Embarkation Question

judyfssw

We've always flown in the day before we cruise. However, we have some friends, new to cruising, who are flying in on the day of our cruise. They did not purchase the transfer tickets and plan to get a taxi from the San Juan airport to the ship.

If they put their luggage tags on before they fly to San Juan, will their luggage be taken from the airport to the pier for them? Should they wait until they arrive in San Juan to put on their luggage tags?

What are your suggestions?

:confused:

I would suggest that they DO NOT put the cruise luggage tags on. If it were me, I'd be making sure I picked my luggage up in San Juan and took it to the taxi with me and THEN put the cruise luggage tags on before turning their suitcases over to the porters at the pier. There is NOTHING worse than missing luggage. Don't take the chance thinking the cruise line will pick your luggage up. Lost luggage would be an awful way to start a cruise....especially flying in the day of.

Good luck! Hope all goes well!

Believe you will find Federal rules regarding luggage in airports now require the owner only to pick luggage from the carousel, even airport porters are not to touch them without the owner there. TSA's can handle luggage unclaimed from the carousels following a flight.

Regulations following 9-11 are different than they were before and seem to keep changing weekly, monthly, whenever they feel to change them.

Don't mind the increased security precautions, I actually feel good about them. Makes me feel a bit safer when traveling.

Dianne

The luxury of having our bags taken to the ship for us is gone! You must claim them & if riding the bus (transfer) then the lugagge goes to the ship as you just embark. If you are cabbing it to the ship, then tags are on & you give them to the porters before you embark.

Pick up luggage in SJ and take w/ them to ship. It is not too far from a/p to either pier in SJ. We always go a day ahead, too, but our LA friends flew in on the redeye last Jan....no probs -- met them in the DR for lunch!!!

Any estimates on taxi fare from San Juan airport to the Pan American Pier? Is this about a half-hour cab ride? We are on Celebrity's Constellation departing Feb. 5, flight arrives 3:30 -m same day.)

I guess my question on taxi fares from San Juan airport to Pan American pier got lost along the way. :cool: Just looking for a taxi-fare estimate, and any update on embarkation hassles (if any!) on Constellation. thanks all!

Archived