DW got me a Nikon D90 ..what do I do ?????

thrltr

Anniversary present however we have less than two weeks before we cruise and I wont have time to really get into the manuel. This is the first camera I have ever owned. Any quick tips on settings that will help me take good pics on the cruise. Thanks for you help. :cool:

Different settings for different circumstances. There is really no cookbook group of settings unless you want to put it in Auto mode and go with it.

I wouldn't.

You really need to at least skim the manual, this is a much more complicated device than a point & shoot. And due to the expense, you want to get the most out of it.

Dodger 501 is right. It is a tremendously complicated instrument...potentially.

That said, if you are completely new to photography and the manual reads like a foreign language, put the darn thing on Auto and go for it. The camera companies have invested millions in distilling many, many years of photographic expertise into these little photographic computers and they will do a remarkable job on full auto. You can work on learning all about everything in you own time, but don't be afraid to just shoot away and have fun learning.

On my photo site I have a series of newbie-friendly articles that may get you started on understanding terminology and basic concepts.

http://www.pptphoto.com/

There is also a glossary that has a lot of definitions for the alphabet soup (DSLR, APO, AEL, etc...): http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/PhotoTerms.htm

Enjoy your new toy!

Dave

You got a fine camera and gift!

The one great thing about the D90 is it can go full manual with all the bells and whistlers of the best pro cameras but also on the dial you can use the full auto mode ( green camera icon ), or the scene modes ( Portrait, Landscape, sports, closeup and night shot ). In general these do a fair job of manipulating the complex camera to default settings optimized for that shooting style. Than if you are really into it the full manual, aperture, shutter and ISO/WB, EV are all there for you to do further tweeking.

Anniversary present however we have less than two weeks before we cruise and I wont have time to really get into the manuel. This is the first camera I have ever owned. Any quick tips on settings that will help me take good pics on the cruise. Thanks for you help. :cool:

1) Shoot a whole bunch of pictures between now and when you leave. Take the time to review them to see how you are doing;

2) Make sure to bring a laptop computer if you have one or invest a few hundred dollars in a netbook if you do not have one. Check your pictures every day to make sure that they are coming out OK. You do not want to look at the pictures after the trip is over and find out that you were doing something wrong;

3) If you have problems, check with the photo people on the ship when they are not busy. They will be glad to help you;

4) Bring extra memory cards and extra batteries;

5) Most important - thank DW very much and give her a big kiss. She meant well although her timing was a bit off.

Hope that this helps.

DON

Like the others have said, keep it in the green box (auto) for now, and "chimp" (look at the pictures on the viewscreen as you take them).

A great read to understand more about photography is "National Geographic's Field Guide to Photography" with that and a camera specific book, you should be in great shape.

But with two weeks left, green box and make sure you have plenty of memory cards.

Make sure you take the manual with you. Sometimes, even when you intend to shoot in auto, settings get changed & your pictures get goofy. You might need the manual to set things straight. Have fun! Take lots of pictures, then you don't mind throwing away the not so good ones. Get a couple extra memory cards, memory is cheap (compared to price of camera or another cruise!:) )

Make sure you take the manual with you. Sometimes, even when you intend to shoot in auto, settings get changed & your pictures get goofy. You might need the manual to set things straight. Have fun! Take lots of pictures, then you don't mind throwing away the not so good ones. Get a couple extra memory cards, memory is cheap (compared to price of camera or another cruise!:) )

Definitely take the manual.

I practiced with the burst mode before my Alaska trip however by the time I got to use it I forgot. :confused:

I referred to the manual and all was good.

Take extra batteries too.

Denise

Archived