Duty free Barcelona-boarding

hockeyken

:confused: I have seen comments here that say you can buy at the duty free shop prior to boarding in Barcelona ( it is post xray/baggage check) and easily carry it onboard with no further checks.

I have also seen comments from other cruisers who say this is NOT true....there is a second bag check prior to boarding.

OK, for those who have been through Barcelona ( RCCL specifically), which is it?

Last year I bought perfume at the duty free before boarding my plane in Barcelona. The cashier asked to see my ticket. I had no problem bringing it into the plane. If it was a problem the duty free shops could not sell anything!

We had the same experience as the above poster. We bought perfume (wanted to spend my last euros) and boarded the plane with no problems or questions. Not sure if this has changed recently tho.....we were there in Nov. 2007.

By the way.....just curious.....what would RCCL have to do with boarding in Barcelona ????

:o Ok, I apologize, I wasnt specific enough. I meant boarding the ship....I have read posts with contradictory information regarding the purchase of alcohol ( apparently the duty free is post xray/bag inspection) and getting it on the ship ( yes I know it is against RCCL rules and could be quarantined )............................and I have read other posts that claim there is a second bag check as you board the ship, and the alcohol will be confiscated and returned at the end of the trip.

My question was for those who have embarked at Barcelona......which is true........second bag check after duty free ........or not?

Thank you.

Ken

We have boarded RCI twice in Barcelona and did not have a security check after the shop on either occasion. We were not carrying any bottles but I looked especially as I had also read conflicting reports here on CC

Maybe it depends on the ship. We were on Navigator and Voyager.

You could always board the ship - look to see if any checks - then, if not, get off again - make your purchases - re-board.

Seems like a lot of bother to me but some people might find it worth it.

Weve boarded twice in Barcelona and if my memory serves me correctly there wasnt another check after the duty free shops. Ive even left the ship after boarding to buy water with no problems, might be different with alcohol. Ive also had an overnight in Barcelona and I think we had a check getting back on board the same as at any port .but Im not absolutely certain about that.

Well it looks like you are going to have another contradiction...sorry...but we did buy wine in Barcelona just prior to boarding and had to go through an x-ray and metal detector right at the gangway. I specifically remember, because although you can only bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, I bought 4 bottles because our 18 yo triplets were with us, and although they have to be 19 to purchase or drink where we are from (Toronto) you can sign a waiver when you are in the Med to allow them to consume alcohol at the age of 18. My concern was that we had not yet gone to guest relations (Obviously because we hadn't boarded yet) and I thought they may question the kids. They didn't, but we did have to go through an x-ray machine etc...But having said that, everytime you re-enter the ship, you go through an x-ray machine and metal detector. On three separate occassions we purchased alcohol and it was never taken from us. We didn't try to hide it, in fact it was bought for gifts not to consume, but never once were we asked to stow it until the end of the cruise. We bought Lemonchello in Naples, Absinthe in Santorini, and wine in Rome....None of it was taken...maybe just lucky?

Well it looks like you are going to have another contradiction...sorry...but we did buy wine in Barcelona just prior to boarding and had to go through an x-ray and metal detector right at the gangway. I specifically remember, because although you can only bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, I bought 4 bottles because our 18 yo triplets were with us, and although they have to be 19 to purchase or drink where we are from (Toronto) you can sign a waiver when you are in the Med to allow them to consume alcohol at the age of 18. My concern was that we had not yet gone to guest relations (Obviously because we hadn't boarded yet) and I thought they may question the kids. They didn't, but we did have to go through an x-ray machine etc...But having said that, everytime you re-enter the ship, you go through an x-ray machine and metal detector. On three separate occassions we purchased alcohol and it was never taken from us. We didn't try to hide it, in fact it was bought for gifts not to consume, but never once were we asked to stow it until the end of the cruise. We bought Lemonchello in Naples, Absinthe in Santorini, and wine in Rome....None of it was taken...maybe just lucky?

This doesn't sound like Royal Caribbean. Maybe you were on a different cruise line that has different procedures.

We have cruised RCI, HAL and Celebrity.

We have never gone thru an xray machine (other than the original one in the terminal) in our EMBARKATION PORT.

We go thru as posted when re-boarding the ship in port after a day of sightseeing. But even then in some ports the xray is in a secure terminal and not on the ship after you go up the gangway. Depends on the port.

But not when we first board to begin the cruise.

I have even gone thru an xray machine in a small portable camper like building that was parked on the dock near the gangway...... can't remember where that was.......

Here is my story about Barcelona.

There is a RC person standing before you enter the ship. If you purchase alcohol in the duty free you are suppose to hand it over to them. I put my purchase into my carry on bag and no one approached me and no scan after. It was just getting your photo taken.

Archived