No norovirus outbreaks on RCCL in 2009

Interesting article:

Cruise Ship Norovirus Outbreaks Dropped in 2009

Notably, there were a number of major lines in 2009 — including Royal Caribbean, Disney and Cunard — that did not report a single outbreak to the CDC.

Hand-washing: it works, people!

Also: the human immune system is a marvelous thing. It also works.

-Dito

Interesting article:

Cruise Ship Norovirus Outbreaks Dropped in 2009

Hand-washing: it works, people!

Also: the human immune system is a marvelous thing. It also works.

-Dito

RCCL did have 2 outbreaks about Celebrity ships, Royal Caribbean International, however was Noro Free

On our 1/3/10 sailing we had all white linens. The room attendant said the usual green ones had been removed because of the noro outbreak on the previous 2 sailings...

???????"usual green linens"????? White linens have always been the order of the day whenever we have cruised with RCI and other lines. Can't ever recall seeing "green linens".:)

???????"usual green linens"????? White linens have always been the order of the day whenever we have cruised with RCI and other lines. Can't ever recall seeing "green linens".:)

Since the bedding change over, the decorative pillows and the bottom stripe have been green. Though for some reason I think we had one that had blue ones, but I might be thinking of something else.

:)

ETA: our Alaska trip in 2008 on Serenade had blue pillows.

Hope their good record continues into 2010. It would ruin a dream holiday if you came down with it and were confined to your cabin for 2+ days. Last year on Brilliance after the out-break of swine flu, they introduced sanitiser gels in the dining rooms and when boarding the ships, are these still i use ?

I guess a lot of that record depends upon whether the initial reports of Noro on Vision turn out to be Noro or food poisoning (as was reported by MSNBC). I think there is another current thread about Jewel as well.

As far as the larger corporation, I think that both Celebrity Mercury and Summit have both been hit already?

Sorry I don't have time to search the boards more thoroughly, got to get the little one off to school! I'm sure someone else will have more thorough reports than I do.

I guess a lot of that record depends upon whether the initial reports of Noro on Vision turn out to be Noro or food poisoning (as was reported by MSNBC). I think there is another current thread about Jewel as well.

As far as the larger corporation, I think that both Celebrity Mercury and Summit have both been hit already?

Sorry I don't have time to search the boards more thoroughly, got to get the little one off to school! I'm sure someone else will have more thorough reports than I do.

I apologize if my summary or title were inaccurate. I don't really get too concerned over the difference between corporate entities and individual brands. "RCCL", in this forum, I assumed to mean "The cruise line called Royal Caribbean; the one with the big blue anchor logo."

Anyway, my point is posting it was even more simple: the paranoia and hysteria over noro is overblown. The numbers of people on ships on any given day, compared to the number of norovirus infections, is a tiny, tiny fraction. It's just that when a full-blown outbreak happens, it's big news. It's like an airplane crash. Very rare, but very obvious when it does happen.

Noro can break out anywhere you have lots of people in small spaces - schools, offices, restaurants, cruise ships... Common sense and good practices DO actually work. I hear too many people who believe cruise ships are floating petri dishes of disease. I don't work for the cruise lines; it's just that ignorance and misinformation drive me crazy.

-Dito

I apologize if my summary or title were inaccurate. I don't really get too concerned over the difference between corporate entities and individual brands. "RCCL", in this forum, I assumed to mean "The cruise line called Royal Caribbean; the one with the big blue anchor logo."

Anyway, my point is posting it was even more simple: the paranoia and hysteria over noro is overblown. The numbers of people on ships on any given day, compared to the number of norovirus infections, is a tiny, tiny fraction. It's just that when a full-blown outbreak happens, it's big news. It's like an airplane crash. Very rare, but very obvious when it does happen.

Noro can break out anywhere you have lots of people in small spaces - schools, offices, restaurants, cruise ships... Common sense and good practices DO actually work. I hear too many people who believe cruise ships are floating petri dishes of disease. I don't work for the cruise lines; it's just that ignorance and misinformation drive me crazy.

-Dito

Oh Dito, my post was not meant in any way to be negative toward what you were saying or trying to correct you. I was actually hoping you were right.:o

We just had an outbreak of Noro at our University (though they didn't call it that--they did, however, put up signs in all the dining venues telling everyone a "gastrointestinal illness is being widely reported on campus and we urge you to redouble handwashing efforts and use the hand sanitizer stations located at all dining venues." Another round is also, apparently, making its way through the Hospital staff. They REALLY don't advertise those!!! You are right, it happens waaaaaay more than people realize (and this is prime Noro season!).:)

Maybe not a single norovirus outbreak in 2009, but on Vision of the Seas last wednesday 310 passangers got ill - mostly brazillians. The health authorities of Brazil denied all passanger on Vision of the Seas to enter the harbour Buzios.

Link in norwegian only:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/03/06/tema/reise/rccl/norovirus/matforgiftning/10735012/

(nice picture of Vision of the Seas though.)

We were on Brilliance in December (ending Jan 3, 2010) and had norovirus. It looks like from reading CDC, they only have to report it when >3% have reported symptoms. 3 of the 4 of us had it and were confined for 24hrs (yellow circle outside our room beside door frame). They were actually pretty good to us considering 24 hours was the least of our problems... we really felt crappy for about 4 days, and because 3 of us got sick, staggered of course, it really affected about 7 days of our trip. They let us watch pay per view movies, we could drink the gingerale from the mini bar, and visit the infirmary without charge. But - we were pretty nasty sick (both ends) and that's tough with 4 people in a small cabin.

I was wondering what compensation you've heard about or experienced from having your vacation interrupted/inconvenienced like this?

I kind of waffle about whether they should have to offer anything - certainly we're healthy people and have cruised many times without getting sick - who's "fault" is it we got sick? I of course said to my 13 year old when he was sick first - "i told you to wash your hands...." wanh wanh wanh! Then I got sick, then my DH. Yikes!

They did send a letter apologizing, and a future cruise certificate for $228 for me, nothing for my husband??, and $107 for my son, however it's not valid on holiday sailings, which is our next cruise, and only valid on RCCL, not Celebrity, and only valid for 1 year. So - we won't be using this unfortunately. I'd like to ask them if they could exchange it for something more useful, but thought I'd ask around to see what others have rec'd.

Thanks for your ideas & information.

2010 doesn't look too good.....

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta say Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas, Celebrity Cruises' Millennium and Holland America's Maasdam all are reporting large numbers of passengers suffering from diarrhea and vomiting."

Archived