Is it safe arriving Lima airport traveling to hotel at 1 am?

tak2

I have to make a decision quickly whether to make this trip, but holding me back is my flight arrival time of 1am, and I'm not sure about safety traveling at that hour. I don't mind paying for an upscale hotel in order to obtain more secure transfer if that means peace of mind.

Thanks for your comments.

I have to make a decision quickly whether to make this trip, but holding me back is my flight arrival time of 1am, and I'm not sure about safety traveling at that hour. I don't mind paying for an upscale hotel in order to obtain more secure transfer if that means peace of mind.

Thanks for your comments.

Almost all planes from North America arrive after 11PM, so you won't be alone. Your best option is to contact your hotel and have them send a car for you. The driver will be at the airport with a signboard with your name on it. The way I ALWAYS travel into and out of Lima. Most hotels have this capacity, especially the better hotels.

You can contact my favorite hotel in Lima-NOT fancy, but service to die for. Ask for the first floor rooms (all the others are upstairs-I don't stay here if there are no rooms on the first floor). Absolutely lovely rooms-my favorite has a little patio right out the back door. Breakfast (cooked to order) and airport pickup included in room price. Contact Luis. Enjoy!!!

http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

Thanks. How far is that hotel from cruise terminal? I presume hotel will also arrange transfer when requested in advance?

My plan is to join cruise that sails out from Valparaiso ( Government advises avoid tourism travel to Valparaiso ), is it a hassle to get through the restricted port area, even with cruise documents?

Thanks.

Thanks. How far is that hotel from cruise terminal? I presume hotel will also arrange transfer when requested in advance?

My plan is to join cruise that sails out from Valparaiso ( Government advises avoid tourism travel to Valparaiso ), is it a hassle to get through the restricted port area, even with cruise documents?

Thanks.

About 40 minutes. The BEST hotels and the safest area in Lima is Miraflores. The cruise terminal is in Callao (the slums). You can have the hotel car drop you off at the entrance to the port. With luggage and cruise documents, you should have no problems. Luis can also make arrangements to get you INSIDE the port (it is an extra cost for the permits).

After arriving the airport at 1am, and perhaps settling in at hotel at 2:30am, where can I find some food at that hour, assuming this is a boutique hotel that doesn't serve food at that time?

Are there some restaurants within safe walking distance, for the next day?

Thanks.

Cruise starts in Valparaiso, Callo ( Lima ) is third port of call. Since government advises against travel for tourism to Santiago - Valparaiso region, the next place to fly to get on board will be Lima.

I also stayed in Miraflores when in Lima at the Hotel Antigua. It is just a small very peruvian hotel. It has bags of character, good food and is in a safe area with good security. They organised my transfers to and from the airpot as they advised that it would be safer for me as a lone female tourist. Transfer to Airport was $17. i was visiting a friend in Lima and we used local taxis a lot when in Lima. he said my transfer was too expensive but personally I was much happier in a nice comfortable car with a polite professional driver than I was in the local taxis with bust suspension, seat belts not working, ripped upholstery and the rest...it was ok for short journeys and with a local accompanying me...I would not have dreamed of using one on my own and I can speak some Spanish.

The Foriegn & Commonwealth Office (UK) carried warnings about kidnappings/hijackings of tourists in taxis in certain areas and eluded to some of the driver being in cahoots with the criminals - mostly tourists were just robbed rather than actually injured.

In my view personal safety is more important than saving a dollar or 2 and in any case the safer more expensive services are still cheaper than we are accustomed to at home.

Cruise starts in Valparaiso, Callo ( Lima ) is third port of call. Since government advises against travel for tourism to Santiago - Valparaiso region, the next place to fly to get on board will be Lima.

Please don't be afraid to go to Santiago to board your cruise. As soon as the airport opens fully, you will be fine. Some on the Star Princess "earthquake" cruise got out of Santiago when they disembarked (they are already home and have been posting that Santiago is largely unaffected) and some embarked in Valpo (they were able to get to Santiago, despite the airport situation). The severe earthquake damage is about 150 miles SOUTH of Santiago (which makes it about 200 miles South of Valpo). I will be in the area for business in a couple of weeks if I EVERY get out of the Middle East. Just an FYI.

Something to consider when staying at the San Antonio Abad on the first floor.The first floor has no air conditioning so if your traveling when its hot the first floor will get down right warm.We were there three weeks ago,we had a room on the first floor booked but had to change to the second floor to get some air.The people are wonderful,breakfast fantastic but the bed in room no# 2 needs to be thrown out the window.They call these beds a bed and a half,actually their alittle bigger than a twin size.They have rooms that have two beds in them which I would recommend.Wonderful people,they were at the airport waiting on us when we arrived,so this might be an option for you when arriving so late in Lima.

Kimberley

Something to consider when staying at the San Antonio Abad on the first floor.The first floor has no air conditioning so if your traveling when its hot the first floor will get down right warm.We were there three weeks ago,we had a room on the first floor booked but had to change to the second floor to get some air.The people are wonderful,breakfast fantastic but the bed in room no# 2 needs to be thrown out the window.They call these beds a bed and a half,actually their alittle bigger than a twin size.They have rooms that have two beds in them which I would recommend.Wonderful people,they were at the airport waiting on us when we arrived,so this might be an option for you when arriving so late in Lima.

Kimberley

I have stayed at San Antonio Abad so many times and never thought about lack of AC. I always ask for the little room on the first floor at the back with the patio out the door. Windows open and the door opens to the outside. I have never stayed in another room. I bet the room across the hall could get warm-no door because it faces the street. Isn't this a great place for so little money? I am always impressed with the hospitality and service I receive there.

Yes,the people are the nicest people,bend over backwards for you.We were in Lima five days and I hate to say this but our bed was so bad I began counting the days until we left.If they would just get bigger beds with a nice mattress it would of been perfect.The little room that you like to stay in was occupied by a couple from Maryland,they were suppose to leave the day we arrived but the snow in the US was so bad they decided to stay,just our luck.Yes the price is amazing,with breakfast its a steal.For any one going to stay at the SanAntonio,there is a little Italian restaurant right behind the hotel,its wonderful,also just up the street a bit there is a little taco place its is delicious and very reasonable.

Kimberley

Ask for the first floor rooms (all the others are upstairs-I don't stay here if there are no rooms on the first floor). Absolutely lovely rooms-my favorite has a little patio right out the back door. Breakfast (cooked to order) and airport pickup included in room price. Contact Luis. Enjoy!!!

http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

We are staying there in September. Why not the 2nd floor????

We try never to stay on the 1st floor because we can always hear the people above us. Some floors are so thin that people walking sounds like they are doing exercises above us!

CoolCruise02:We were there a month ago,and we had the first floor booked but had to move to the second floor because the first floor doesn't have air conditioning and it was very warm.Not only that but they don't have screens on the windows so lots of buggies can fly in.I highly recommend the second floor,the air will freeze you out of there.If you get room no#2 I feel sorry for you,the bed was the worst thing I have ever slept on,really.The beds are very small so if your use to a king size bed you will be shocked.All in all the SanAntonio abad is a very nice place to stay,would I stay there again????only if they changed out there beds.The people are the best very kind.

Kimberley

We are staying there in September. Why not the 2nd floor????

We try never to stay on the 1st floor because we can always hear the people above us. Some floors are so thin that people walking sounds like they are doing exercises above us!

This is a very old building with high ceilings and plaster walls. You won't hear any noise from above. I have never stayed on the second floor just because. I love the little room on the first floor with the patio out back. I have never NOT had it available, but I suppose it would be a possibility as mylove found out. I reserve stuff well in advance when I have specific needs (like the first floor patio room). You have to remember-I am generally there on business. So have different needs than cruisers. And they have a great little internet set up right out the back door of "my" room. The beds in that particular first floor room are twins. As I posted, I never thought about AC-the windows and doors open in the first floor room I am so fond of and there ARE screens on those windows.

Wish I would of been able to get the patio room sounds wonderful,but the couple from Maryland weren't giving it up.:(We looked at all the other bottom floor rooms and none of them had screens,even our room on the second floor didn't have a screen on it,so I guess the patio room is the room to have.Also wanted to mention if you go into town there is a restaurant called Havana,they make the best pisco sours,you only need a couple they are pretty potent.Also the portions of food are huge so me and my hubby always shared.Right up the street across the bridge is a chicken place (parrillo chicken)I believe,you will love it,also huge portions.They have a corn drink there that is purple and its delicious,forgot the name but everyone drinks it.If you are wanting to take a tour of the city go to the park a few blocks and book it there,very reasonable.They also have a night bus tour which I recommend,all the lights very pretty.

Kimberley

The purple corn drink is called "Chicha Morada" if I remember correctly. I haven't had it for a long time but it is so good I haven't forgotten.:D I think they have both fermented and non-fermented, like Apple Cider.

The purple corn drink is called "Chicha Morada" if I remember correctly. I haven't had it for a long time but it is so good I haven't forgotten.:D I think they have both fermented and non-fermented, like Apple Cider.

Now you are bringing back fond memories.....

The Inca Cola is worth a try too but its' a bit weird being clear coloured rather than the usual dark brown

Archived