We've used two certificates so far and had good luck with them. The certificates are not combinable with military or interline rates. They are combinable with early saver, past guest, senior, resident, etc. rates. You can also use the OBC with the shareholder OBC.

I am reading the fine print right now, and I don't see that at all.

15. Certificate expires on the date stated on the face of the certificate.

It says nothing about a refund for not using it. I wouldn't think they would, anyway.

Also,

6. Changes to the reservation my be permitted, subject to availability, other restrictions and any applicable cancellation charges.

7. This certificate is not replaceabl and has no value if lost, stolen, altered, destroyed, expired, photocopied or reproduced in any way.

Well, I guess that answers that.

We had a bit of trouble redeeming ours, but all is now well and we're saving $600.00 on our upcoming cruise with the FunPoints and the FCC. :)

Shay

Only if you book while you are still on the ship can the FCC be applied to the deposit. If you bring it home, you put up the full deposit, then mail in the certificate to be applied to the balance. i.e. toward the final payment, not toward the deposit.

If you completely cancel, you can cancel the FCC and get a refund. Most are trying to transfer it so they dont lose the OBC. .. you can always get a refund, and get your $100 back and if its not ES, you will also get your full deposit back.

It says on the back that "This certificate can be applied as a deposit but does not serve as as a full deposit for all sailings. The recipient is responsible for covering any difference in the full deposit at the time of booking."

I was under the impression that the $100 deposit would go towards the deposit when you book and you mail in the certificate to obtain the OBC.

If this only pertains to booking on board, it is very mis-leading.

So, can you just cancel the FCC without booking and get your $100 back?

It says on the back that "This certificate can be applied as a deposit but does not serve as as a full deposit for all sailings. The recipient is responsible for covering any difference in the full deposit at the time of booking."

I was under the impression that the $100 deposit would go towards the deposit when you book and you mail in the certificate to obtain the OBC.

If this only pertains to booking on board, it is very mis-leading.

So, can you just cancel the FCC without booking and get your $100 back?

Yes, it only applies to booking onboard. Its says it CAN be applied as a deposit .... but doesnt say it always can be.

Yes, you can cancel them any time. I cancelled on on Princess, darn, same terms and got my $100 back. Yes, Carnival says you can get a refund any time on them.

One possible exception and maybe why the wording is the way it is... if you are booking after final payment ... its goes toward the entire price, some PVPs have subtracted out the $100 for the total due when you have to pay in full the day you book and if you send it in immediately ...so then it goes toward whichever part of the payment you want to say it went to, since you are paying in full.

Im sure there is a reason for the legal mumble jumbo. Iv only used two .. and both times I put up a full deposit and then mailed them in and had it applied toward final payment.

Yes, it only applies to booking onboard. Its says it CAN be applied as a deposit .... but doesnt say it always can be.

Yes, you can cancel them any time. I cancelled on on Princess, darn, same terms and got my $100 back. Yes, Carnival says you can get a refund any time on them.

One possible exception and maybe why the wording is the way it is... if you are booking after final payment ... its goes toward the entire price, some PVPs have subtracted out the $100 for the total due when you have to pay in full the day you book and if you send it in immediately ...so then it goes toward whichever part of the payment you want to say it went to, since you are paying in full.

Im sure there is a reason for the legal mumble jumbo. Iv only used two .. and both times I put up a full deposit and then mailed them in and had it applied toward final payment.

OK, I bit the bullet and called the number on the back for additional questions and here is the answer I got.

The $100 can be applied towards the deposit but you have to mail the certificate in immediately using overnight mail. I'm sure that you would have to book through the promotions people to do this as this is not the usual. The additional cost of the overnight mail wouldn't make it worthwhile.

She also said that you pay your full deposit (if booking before final payment) send in the certificate (certified mail) and they will apply the $100 to your outstanding balance.

If at any time you would like your $100 refunded you need to call and they will let you know where to mail the certificate and you will get the refund.

I guess they don't want to emphasize the deposit and refund options.

OK, I bit the bullet and called the number on the back for additional questions and here is the answer I got.

The $100 can be applied towards the deposit but you have to mail the certificate in immediately using overnight mail. I'm sure that you would have to book through the promotions people to do this as this is not the usual. The additional cost of the overnight mail wouldn't make it worthwhile.

She also said that you pay your full deposit (if booking before final payment) send in the certificate (certified mail) and they will apply the $100 to your outstanding balance.

If at any time you would like your $100 refunded you need to call and they will let you know where to mail the certificate and you will get the refund.

Forgot to mention that if you book after final payment you pay $100 less and have to send in the certificate.

I can see this being a problem if you used it to book ES, since the deposit is nonrefundable .. and someone wanting to get a refund on their FCC they used when they cancelled a cruise.

I can see this being a problem if you used it to book ES, since the deposit is nonrefundable .. and someone wanting to get a refund on their FCC they used when they cancelled a cruise.

I agree. Just one more caveat.

I just booked the Liberty for Jan. next year. I gave the TA the FCC and she relayed the info to the CCL person. I paid a $400.00 deposit, when it should be $500.00, remember I paid $400.00. My TA sent my statement via email and it says $500.00 deposit. So you get $100.00 off your deposit/cruise and $100.00 OBC ( for a 7 day cruise). I like that.

Thanks!

Hi there.. When hubby and I got our FCC they told us it can be refunded(ofcourse within the first five years).. I hope that is still the case or maybe the folks we talked to now are wrong??:mad: :eek: Have a good evening.. Lynne :)

We bought 10 of them on the Freedom Nov 2008.

We have used 4 of them. We pay the normal deposit when we book a cruise and then have the $100 applied to reduce the balance.

We were also told that if you end up NOT using them at all, you could return them at any time (within the 5 years) for a full refund.

I have not read the fine print about that, since we plan to use the rest of these by January 2011 (and buy some more on the Liberty later this year).

Do be aware that you can NOT use these if you book the Military discount OR the Interline discount.

We don't book Early Saver....so I have no experience with that.

The program is currently on the following ships:

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Valor

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Conquest

We will launch the program on the following ships as scheduled:

Carnival Dream: 2/06/10

Carnival Spirit: 2/07/10

Carnival Pride: 2/07/10

Carnival Legend: 2/07/10

Carnival Miracle: 2/08/10

Carnival Glory: 2/21/10

Carnival Triumph: 3/01/10

Carnival Ecstasy: 3/06/10

Carnival Elation: 3/06/10

Carnival Fascination: 3/06/10

Carnival Inspiration: 3/08/10

Carnival Destiny: 3/08/10

Carnival Fantasy: 3/08/10

Carnival Victory: tba

Carnival Imagination: tba

Carnival Paradise: tba

Carnival Sensation: tba

We've purchased several of these since the program first started. To the person who asked if they can be applied to a group cruise the answer is yes but you have to send it to your group TA and they have to send it in to Carnival for you. I've done this and had no trouble getting it applied.

As far as overnight mail I have never sent mine in that way. I simply fill out the info on the certificate and make a copy for my records then send it in certified mail. It doesn't cost alot and for the additional $100 OBC on our 7 and 8 day cruises it's well worth it.

Yes, you can use these certificates if you book Early Saver. We've booked 3 ES cruises and have had no problem having the certificates applied. We sail on less than 2 months and the OBC is already showing on our documents. The $100 was also applied in addition to our regular deposit.

We also have shareholders OBC for each cruise and the certificates can be used in combination with those. They can also be used in combination with group OBC and shareholders credit. We sailed last April with $300 in OBC by having group OBC, shareholders OBC, and the future cruise certificate OBC.

As mentioned in a previous post you can't use them for military or interline bookings. Other than those 2 instances you would have no problem using them.

Archived