Another Carseat question-HAWAII

1bellamarie

We're sailing to Hawaii (14 day RT out of L.A.) and are getting conflicting answers from Princess re: the need for a carseat on excursions.

Our son is 16 months and small so a booster isn't even an option. We'll take a seat if we need to, but, we're hoping to book excursions that are on motor coaches, but, one Princess rep says we MUST have a car seat in a motor coach, another rep says no...

Experiences????

Christine

I've found that buses don't even have seatbelts....so a carseat is useless.....check the port of call boards for others who have done the excursions you're interested in....they will be able to tell you specifically what sort of transportation they had on the same trip.

I did that cruise with my twin toddlers (spectacular cruise!). cb's advice is good - as usual - to ask on the Hawaii board about the specific tours you're considering. I think as a rule the person on the phone at the cruise line will have no idea how things are on board or on shore (not just on Princess, but on most cruise lines). Those who have done the excursions can tell you what kind of transporation is used.

I got so much great advice on the ports of call board - we had a really great time and only did one ship excursion, the submarine ride, and they took us on busses that did not require a car seat. In Hilo we rented a car for next to nothing and it was basically a straight shot to drive to the volcano, then the macadamia nut factory and a stop at Walmart right by the port to pick up inexpensive souvenirs and stock up on supplies for the trip back across the Pacific. In Kaui we walked to the beach, and we missed Maui due to rough seas (don't wait to do your souvenir shopping in Maui just in case :rolleyes:).

Have a wonderful time!

Best,

Mia

DD and SIL spent ten days in Kona right after Christmas 2009. They had an almost 3-year old (very tall for age) and an almost 1-year old.(very average size) They took their car seats with them and rented a car for the duration. No problem, other than the 3-year old's dangling legs! They have since bought a larger car seat for her. They had to pay to check in the car seats each way (which, IMO, should not be charged. Car seats are not luggage, and are necessary in the US.) They could have rented a car with car seats, but it would have cost more than bringing their own. This is what I was told. They flew on two airlines on FF miles. Tour buses are used widely and are very comfortable. But - no car seats. They live in Oregon, and you cannot even start your car without properly secured car seats!

I visit HI several times a year and always rent a car. Public transportation, except in Honolulu is almost non-existent. The one motor coach I took on Kauai a few years ago, did have seat belts so that we could secure our car seat.

I took a tour bus from Princeville, Kauai, to do the Na Pali cliffs boat tour, and no seat belts. It was a smaller bus, but no seat belts. However, this was the only tour bus in HI I've been on, but there were quite a number of tour buses this size.

Thanks for the responses everyone! To be safe we've decided to just rent cars in the ports and request car seats for the rental. We're taking our own car seat on the ship just in case we get the car and find the rented one isn't adequate or safe enough. Either way, whatever happens, as long as we're safe, we'll have a fantastice time!! Of that I am certain!

Archived