Help! NCL or DCL

I am really struggling with which cruise line to choose for next Spring Break 2011. We are all huge Disney fans, but my parents rave about NCL. We have never cruised with either. We will be travelling with our 8 year old daughter, so the choice is difficult. I have been looking at the Epic and also the Disney Dream. With Disney, I know that the soda, juices, snacks, etc are all included with the price. What are the extra charges on NCL? Children, or at least my child, wouldn't understand that everything costs extra - we usually do all-inclusive vacations. Are any of the juices included on NCL? My hubby and I went on RCCL many years back and they had a juice area outside one of the buffets that was free of charge. I just don't want to end up spending huge amounts of money on juices for our trip. Also, the price between Disney and NCL is a huge factor as well - just a couple hundred dollars more for a 7 night cruise on NCL based on the cost of a 4 night with DCL. Please help! Which would be better when travelling with a child. I don't want her to be bored or be told "no" all the time when she asks if she can have something!

I am really struggling with which cruise line to choose for next Spring Break 2011. We are all huge Disney fans, but my parents rave about NCL. We have never cruised with either. We will be travelling with our 8 year old daughter, so the choice is difficult. I have been looking at the Epic and also the Disney Dream. With Disney, I know that the soda, juices, snacks, etc are all included with the price. What are the extra charges on NCL? Children, or at least my child, wouldn't understand that everything costs extra - we usually do all-inclusive vacations. Are any of the juices included on NCL? My hubby and I went on RCCL many years back and they had a juice area outside one of the buffets that was free of charge. I just don't want to end up spending huge amounts of money on juices for our trip. Also, the price between Disney and NCL is a huge factor as well - just a couple hundred dollars more for a 7 night cruise on NCL based on the cost of a 4 night with DCL. Please help! Which would be better when travelling with a child. I don't want her to be bored or be told "no" all the time when she asks if she can have something!

Quick response: first of all,regardless of which line you choose she will not be bored..NCL has a great kids program and you can imagine what a good one Disney has. Disney has much larger cabins and yes, more is included. As for the juice bar you remember on RCI years ago, don't think that exists anymore. yes, you will pay for juice other than at breakfast on NCL. You can buy a soda card for your little girl. Maybe you need to explain to her, extra things do cost money, she might understand better than you think she will.

Disney certainly is the top of the line as family cruising goes..Are your parents traveling with you? If they are, I don't think I would choose Disney, if they are not and you don't mind spending a heck of a lot more for the cruise,go with Disney..

Nita

If cost was not a factor for me it would be Disney every time. I like NCL and cruise mainly with NCL because I can easily get to the ports in NYC and Boston and because the cost is 1/2 to 1/3 of DCL. Disney is amazing and I am planning on cruising them May 2011 as long as I can save the $$ :)

As other posters have said, your DD will not be bored on either line. I'd choose by price & itinerary rather than cruiseline (although you're not really comparing apples to apples- you're comparing a 3 or 4 day to a 7 day- 7 days would be my preference!)

As for juice, you can always bring your own (those asceptic boxes travel well) or fill a container at breakfast. Be advised that the "juice" on NCL (as on RCCL) is not all juice. I don't know about DCL (only one cruise with them and never read the labels). If your DD is OK with the juice cocktails, either line will be the same.

One big difference- Freestyle dining might be more convenient for your family.

Another area of difference: On DCL, the evening shows are definitely geared towards families (and they're great shows!). NCL also has very good or great shows and they're all fine for an 8 year old (re content, language, etc). However, some of the shows on NCL might not be interesting to an 8 year old (as they would be on DCL). Both cruise lines have adult shows later in the evening (DCL was strict about asking those under 18 to leave).

I'd cruise DCL again if cost was not a factor!

Disney has much larger cabins

The cabins on the Disney Dream will be smaller than those on the Magic and Wonder, more in line with the cabin size of most mainstream cruise lines.

For me, I will always choose a longer cruise over a shorter itinerary, especially if the difference is only a few hundred dollars.

I'm taking my girls on the Epic TA in June, for two of them this will be their first non-Disney cruise. If they enjoy the ship, I will be changing our 2011 Med cruise from DCL to NCL because the difference in price is substantial for the same basic 7 night itinerary.

Pretty much agree with all above...especially, all Disney all the time; the shows on DCL are indeed spectacular for a cruise ship (actually, I would pay to see them if they weren't on a ship); DCL mainstream cabins are much nicer than others, especially if they have the split bath rooms on Dream; the best 'regular' cabin layout I've seen. And Castaway Cay is breathtaking...just a perfect, pristeen place with great food and fun (I did NOT want to leave...actually, it would've been a great cruise if the itinerary was [Orlando, at sea, Castaway Cay, at sea, Castaway Cay, at sea, Castaway Cay, Orlando].

As your whole family are Disney fans, maybe give it a try but have to agree with Nita...if your parents are going, it might be a bit much for them. We felt overwhelmed with the noise level on Disney as everything felt amplified and it was the least relaxing cruise we've taken.

Four day cruises for me seem to be over so quick (granted, the shortest cruise I did was 5 days and wouldn't do a cruise less than 7 now)...board the ship, go to muster, then listen to disembarkation announcements 2 days later..."it's over already"?

Tough call...cruises aren't that expensive right now, perhaps book both, one for now and one for the following year; then you have the anticipation of looking forward to two cruises with minimal cash outlay as the deposits are low and you won't feel like you've had to choose one over the other.

We did the same itinerary on NCL and DCL (NCL without the kids), and although DCL is nice, for us, it's not worth the extra $ (plus, we're right outside NYC, and the ability to drive 20 minutes to our vacation is huge). Yes, on DCL the soda and juice is included. Just buy your dd a soda card (my kids drink mostly water, so I'm not going to bother for our next cruise).

The cabins on the Disney Dream will be smaller than those on the Magic and Wonder, more in line with the cabin size of most mainstream cruise lines.

For me, I will always choose a longer cruise over a shorter itinerary, especially if the difference is only a few hundred dollars.

I'm taking my girls on the Epic TA in June, for two of them this will be their first non-Disney cruise. If they enjoy the ship, I will be changing our 2011 Med cruise from DCL to NCL because the difference in price is substantial for the same basic 7 night itinerary.

Wasn't even thinking about that, I was still in the Wonder and Magic mode..And yes, we would always choose a 7 day over a 4 day.

Nita

We just decided to bite the bullet and do Disney this Spring Break. In prat due to the fact we hyped up a May Disney parks trip with our kids and then the dates fell through. Doh. No way are we doing the parks over Spring Break so we figured a cruise can be full, but only so full so it became a Disney cruise. Expensive but it'll be a good experience and we can try a cheaper line next time maybe.

My wife and I are traveling sans kids on the Epic in October so we'll get a chance to see how the character thing will work out for NCL. Might be a good family line next year for us.

Good choice. We love NCL but children are only small for a little while and Disney is so magical for them at younger ages. I have a 15 year old son who loves to cruise with us but we took him on Disney at 7, back then he "believed" in mickey and of course thought he would marry one of the princesses so I will never forget his reaction to the activities and characters on the ship - I miss that sweet little boy and I will always have those memories. He is still sweet but sweeter to the girls he meets in the teen club on NCL!

Nickelodeon signed up with NCL and there will be Nickelodeon activities and Nick characters such as Dora the Explorer, SpongeBob on the Epic and NCL year round starting the end of April 2010.

I've never been on NCL before and always wanted to cruise on Disney but with the rates so high and the fact that I have to fly -- TOO MUCH MONEY. When I heard about Nickelodeon, I mentioned it to my 10-year old nephew, he said he would rather have 7 days with Nick activities than 9 days on Princess or Carnival. We've only been on one other cruise and it was on Princess. My nephew had a great time.

He will have a blast on Nickelodeon/NCL cruise. He can't wait to get slimed. They will also have character breakfasts, but they haven't announced the charge for that as of yet. There will also be annual Nickelodeon cruises where families can immerse themselves in Nickelodeon all day. On those special Nick cruises they will have the stars from Nickelodeon shows. My nephew was hoping it would be on the cruise that we are going on. He likes iCarly.

No matter what cruise you decide to go on, have a great time.

Archived