Electric outlet question

Rafaella

I have ordered a scooter for my mom, she is unable to walk long distances after stroke. Would someone, please, tell me what kind of electric outlets HAL has? -= or just = ? I just don't remember, never used one, I guess.

I need to buy the extension cord just in case, and this is my dilemma.

Thank you kindly,

R.

I have ordered a scooter for my mom, she is unable to walk long distances after stroke. Would someone, please, tell me what kind of electric outlets HAL has? -= or just = ? I just don't remember, never used one, I guess.

I need to buy the extension cord just in case, and this is my dilemma.

Thank you kindly,

R.

You have a larger issue than the electrical outlet -- usually one in the cabin, US 3 prong outlet -- so if you have other stuff to plug in, a power strip is probably better than an extension cord...

BIG ISSUE: If your mother needs to use a scooter, you need to get a handicap-accessible cabin! Very few "regular" cabin doorways are large enough to accommodate scooters, and cruise lines aren't allowing passengers to leave power chairs or scooters in the hallways anymore. They're a real hazard, blocking the halls, and if you try leaving them by the elevators, a temptation to be played with, or otherwise damaged.

Check with HAL for particulars...given that they are more accommodating to people with disabilities than some lines, this advice may be wrong...but you really do need to check and not just assume that what you might have done before is what you can do, now!

Jippers, the scooter is small size, I never thought about what you have posted above... But, The scooter will be left in the cabin prior to our arrival, according to " ..... company.." SO, I am assuming, they KNOW what they are doing, right? No one has mentioned the "disable" cabin for this purpose..

I only can hope, otherwise, HAL will have to come up with handicapped cabin for us.

thanks, anyway.

Jippers, the scooter is small size, I never thought about what you have posted above... But, The scooter will be left in the cabin prior to our arrival, according to " ..... company.." SO, I am assuming, they KNOW what they are doing, right? No one has mentioned the "disable" cabin for this purpose..

I only can hope, otherwise, HAL will have to come up with handicapped cabin for us.

thanks, anyway.

Seems to be a lack of planning here...The scooter company assumes that you HAVE a handicapped accessible cabin. HAL assumes you booked the kind of cabin you needed. If you didn't, it's your problem, not HAL's. EM

thanks, anyway.

The scooter company knows nothing and has in the past given out bad advice. I know because before I purchased my own scooter, this is what they told me and it was all false.

From experience, I know most scooters will not fit through the basic cabin doors. Not even my Pride Go Go will fit unless I remove the arm rests, and even then it's a squeeze. The other BIG problem is finding space in your cabin. Believe me, even if you can get the scooter through the door, most cabins are so small, with very little walking space, that the scooter might not fit anywhere in the cabin. I know that on one cruise I was on, I had to store my small scooter in my sister's larger suite because I could not get the scooter beyond the entrance, and there it blocked the way to the bathroom.

You are not allowed to keep the scooter in the hallway because it's a hazard to anyone who needs to get by the scooter in a wheelchair or for the room stewards to get their carts to the cabins.

I think you need to call HAL and see if they have any HC cabins available. If not, you may have to switch to a folding wheelchair for her. Sorry that no one told you all the ins and outs of cruising with a disabled person.

thanks, anyway.

Nope! HAL won't have to "come up" with a handicapped cabin for you. You should have made those arrangements at booking. Since there are a limited number of handicapped cabins on board, you'd better do some quick checking to be sure you can get what you need, or else cancel the scooter. You may have to arrange for a wheelchair instead. Sorry! The obligation lies with you to book the type cabin you require - not Holland America! to "come up" with a cabin change at the last minute. :(

thanks, anyway.

Sorry, HAL won't "come up with" a handicap accessible cabin for you, unless there is one available. There are very few of them on cruise ships, and those that are there are often booked months in advance.

If there should be one available...if it is in the same "class" or category as the cabin you now have booked, the cost would be the same. But if it is in a higher or more expensive category, you'll need to pay the difference.

You might go on the HAL board, tell the folks there what cabin you have, and see if anyone else has stayed in there, and can tell you the size.

Good luck!

thanks, anyway.

Don't stress . Provided you do not need a large barriatric scooter and rented a standard scooter, than just call the rental company back and stress to them that you have a standard size cabin. Most of the cruiseline's approved rental companies are using the Pride GO GO Elite Traveler as their standard rentals. This scooter is 19.5" wide. It fits through the standard cabin doorway. Yes contrary to what other posters state the Pride Go Go will fit through the standard cabin doorway. I know this is as this is what I always rent and never had a HC cabin. The worst case senerio is that you might have to take the arm rests off. They are just held in with a pin peg that can is easy to pull out. Just remember to placed them back on the scooter the day of your departure.

Don't stress . Provided you do not need a large barriatric scooter and rented a standard scooter, than just call the rental company back and stress to them that you have a standard size cabin. Most of the cruiseline's approved rental companies are using the Pride GO GO Elite Traveler as their standard rentals. This scooter is 19.5" wide. It fits through the standard cabin doorway. Yes contrary to what other posters state the Pride Go Go will fit through the standard cabin doorway. I know this is as this is what I always rent and never had a HC cabin. The worst case senerio is that you might have to take the arm rests off. They are just held in with a pin peg that can is easy to pull out. Just remember to placed them back on the scooter the day of your departure.

Yes, I did state that you can squeeze the Pride Go Go through the door, but the big problem will be, where to put the scooter once through the doorway. I had a Sky Suite on Celebrity, a very roomy cabin, but once I got the scooter through the door, it would not go any further because of the configuration of the cabin---there were walls that jutted out and went around in a very tight manner. So, depending on the configuration of the OP's cabin, she may not be able to have the scooter in the cabin without blocking either the main door or the entrance to the bathroom.

Where is the OP supposed to put the scooter once she squeezes it (barely) through the cabin door & it is inside the cabin? :confused: Unless she has a suite or a mini-suite, the cabin design is not going to let the scooter go much farther than inside the door and be parked in front of the closet & bathroom, blocking access to both areas.

If her mom is so disabled in getting around the she needs a scooter, how is she to climb over the dang thing to get in and around the the cabin? Just asking...

Archived