Rum Questions

whoohooo

These are for anybody with an opinion, not just experts, so please weigh in if you have a preference. We will be on the Legend in September and I am looking to add to my liquor collection, specifically rum.

I would like to know the best places to buy rum out of Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and/or Isla Roatan.

Along with places, what brands are good to look for? I know Appleton, but what else?

And last but not least, are there any places that do rum tastings? I assume most shops would let you taste before you buy, but we all know what happens when you assume.

Thanks to everyone ahead of time.

Carnival sells appleton and flavored rums. If you have any OBC, good use of it.

I would like any but coconut, but seems many like it. Carnival sells about 5 flavors I think.

check thru your drink receipes and see if you would like any of these, they have a special price like 4 for $25 or whatever it is.

My father-in-law is a big Rum drinker and has tried about all that I have brought him. I have purchased around 8 or so different kinds including Appleton. His favorite comes from Grand Cayman which I originally bought for him as a joke. It's called BBD or Big Black D!ck. He said that it was smoother than any other brand he had tried. I have drank some also and have to agree. I tried on my June trip to Grand Cayman and they were out all over the Island. I will be trying to get him some more once we go back, as he asks every time I see if we have cruised and if I got some more for him.

Forgot all about BBD. Will certainly have to get a bottle of that.

Hey Firefly, do you remember what Appleton rum they sell onboard?

I was buying the tequlia ... so dont remember.

I DO remember going down to the basement where they were selling the big black dick rum. I also love their rum cakes...much better deals than the tortugla brand, you got a free 32 oz with the purchase of a size pack.

The cruise ships usually have a free rum and liquor tasting one night. I mean it's like a teaspoon of each liquor but you can get an idea from the tasting if you like the rums that they offer for sale. Andif you taste enough of them you might get an added buzz, just kidding.

Last March on the Inspiration they had free tastings of Rum Jumbee (sp?). The woman doing the samples said if you drank enough the drums on the bottle would play in your head. It was rum with a sugary addition to it.

The best Rum I have ever had is PYRAT.

There is no better rum than Tortuga. And the rum cakes rock, too. Until recently it was only available in the Caymans. It is the only rum made there, I believe, and is sold all over the island, as well as on the ship. Trust me, it is the best rum ever made.

There is no better rum than Tortuga. And the rum cakes rock, too. Until recently it was only available in the Caymans. It is the only rum made there, I believe, and is sold all over the island, as well as on the ship. Trust me, it is the best rum ever made.

Iv gotten Tortuga rum and cakes in Key West, and even she said dont buy them here, the cakes are fresher if you wait until you get to the Caymans.

I still thought the Black Dicks rum cakes were just as good, a few different kinds that Tortuga didnt have, and only one location I found to buy them, whereas Tortuga has tons of locations, highly promoted, so maybe thats why it sells for more $$$.

You can also buy the Tortuga rum cakes onboard most Carnival ships and other cruislines, but I dont know how many years they have been carrying them. They had samples out on Ecstasy daily on my last cruise, pushed them more than usual.

Last March on the Inspiration they had free tastings of Rum Jumbee (sp?). The woman doing the samples said if you drank enough the drums on the bottle would play in your head. It was rum with a sugary addition to it.

The best Rum I have ever had is PYRAT.

I totally agree with the Pyrat, it's excellent!!!!

Oh btw did you hear the drums????:D;)

Cheers, Carole

All you rum cake fans, did you know that you can make the rum cake yourself?

If you google Bacardi cake a recipe will come up.

I make them as gifts for friends and family at Christmas all the time and everyone loves, loves , loves them.

It's an awesome recipe, except I don't add the rum to the glaze till the glaze cools a little, that way the rum isn't cooked.

YUM

Cheers, Carole

• 3 weeks later...

I am and have been a HUGE Mount Gay fan ever since my college swim team went to Barbados on a training trip. While there I had had a few and told my Coach I love the Mount Gay...she suggested trying the "Extra Old" which is wayyyyy better than the regular. Am definitely going to try the others suggested here though

Big Black Dick's coconut rums was the best any of us here have tasted but every time we to go GC they don't have it. Perhaps they don't even make the coconut anymore, that would be a damn shame especially when so many tropical drinks include coconut rum.

I did get the BBD tee shirt that says... size does matter... on the back with a huge rum bottle lol Its always a conversation starter lol

Archived