running race during cruise

I've been searching for either a marathon or a long distance race before or during a cruise this year. We are cruising Valor(Western) 6-26-10 and want to book another cruise for this year and does anyone have some info about races at ports or islands having a race where a cruiseship stops or during our Valor cruise?

You could always try searching on active.com

I've always had good luck with searching destinations and finding out if there are any races going on while cruising. Just search each individual port you will be in.

Also...there is a cruise that is centered around running here is the link:

http://www.cruisetorun.com/caribbean/index.html

There is also a Hawaii one that I've strongly considered, but I've been told I can no longer run long distances

http://www.run-hawaii.com/

Good luck on picking something...hope this gives you a good start

• 2 weeks later...
You could always try searching on active.com

I've always had good luck with searching destinations and finding out if there are any races going on while cruising. Just search each individual port you will be in.

Also...there is a cruise that is centered around running here is the link:

http://www.cruisetorun.com/caribbean/index.html

There is also a Hawaii one that I've strongly considered, but I've been told I can no longer run long distances

http://www.run-hawaii.com/

Good luck on picking something...hope this gives you a good start

SPROUT76:

Thanks for all the running information. The cruise Run Hawaii looks like it would be great fun. We hate our weather here in Ohio and running in nice Hawaiian weather next Jan. is something I'll look into.

• 1 month later...

Honolulu Marathon is the second sunday each December. The Pride of America departs every Saturday for a 7 day around the islands cruise. This might be a nice way to spend two weeks - and the pre Christmas period in Hawaii is nice, less crowded, and less expensive. Flights are reasonable, typically.

NCL used to have ships departing on Sundays which made a post marathon cruise a perfect fit. Years ago you'd find several folks who ran the marathon in the hot tubs as the ship pulled out of port. It was the perfect reward for all that training.

• 3 weeks later...
NCL used to have ships departing on Sundays which made a post marathon cruise a perfect fit. Years ago you'd find several folks who ran the marathon in the hot tubs as the ship pulled out of port. It was the perfect reward for all that training.

Hmmmm.... we'll be running NYC Marathon next November. Now that would be an incentive to run faster knowing I had a cruise to board as soon as I finished! Will definitely check to see what cruises out of NY.

OP fantastic idea! Good luck finding a race!

There are LOTS of marathons and half-marathons in Florida from November through Feb or March. There's the Ing Miami (end of January), A1A Ft. Lauderdale (end of Feb), Palm Beach (early Dec), Space Coast in Cocoa Beach(late Nov.). There's a 13.1 in Ft. Lauderdale mid-November, PAL in Boca Raton (early Nov). These are usually run on Sunday. Very close to the ports and lots of ships to choose from.

I've always dreamed of boarding a cruise ship after a race. This could be the year!

• 6 months later...

I went on the Celebrity Century this past weekend and did an unofficial half marathon on the ship's jogging track at sunrise, which was really gorgeous. I just put a towel down next to the track with my water, Gu, and a pen/paper to tally the laps - easier than fighting your way through a water station :)

I went on the Celebrity Century this past weekend and did an unofficial half marathon on the ship's jogging track at sunrise, which was really gorgeous. I just put a towel down next to the track with my water, Gu, and a pen/paper to tally the laps - easier than fighting your way through a water station :)

That sounds great! A good time of day to do it too. I recently began running (always preferred swimming). I just did my first race, a half-marathon. I have 2 more half marathons (Feb and May), a 20 mile race (March) and a marathon (April) planned in the next 6 months. I now am part of a running group in addition to my swimming team. I am starting to think that I may be a runner too :)!

In 2008 I did the Barcelona marathon on March 2nd and then boarded the MSC Orcestra the next day for an 11 day Med cruise.

Walking down the grand staircase in the atrium in high heels 2 days after the marathon I'm sure was quite a site :o

Lois

• 5 months later...

Archived