Best destinations for infants/toddlers?

globalhoneymooning

While we're interested in doing an Alaskan cruise this year with our then 9mo & 29mo olds, I'm looking for recommendations for other cruising destinations that past cruisers felt were ideal for this age group.

Also, if you did any excursions with children this age, please share that.

Overall, I'm trying to figure out what are good places to vacation with very young kids other than sitting on the beach at a resort and going to theme parks like Disney.

I thought cruising would be great since the 2+ yr old could participate in some kid programs and would also have the ship to explore. We're also going to start potty training in hopes of being able to use the pools on board by the time August rolls around.

We have only done Caribbean cruises and our now 5 yr old has been cruising since she was 2 yrs old.

For us, it made a world of difference cruising when she was 3 yrs old and able to go to the kids club which she LOVES. We sail Royal Caribbean who's kids club age min. is 3 but I think other lines (Disney/Carnival may have different guidelines). It was just the perfect balance of family time and some adult time for dh and I. Potty training also made a world of difference so she could go into the pool, otherwise we were limited and we didn't feel like bringing an inflatable pool on board.

I think both Alaska and Caribbean are great choices but I'm just thinking maybe a warmer climate may be easier for little ones who can just wear lightwieght clothes outside instead of being bundled up. Another thought of mine is maybe wait until they are are a little older for Alaska so they can really take in all the great scenes and wildlife.

When my two oldest were that age, we used to vacation at Smugglers Notch, VT. They have lots of family oriented activities. There is much more there available for kids than cruise ships IMO - large wading pool for toddlers, water slide for toddlers, hiking, canoeing etc etc.

The only US based ships that have babysitting for 9 month olds are Oasis of the Seas, Disney Wonder and Disney Magic. The Magic will be in the Med this summer.

For the 2 year old, Carnival or NCL have camp programs for that age. Carnival will change diapers, NCL won't.

I thought an Alaskan cruise was great for my 4 year old. However, the only excursion I did which would probably work with children the ages of yours, would be whale watching, which was great.

We took our son on an Alaskan cruise (HAL) when he was eight months old. My parents came with us, which was a Godsend. We didn't go on any excursions, just walked the towns on our own. He liked being in the stroller and watching the sights. We had most meals either in the Lido or with room service. A few times my parents watched him while my husband and I went to a meal alone. He was taking three naps a day, so we spent a lot of time in the room or on the balcony, which was perfect since the sights were so beautiful. We had a great time, and it was a fantastic way to travel.

Archived