HAL or Princess to Alaska?

lisapow

I'm planning our honeymoon for July and we've decided on a cruise to Alaska, based on itineraries the decision comes down to HAL Volendam or Statendam and Princess cruises Island or Sea Princess. This is where I've suddenly become stuck. Any ideas for which would be better? We're in out late 20's early 30's, I've cruised with HAL about 5 years ago and enjoyed it then, has anything changed? Should I be looking at how old the boats are in terms of looking for boat quality?

Thanks Everybody!!:confused:

I have done both lines in the Caribbean. I like them both and would do either line, although I prefer Princess. I would use price and itinerary to determine which one to select.

2 Alaska with Princess, 2 with HAL, & 1 RCL.

RCL does not offer the itinerary anymore so it is out.

For the NB or SB HAL goes to Seward instead of Whitter, better scenery. From Seattle several HAL trips go to Glacier Bay and Princess goes to Tracy Arm no comparison. GB is better.

The food and viewing on HAL is better since many of the ships are smaller and there is the Crow's nest above the bridge for enclosed viewing. We like the always available selections ie. onion soup is available at each meal and other choices that princess does no offer.

For the fixed dining the upper dining room is used and the chance of a window seat are better.

The pool area has moveable roof for adverse weather.

Need I say more!

I'll keep this short.....PRINCESS....

I have to agree...been on two Princess cruises, and another one the end of this month...last year went on HAL Westerdamm and was extremely disappointed. The food was nowhere near what it is on Princess, the service and entertainment way above on Princess also.

On the pro side of HAL, it does have a must more elegant style to its cruising, does have the covered pool, but almost noone went swimming and we went in July!!!

Going thru Glacier Bay is definitely the way to go...and HAL was wonderful as we were all up on the decks, and HAL passing out soups and coffee...also wine you could purchase...

Overall though? definitely Princess has much more appeal to me...but then again, thats why there are so many different ships to chose from!!

Itinerary should be a major concern in picking the cruise for Alaska...:)

I'll post the same thing here as on the HAL board: you're looking at both roundtrip and one-way cruises. Decide which itinerary you want and THEN choose a ship. There's a BIG difference between the 10-night roundtrip on the Sea Princess from San Francisco and the 7-night one-way on either the Statendam or Island Princess. If you choose any Princess southbound ship (Diamond, Island, or Coral) - all go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

I had an absolutely wonderful time on our HAL Alaska cruise, but I also really enjoyed our recent cruise on Princess so I think either line would be a good choice. If there is one itinerary that you prefer, choose that and don't fret over the choice of cruise lines.

I've been to ALaska on both HAL and Princess. I enjoyed both cruise lines.

I have been on HAL Zuiderdam and Volendam. I really enjoyed the promanade deck on the Hal ships and when in Glacier Bay being able to go out on the forward deck. The naturalist on board was great. I enjoyed the movie theater (they serve popcorn!) in the evenings but not the production shows. In my opinion, HAL ships are more romantic.:o

I have cruised on the Princess Coral in Alaska. I enjoyed the naturalist on board just as much as the naturalist on the HAL ships. I enjoyed the entertainment on the Coral better than on the HAL ships but they show the movies in one of the lounges and no popcorn.

When I go back to Alaska (wishing I could go again this year) I will choose by itinerary and then cruise line. You'll enjoy either line. Oh! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!:)

Archived