What to give my kids if they get sea sick

nxtdoor

Babies and toddlers rarely get seasick....they are already wobbly and don't seem to be affected by motion (except to be rocked to sleep!)

For older kids, your pediatrician is the one to ask! There are children's formulas available, but their doctor should tell you what's best for kids!

depending on age it might be a good idea to have them drink some ginger ale or eat some ginger candies the first day or so of the cruise.

I got sea sick on my 1st cruise (huricain season with >40 foot waves at times) and I found that sucking on a lemon or eating lemon head candies helped me. This was unusual for waves on a cruise as many workers who had been on the ship for 6 months or more stated they had never experienced this. The purser desk had a bowl full of cyclobenzin but the ship's supply ran out after the first 3-4 days of this 7 day cruise.

My son who is now 3 1/2 has been on 2 cruises (once on the smaller NCL Majesty) and he has never had any problems, but I do try to take some ginger candies befor we go just in case.

One of the major sea sickness pills comes for children age 5. It's by weight so depending on your child's weight it is an option. Benedryl can be an option. Talk to your child's pediatrician. Mine recommended Benedryl when he was 4 and told us the dose. But bring it don't automatically give it.

I would say that somewhere between 4 and 5 if it is a particularly rough cruise is when a child may start to get sea sick. Before that it's not likely. (I'm coming up with that based on my experience with my son and my neighbors with hers.) There are also ginger candies from the health food store you could try.

depending on age it might be a good idea to have them drink some ginger ale or eat some ginger candies the first day or so of the cruise.

I got sea sick on my 1st cruise (huricain season with >40 foot waves at times) and I found that sucking on a lemon or eating lemon head candies helped me. This was unusual for waves on a cruise as many workers who had been on the ship for 6 months or more stated they had never experienced this. The purser desk had a bowl full of cyclobenzin but the ship's supply ran out after the first 3-4 days of this 7 day cruise.

My son who is now 3 1/2 has been on 2 cruises (once on the smaller NCL Majesty) and he has never had any problems' date=' but I do try to take some ginger candies befor we go just in case.[/quote']

I just want to second ginger as a remedy. It really works (and, indeed, there are well-done scientific studies that show that it is effective). If you go the ginger ale route though, make sure the ginger ale actually has ginger in it. A lot of them don't. Crystallized ginger is yummy and effective though!

DD has been cruising since she was 2 1/2 and we have only had a problem with her twice with motion sickness. One was on a high speed ferry transport from Tortuga to Virgin Gorda. There were lots of sick people on that ferry. :(

My best advice is to try the chewable Bonine JR. (They make a regular bonine but kids under 12 can not take it) If your daughter can swallow a pill there is also Dramamine. Just be sure to get the version that children can take. There are several types out there.

Also be sure to have some saltine crackers with you. You can never find them on the ship when you need them. They do help with upset tummies.

My girls are 7 & 5 and we too are taking our first cruise in May. I was also wondering what to bring "Just in Case" so I called my dr.'s office. I thought I would just be giving them something over the counter and wanted his opinion. I was shocked when the nurse called back and asked for my pharmacy number to call in a prescription! So just before we go they will call me in something for motion sickness.

Sorry I don't know what it is yet but the best bet is to check with your Dr.

Bonine and Dramamine II (Less Drowsy) have the same main ingredient as the prescription medication, Antivert (meclizine).

The difference is that the prescription meclizine and the OTC meclizine have two different indications. I know, sounds crazy... but it really isn't.

Antivert is prescribed by a doctor for the treatment of dizziness. Dizziness can be cause by several factors... stroke, high blood pressure, ear infection, sinus infection, drug-induced, etc... If you experience dizziness, it's a good idea ot get a physician to check it out.

Don't want to self-diagnose dizziness and treat it without getting to the underlying cause (if there is one)

Bonine/Dramamine II is indicated for the treatment of motion sickness.

Motion sickness is easy to self-diagnose... Y'know, get in a boat, feel sick when it rocks... yeah... you've got motion sickness.

Meclizine is safe enough and effective enough that if you find yourself getting motion sickness, it's okay to take it to treat it over-the-counter.

That being said, meclizine is available as a 12.5mg and 25mg strength by prescription. It's only available chewable and 25mg over-the-counter. THAT makes no sense to me.... but that's what the FDA said, so that's how it goes.

It's never been studied for children under a certain age... but Benadryl (which is used for allergies) has been used in the past for the treatment of motion-sickness... and that stuff used to be everything. Benylin was a cough syrup whose main ingredient used to be Benadryl (before they changed it)

If you want a pharmaceutical alternative for motion sickness... look at the Bonine for kids, if your kids are under the age of 6, look into Benadryl

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

edit:

Natural remedy is Ginger.

Ginger candy, ginger gum.

Sea-Band makes a ginger gum that you can find easily in most pharmacies

200.JPG

but ginger works.... and it's natural.

Archived