buying underwater cameras onboard

sandfan28

This being my first cruise one bit of info I read was not to buy disposable underwater cameras if your going to fly due to the x-ray machines affecting the quality of the film. Now my question does Carnival carry a supply of them or can you purchase a reasonably priced underwater digital camera onboard in one of their shops? Sailing on the Legend if someone is familar with that ship.

thanks!

This being my first cruise one bit of info I read was not to buy disposable underwater cameras if your going to fly due to the x-ray machines affecting the quality of the film. Now my question does Carnival carry a supply of them or can you purchase a reasonably priced underwater digital camera onboard in one of their shops? Sailing on the Legend if someone is familar with that ship.

thanks!

I can tell you with certainty that Carnival does carry underwater cameras for purchase. And believe it or not, they are reasonably priced. They will have them in the gift shop and in the gangway as you are getting of the ship in port. I have traveled with cameras (with no problems) and purchased on board. From now on I will be purchasing on board just because they are reasonably priced and because I would rather not take up the space in my suit case. HTH!

I have flown with disposable cameras before and haven't had it affect the film. Pack it in your checked baggage if you are concerned

Never EVER pack film in your checked baggage...The xray that scans checked baggage is much stronger than the scanner your hand baggage goes through.

go to Wal mart and buy an underwater digital camera and save the 10 bucks for the cameras and 10 more to develop and only have 20 pictures or so.

An 'underwater digital' camera by definition does not have any film to develop. EM

They're cheaper at home. And always put them in your carry on bag. Here's a tip for where ever you buy them. Check out the case before you go on your excursion, to make sure it's not cracked. I had one that was cracked and only got one pic.

Also make sure the gaskets around the various doors on the camera are not nicked or pinched to prevent water from entering the camera.

Bought a new underwater camera specifically for the Great Barrier Reef and the gasket to the battery compartment was nicked, never got a shot :mad:

When you reach your destination, ask at your hotel desk if there is Wal-mart, Walgreen' etc. where you cand buy some. If not, ask your taxi driver to stop on your way to port. Buy them then.

They are available on the ship but are expensive.

I would agree with the poster who said to buy an underwater camera from Walmart. You can get an underwater camera for under $150. You will not use it just on a cruise. I use our waterproof camera for so many occasions; at the pool, canoeing, in rain, etc.

Archived