how do you pack your suit

rjnewbie

all I have is a plain suitcase and the bag my suit came in. do you just fold up your suit and put in the suitcase and hope its doesn't look like you slept in it come formal night?? all suggestions welcomed. soooo :confused:

all I have is a plain suitcase and the bag my suit came in. do you just fold up your suit and put in the suitcase and hope its doesn't look like you slept in it come formal night?? all suggestions welcomed. soooo :confused:

I have had luck laying the suit - buttoned and flattened out so there are no wrinkles or lumps - across the bottom of the suitcase with the sleeves hanging out each side, the tail hanging out the front. Then I begin to pack on top of the suit. My pants go in next across the suitcase, with the waist band in first, again, pants hanging out over the side.Once I have everything in, I fold back the pants, sleeves and suittail.

If it looks creased once you get onboard, hang it in the bathroom and turn the shower on for a while to steam it out.

To some extent it depends more on the fabric than the packing. A cheap suit will wrinkle and a good wool or wool blend can be packed any which way and it will come out looking great.

But, having married a man who loves clothes, what I do is first hold the suit up on a hanger and notice where the sleeves fall. This is the natural line of the suit. Make sure when you pack you end up putting the sleeves in that natural position.

My husband uses heavy wood hangers for his suits, so I replace them with a wire coat hanger. it's usually helpful to have extra hangars when you unpack and it keeps the shoulders straight.

Leave the suit in the dry cleaning bag if you have it in one already.

Un button the jacket. without a body in the suit, the front panels will over lap each other. Leaving it buttoned will encourage wrinkles.

I've found either the laying it in first, packing about 2 to 3 inches of clothes and then folding the top over, or just laying it in on top folded in 1/2 both work.

But un-bottoning, taking the time to smooth out wrinkles and the dry cleaning bag help.

Some people use special "suit carriers," never seen the point, our stuff always looks OK in an ordinary suit case

We have a large rolling garment bag and it works fantastic. Not just for suits, but for any clothes that may become wrinkled. It holds my husbands suit, both my cocktail dresses, about 7 of my husbands shirts, about 3 pair of his slacks, plus a few of my blouses and a pair of slacks for me. The outside pockets hold shoes (usually his 2 pair) there is an inside packing area that holds underwear, socks, belts, etc... In other words, you can pack for a full week in the garment bag.

The beauty of it is nothing gets wrinkled and when you go to unpack, all you have to do is remove it from the case and hang the clothes in the closet. After wearing our clothes, we put them back on the same hangers and repack the same way we left home. It's also easier to pack, no folding, no trying to figure out how to pack your clothes, just hang and go.

The point being it's simpler than a regular suitcase.

Archived