HELP!! Carnival Miracle vs NCL dawn

first_timer2

Hi,

This is our 3rd cruise and have been on carnival before (4 day bahamas) and wasn't too impressed with it...but I refuse to say I'm never going to try Carnival again. Right now, I'm stuck between 2 itenaries that I really like and I don't know what to do. NCL dawn 7 days to Bermuda or Carnival Miracle 8 days caribbean. Both are in May and Carnival is quite a bit cheaper than NCL. The price is not what will make me choose one over the other...what will is the food at the restaurants. After a beautiful day, I love to sit at a restaurant and discover the various delicious food they offer.

Our first cruise was with Princess Caribbean and it left us in amazment! Can I compare these 2 cruiselines to princess or I'm totally out in the left field by looking at either of these 2? I really need your help with this!

thank you all

Hi,

This is our 3rd cruise and have been on carnival before (4 day bahamas) and wasn't too impressed with it...but I refuse to say I'm never going to try Carnival again. Right now, I'm stuck between 2 itenaries that I really like and I don't know what to do. NCL dawn 7 days to Bermuda or Carnival Miracle 8 days caribbean. Both are in May and Carnival is quite a bit cheaper than NCL. The price is not what will make me choose one over the other...what will is the food at the restaurants. After a beautiful day, I love to sit at a restaurant and discover the various delicious food they offer.

Our first cruise was with Princess Caribbean and it left us in amazment! Can I compare these 2 cruiselines to princess or I'm totally out in the left field by looking at either of these 2? I really need your help with this!

thank you all

Lead a CC Group on the Dawn last year and taking one on the Miracle in May this year!;) 8 day vs 7 day prices are similiar, both leaving out of NYC, been to Bermuda 4 times, come join our CC Group in May, or look for my review when we return!:D The Dawn was excellent and my review is below if interested!:cool:

Hi,

thank you all

My opinion of NCL was average food in the dining room, better food at the specialty restaurants. My husband and I spent hundreds of extra dollars eating at the specialty restaurants, because the food was so much better than the dining room.

We just booked our 2nd Carnival cruise, and part of what made us choose it was the food. The food on our cruise last April was just delicious.

Hi,

thank you all

For a variety and quality of food, you need to go with NCL. NCL food quality is far superiority to Carnival in the MDR, and the specilaity restaurants are head and shoulder above anything that Carnival produces. For itinerary, I would pick the carnival cruise.

I would pick the 8 day Miracle. The food in the MDR is good. The steakhouse is wonderful. Neither NCL nor Carnival is going to be the same as your Princess cruise. That is why they are cheaper. I have never been on NCL, but Carnival offers a great product for the price. A 7 day cruise on Carnival is going to be a different experience than a 4 day. Miracle is probably a nicer ship than your previous Carnival cruise. They tend to use the Newer ships for the longer itinerarys.

I have been on the Dawn 2x and Miracle 3x... - both ships are beautiful, I think the Dawn is bit more traditional, perhaps art deco..

IMHO, the food from MDR to MDR is better on the Miracle, but the specialty restaurants are much better overall..

I also believe there is much more to do on the Dawn.. Which would make me pick this over the Miracle.

I can't believe Carnival is cheaper than NCL, I mean I believe it but usually NCL has better sales..

Whichever you choose, you won't lose...but neither would compare to Princess... ENJOY:)

My family and I will be taking our first cruise this July on the Miracle out of NYC. I thought there would've been more destination choices in the summer months out of New York, but there wasn't. Regardless of cruise lines, the choices were Bermuda (all 3 port days), Bahamas E. Caribbean and Canada. We're traveling with other families who have been just about everywhere and the Miracle to San Juan, St Thomas and Grand Turk had the most appeal.

So, I say go with the Miracle, for no other reason than I am too :D

My family and I will be taking our first cruise this July on the Miracle out of NYC. I thought there would've been more destination choices in the summer months out of New York, but there wasn't. Regardless of cruise lines, the choices were Bermuda (all 3 port days), Bahamas E. Caribbean and Canada. We're traveling with other families who have been just about everywhere and the Miracle to San Juan, St Thomas and Grand Turk had the most appeal.

So, I say go with the Miracle, for no other reason than I am too :D

Carnival's Spirit class ships are the best in the fleet. Can't go wrong with the Miracle on a 8 day cruise.

Pat

If you're a foodie, NCL wins hands down. The shear variety of dining venues is impressive, but there will be a surcharge for many of them. We have sailed with NCL several times, and the food in their specialty restaurants, IMO, is absolutely outstanding. Just make sure that you have a clear understanding of which restaurants carry a surcharge and which do not.

Thank you all for your help. I'm leaning more and more towards carnival, 1st because of your remarks, but also because now I find out that Bermuda may be cold in May:(

Thank you guys, you a are the best!

I've been on the Dawn and Carnival's Glory and I would choose the Dawn.....except for what you say about Bermuda in May. It would be better to go later in the season. However, the Dawn is a great ship. Many entertainment and dining options.

NCL and Carnival are not as elegant as Princess. Food is similar on all; I wouldn't make that a factor in my cruise choice because most ppl can find something they like to eat.

I wouldn't go to Bermuda before June. We went end of May 2 yrs ago and the water was cold. And IMO Dawn needs to be refurbished.

Miracle 8 nighter is great. We did that last May and it was perfect. If you are going to Half Moon Cay, there is no better spot (aside from the annoying tendering!)! It is a perfect island with a perfect beach and perfect water.

Enjoy! I like all 3 lines and will continue to sail them.

Thank you all for your help. I'm leaning more and more towards carnival, 1st because of your remarks, but also because now I find out that Bermuda may be cold in May:(

Thank you guys, you a are the best!

I have been to Bermuda many times, 2 cruises in early May and and one in mid May..

I would not say it's cold.. but temperatures can range from 65+/up - just depends... and we spent the days there on the beach.. it was beautiful

It's absolutely beautiful, my favorite island.. but it will not be as hot as say St Maarten or the Caribbean.. It would not stop me from cruising there in May...

:)

I have some photos of the Dawn.. i will post.. Miracle too

That's funny, i think the exact opposite. I've been on the carnival splendor and NCL dawn last year, and i didn't think the food on the dawn was very good. I also wasn't happy with their dine any time program....we had to make a reservation 24 hours in advance for where we wanted to eat, and the whole point was that we didn't want to have to make plans ahead of time....oh well. To each their own!

That's funny, i think the exact opposite. I've been on the carnival splendor and NCL dawn last year, and i didn't think the food on the dawn was very good. I also wasn't happy with their dine any time program....we had to make a reservation 24 hours in advance for where we wanted to eat, and the whole point was that we didn't want to have to make plans ahead of time....oh well. To each their own!

That was only for the specialty restaurants, you do not need reservations for the MDR and about 3 or 4 of the non-surcharge restaurants.

No question... the Dawn.

Carnival has better food but the Dawn is a nicer ship. Also there really is no choice here. I'd choose Bermuda over Bahamas regardless of the ship.

This will be the last year for the Dawn out of NYC.

It moves to Boston next year.

• 3 weeks later...

We too went back and forth between the Dawn and the Miracle out of NYC based on the itinerary.

7 nights on the Dawn with 3 whole days spent in Bermuda or 8 nights (for a little more $) with 3 different ports on the Miracle. We chose the Miracle because if we didn't like Bermuda then we'd be stuck there for 3 days.

The cruise lines need to get their heads on straight and offer more out of NYC or Jersey or Phili even. I don't care if it was 10 days and was more $$ if I was going to different places. I just hate the whole idea of having to count on an airline getting you to the State where your ship is going out of on time. After paying for the airline ticket and a night in a hotel room just to be sure to board the ship on-time it's not worth it unless you have money to burn. I would rather use that money to buy stuff on the islands.

Just my opinion.

I think alot of the decision for me is the ports. While Bermuda is beautiful, I enjoy seeing a few different places while on a cruise. To see just one, you may as well fly there.

I was not a fan of the Miracle when it was more of a Bahamas-based cruise, but now that they offer Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay (along with Nassau), that's what got me to book the Miracle. Great ports! And I have never been on NCL, but have never been disappointed in the MDR food on any Carnival ship on our 4 prior cruises. It is so good, I don't even feel the need to go to the steakhouse!

Archived