Planning a Family Cruise - Suggestions?

Love2Cruise4Less

We have finally decided to do what we’ve talked about for years - go on a family cruise next summer (2011). I have been elected to do the research and bookings.

While I’ve been on a number of cruises (as a single person) I didn’t realize there were a considerable number of different factors to consider when booking a family/group. So I’m hoping some on this board will have some suggestions and opinions to consider.

Due to work/school constraints we are limited to a 7 day cruise sometime during the summer.

Sailing will be nine of us -- Mom (who is 80 years old), five other adults, and three early-teenagers. One of our “families” has never cruised. The others have cruised only once - Alaska.

My questions are the most obvious: where to cruise, which cruise line/ship, and how and when to get the best price.

We’ve always thought the Caribbean would be our destination of choice. But, now, one of my sisters is very concerned Mom, who doesn’t tolerate heat or humidity well, would not have a good time. I tend to disagree, but it has been over ten years since my last cruise to the Caribbean, I was younger, and I didn’t pay much attention to the weather. Is the Caribbean temperature in June/July truly a serious factor to consider?

As mentioned, most of us have already cruised Alaska. None of us have any interest in Mexico. Most of the family takes regular trips to Hawaii - so that, as a destination, is out. Europe, price wise, is out of the question. Wrong season for a New England cruise. What’s left? Bermuda? Any suggestions? Where can both a 13 year old and an 81 year old cruise and have a great time?

Obviously, a destination-certain must be decided before other questions can be answered.

But, in related questions, in some initial searches for Caribbean cruises, June 2011, I find very few results and some prices way “out of line.” Are there fewer ships in the Caribbean now than a decade ago, do the cruise lines not publish their itineraries more than a year in advance or, as I suspect, don’t all cruise lines show up in the search engines/websites I’ve been using? (They use to…. But I’ve never planned a cruise over a year in advance.)

Also, when does one find the best price? I’ve always found (or thought) the best deals are found as the cruise date draws nearer (which, of course, is something one cannot wait for when planning for a group). But I’ve read on these boards some of the best pricing can also be found when a cruise is first announced. I haven’t found this to be true. Is it? I’m guessing the best thing to do is just book it … then watch like a hawk for any pricing changes.

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts and suggestions.

I would not choose the Caribbean in the summer, although it will not be as hot as your temps in Las Vegas! Just a LOT more humid. If you do choose it, I would go in June or late May. It sounds like Bermuda may be a good fit for you...Not nearly as hot, and lots of things to do for all ages. Although they have tasked you with the planning, I would use a travel agent (brick and mortar, not online) when dealing with a group, even if it is all family. Choose the cruise and have each family make their own booking...so you are not stuck reminding all when to pay...EM

Cruising in the summer is so much more expensive now because that's when school is out and when families travel so they jack up the rates. I like the previous poster's idea; Bermuda would be less humid and hot.

We also need to cruise in the summer months or during school vacations. It is more expensive. We have accepted this as a fact since my DW and I both work in schools and cannot take time off when school is in session. In addition, our kids are also at the age that they really cannot miss school for vacations. So, we have made the best of it by planning some wonderful cruises to the Caribbean and Bermuda. This year we are going to Alaska for a change of pace.

We have traveled to Bermuda several times by cruise ship in the summer. Last year my parents, siblings and their families, and my wife and kids all sailed on the NCL Spirit, Boston to Bermuda. We had a blast. All are seasoned cruisers and we found the ship and the 3 plus days in Bermuda to be the perfect combination for a multi-generation cruise. We also love freestyle dining and planned 2 dinners as a group of 13. The other times we dined on our own either in the main dining rooms or a speciality restaurant.

We were all able to do want we want and have some togetherness as an extended family. We all agreed that we would do this again in the future!

We cruised the southern caribbean out of Puerto Rico for our honeymoon and it was the middle of May and quite hot! We also did a Mexican Riviera this past summer end of July and it was also VERY HOT. If you want to cruise the Caribbean try to do it right when school lets out. For us that would mean the end of June and probably wouldn't help too much weather wise ... when does their summer break start? Hurricane season also begins in June. While you say that Mexico doesn't interest you, don't count it out completely. Our Mexican Riviera cruise was a BLAST! We loved the fact that we could drive to the port and didn't have the added expense of airfare... so much so that we are doing it again!

We also did a family reunion cruise in the summer. Try to pick a date as early in June as possible or as late in August as you can because the rates get higher and higher in between. We left out of NYC and stopped in port Canaveral, where we did Kennedy Space Center for some, a few kayaked and the beach for others. Everyone enjoyed what they chose to do. Next stop was Bahamas where some went to Atlantis for a tour and to gamble/beach, we took my kids to the pirate museum, my sisters's family did a horse and buggy tour of the island and others enjoyed shoppitn. It was hot but not a very long day there and once the ship got moving, the weather was perfect. Last stop was their own private island and everyone really enjoyed it here-from grandparents to the young kids. We sailed on NCL and as a previous poster stated, it was great because we also made reservations a few nights for all of us to dine together, yet a couple of nights we went out own way. We always seemed to meet up though, throughout the day and night. We had a very nice photo taken on the "dress up" night.

We are taking my kids this spring to Bermuda. That is also another great location. Can your group get any spring vacation time together? We are going on my kids vschool vacation week in April it is much cheaper than the summer rates. Bermuda is beautiful, very unlike the Caribbean it is very clean, not poverty ridden and there is lots to do and see. We enjoyed not having to rush back to the ship every afternoon in fear of missing the boat.

Have a great family vacaton, memories that will not be forgotten

Archived