how do you manage to pack all the stuff?

nvrdunn

I am so happy I found these boards :). I have cruised with Carnival before with my husband and DS #1 before when DS was 4. Now we are braving into a Western Carribbean Cruise (Carnival again) with our 7 month old (well he will be 7 months in May when we go). I have read through all the lists of stuff to bring, made a list of my own, and now just wonder how I will get all the stuff onto the ship and shlepping all the stuff off the ship as well at ports.

HELP! Thanks

I am so happy I found these boards :). I have cruised with Carnival before with my husband and DS #1 before when DS was 4. Now we are braving into a Western Carribbean Cruise (Carnival again) with our 7 month old (well he will be 7 months in May when we go). I have read through all the lists of stuff to bring, made a list of my own, and now just wonder how I will get all the stuff onto the ship and shlepping all the stuff off the ship as well at ports.

HELP! Thanks

Ignore about 90% of the "packing lists". You know your family. You know what makes you happy. Set aside those absolutely essential things that you know your family must have to be happy on the trip, and ignore the rest.

3 days before you leave for your cruise, lay out all the clothes and "stuff" you think you ABSOLUTELY NEED. Put half of it back in the closet.

2 days before you leave for your cruise, look at what's left. Put back another 10% of it.

1 day before your cruise, check again. Are you sure you have just what you'll REALLY need, and not a bunch of stuff packed "just in case"? If so, then you'll probably be close to what will really get you through your vacation, so pack, already!

For me, "must have's" include a power strip (I have to plug in a power wheelchair), duct tape (which I've found useful for lots of purposes), a highlighter pen, a hair brush. For my husband, a particular brand of dental floss. And a small travel alarm clock.

We (husband and I) generally travel with one large suitcase for both of us, and each has a carry-on. We could do without one of the carry-ons if I didn't have to drag along a bunch of medicine and wheelchair parts (I use a wheelchair). That's gotten us through everything from a 7 day cruise to 6 weeks in the Philippines. So I know it can be done.

Bring a lightweight umbrella type stroller that also has a basket underneath for port. We have a Chicco umbrella stroller that has a nice, big sun shade on it and the basket underneath. It was great for carrying diapers, wipes, sippy cups, snacks, etc. The sun shade was great for keeping her out of the sun and allowing her to nap. We would just pull it really far down and she napped really well in there. It was not difficult to get it off the ship even when we had to tender into port.

You may have to be a bit creative in packing everything if you're flying. We were fortunate to live 6 hours from the port, so we drove and had an extra bag just for all of the baby supplies. I hope others will have some advice on that for you. Have a great cruise!

Once you get the stuff TO the ship, the porters will lug it onboard for you.....only carry on that which you'll need for the next several hours....diapers, wipes, etc....

If you're breastfeeding, you'll not need to worry with formula or milk.....that's the handiest way!

This will be my first trip with my now 3 1/2yo DS without the need for diapers and baby food (he has a sensory intigration problem and we had to feed him applesause or baby food with every meal to assist in chewing). I know what a hassle it is, but have seen diapers priced as high as $3 for just 2 diapers in the carribian ports. And baby food is quite heavy (I breast fed so didn't have to worry about formula). Check with your cruiseline to see if they can provide baby food to you or if you can get them to puree items on the menue (saw somewhere that you can pre-plan with the cruiseline and have babyfood delivered to your room)

If you have time at your port of embarkation you might want to just bring an empty duffle bag and then stop at a local 'Mart and buy the needed items for your baby's input and export. Then when you get to the port hand the bag off to the porters to go to your room. Make sure to have enough stuff in carry-on to last till your bags get to your room.

I definitely agree with the stroller (or if you are a baby wearer you could use a sling). Watch that she or he doesn't get too hot.

Bring sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, & sunscreen (some cans can be placed into shoes for travel). Apply it in the morning before leaving the room and then frequently throughout the day.

Make sure to have any baby medication with you that you might need and posibbly check with pediatrician about their reccomendations.

diapers do shove into shoes or other items (space bags definitely decrease the space but not the weight)

Are you flying? If not then it is a lot easier b/c you just pack everything into the car and the porters will lug it out for you and it will just show up outside your door cabin door. The only thing we "lugged" ourselves was the diaper bag that we always take on outings. If you are flying then the best thing is to stop and pick up diapers/wipes/baby formula and food at the store between the airport and the port. Most car sevices will wait for you to do this (for a fee). I disagree a little bit with the above poster who suggests you packe very light and don't take what you "might need." Traveling with a little one is a little unpredictable and if you are caught without a baby product chances are you won't be able to get it on board or easily in one of the ports. You should try to take not if your ship will have a laundry. You can get away with packing a lot less back up baby clothes if you know you have an easy place to wash them beyond the bathroom sink.

Have a great cruise

Now we haven't traveled yet, but I'm dealing with this too under almost the exact same circumstances. We first cruised when our oldest was 4 and are going on another this June when she will be 7 and our baby will be 6 months old.

Last time dh and I each had a large bag and dd had a small one (all rolling uprights). And we each had a backpack as a carry-on. Going to do the same this time-only going to give dd a slightly larger bag this time so I can put ds's diapers in with her clothes. It is going to be bigger than the 18 inch she had the first time, but not over 22 inches so she can pull it herself. Dh lets us off at the curb at the airport so she won't have to pull it far.

I'm going to use the small rolling bag dd used the last time as an extra carry-on for ds's other essentials likes wipes, formula (I nurse but ds gets 2 bottles of formula each day), more diapers, cereal, and a small diaper bag for outtings. I wasn't planning on starting ds on other solids (fruit, veggies) until 6 months so I'm just going to wait until we get back.

I have a duffle bag that is insulated that I used as a cooler when we went to the lake last summer and I am going to use that for my carry-on so it will hold juice boxes, bottled water and some other stuff on beach days. For the plane trip, I'll have other stuff in there like two days worth of diapers, pacifiers, receiving blankets, extra clothes for ds, an extra shirt for me, medications and my carrier after I remove ds from it so we can go through security. I'm going to wear him when I have the luggage and I need both my hands and I picked out a lightweight stroller with a shoulder strap so we don't always need the elevator and I don't have to worry about the misery of pushing a stroller over sand. I was so glad dd's stroller had a shoulder strap. DD and I will be wearing crocs at the airport and have our light jackets in our carry-ons to make it easier to go through security. Going to put ds in a short sleeved onesie and some thin pants with feet in them.

We'll be hoping for the best when it comes to dh. No matter what he always seems to have a security issue. Either he leaves a boat load of change in his pocket or wears shoes with metal on them or something. Last time he wore an outfit where his shirt looked like a jacket and they made him remove it. Thankfully he had an undershirt on, but I felt so bad for him anyway.

Since a lot of the stuff we take won't be coming back, there'll be room for any souvenirs. One other thing we do (that others may not want to do) is skip formal dining so we can leave the dressy clothes at home. It's a lot to think about and while I may pack relatively light for myself, small children and babies especially need a lot of stuff. And while I love cruising it is a situation in which if you don't have something you either can't get it or you'll spend a small fortune getting it if you can.

Fortunately this is a group trip we are taking with some people from our church. We'll be on the same flight with my children's Godparents and their teenagers so there will be help there if we need it, but I'm hoping not to. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I know no one likes the thought of doing laundry on the ship but remember most Carnival ships have laundry rooms! This can save you a ton on packing. The things I would be most concerned about are having enough diapers, wipes, any baby food, any baby meds, formula, small bottle of soap to wash out bottles and a small bottle drying rack! IFyou run out of sunscreen you can always buy more on the islands. It might cost you $2-3 more but it will save you some weight in your bag. :)

We flew in a day early and went shopping at the Target near our hotel. We bought all the things there that would be used in a week-diapers, food/snacks, juice/milk(Horizon in the boxes)/water. We had packed a duffle bag by folding it flat in one of the suitcases. We stuffed the bag full of that stuff and put a luggage tag on there. Most of the things we purchased were used during the cruise. We folded the duffle back in the suitcase along with the few extras we had and flew home with the two bags we came with.

We went on several cruises when our kids were in diapers. We packed a box with diapers and formula, taped a luggage tag on it, porters took it to the stateroom for us. Since this was before airline per-bag fees, I like the poster's recommendation about stocking up once you get to port -- IF you are not cutting your air arrival close to ship departure time. I thoroughly agree with the poster who advocated editing -- resist all the "just in case" stuff. It's OK to improvise and to wear the same thing twice on a trip. We traveled through Israel and Italy for three weeks - two kids, two parents -- carry on only, several loads of laundry. Will do the same on our upcoming cruise. You'll have fun whatever you take.

Hello,

There are some great suggestions on this thread. I also had took my 7 month old last sept and here are my 2 cents - there might be a few repeats. But I hope it helps you. I learnt alot from the experience :)

* Shoulder strap on stroller was a lifesaver.

* DS also had just started getting into cereal and not completely into solids so i brought a box (18pks of step 2 foods) with me. The MDR provided applesauce. They may have provided other things, but I felt safer using the foods he was already familiar with.

* 3 bottles (50% nursing, 50% formula) + small soap bottle, drying rack (i had a collasible one for $3), bottle brush and paper towels

* Ziplock bag with 2 baby food spoons, 2 bibs and paper towels to take to MDR. I'd throw in a food pack every evening.

* It gets VERY hot, so i bought a mesh UV cover that covers over the entire stroller. DS gets distracted easily, it was the only way he would sleep.

* A few Pedialyte bottles (used in place of water when mixing with formula). Cozumel was HUMID and although DS wasn't complaining, he was perspiring alot. Need to replenish the electrolytes

* Bulb syringe, nasal drops (tissues on board), basic meds. DS was fine when boarding. But from all the exposure to the AC rooms and then the shore excursions, he developed a cold that was really bothering him.

* Pack the diapers in a plastic bag and then line them in the front pockets of your suitcase - not as instrusive as being in your suitcase taking up lots of room.

* Plan for 3 outfits a day (including what they'll wear to bed) for 8 days (the spare day is for any accidents etc).

* I did do laundry. It was not a big deal. Put the clothes in, go to the gym, come back, its done. Research your deck plan and find where the laundry is located. Sometimes the laundry that is one deck down/up is closer than on your own deck. I did laundry once and it was actually a stress relief knowing that DS is all set with plenty of clothes in case of accidents.

* 1 tub of wipes + a portable wipes case. I'm a neat freak so i was constantly wiping DS's hands if he touched "potential high germ" objects like banisters etc.

* over the door organizer was great. All of DS's spare diapers (not much counter space), toys etc was visible and it was one less thing to think about. You'll be preoccupied with the kids that using energy to look for the highlighter or mp3 player will no longer be required

* Ziplock bag of DS cereal (didnt bring a box)

* pack soft toys is possible (they can get squished in without breaking)

* LANYARDS!!! My biggest trick was fabric lanyards. I had so many things attached to his stroller - pacifer, teether, a toy.. all strategically placed to that if DS drops them, it don't land on the ground. Plus you won't want to lose a favourite toy. I'd even transfer the lanyard/ teether to his high chair during dinner in case he was done eating etc.

And just a little background if it helps you. We flew in from CT the day of. So we had packed food, diapers, everything from home and didn't go to a local store. We bought 7 water bottles at the pier (i wasn't sure if the ship water would suit the baby) for his formula. It was more than enough.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. I was in the same position as you so don't be shy :)

cheers and good luck,

Ash

Great tips everyone!

I have a question to add though. I have a 9 month old son and we plan on bringing our pack n play instead of using the ships crib just because we know it's clean and he is used to it. However, do you give this to the curbside porters or do you carry it on. Should I worry about it getting stolen since they just place your luggage outside your room at random times throughout the day. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

Thanks in advance!

Mandy

Great tips everyone!

I have a question to add though. I have a 9 month old son and we plan on bringing our pack n play instead of using the ships crib just because we know it's clean and he is used to it. However, do you give this to the curbside porters or do you carry it on. Should I worry about it getting stolen since they just place your luggage outside your room at random times throughout the day. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

Thanks in advance!

Mandy

My advice would be to get a coverplay and leave your pack n play at home. Its $50, but was worth it. It was one less thing to carry and it slipped on over the ship's travel crib. http://www.coverplayard.com

You can fit a ton of diapers in the outside pockets of luggage (and it's a great place to put something so non-breakable). I travel with twins and have been able to stuff a week's worth in our outer pockets - thereby not using up any room inside the suitcase. (Though, when driving to the port, I did as others have already suggested - just stick a luggage tag on a box of diapers and give it to the porters. Did the same thing with a bathtub and 2 bouncie chairs on our first cruise).

Best,

Mia

For me, "must have's" include a power strip (I have to plug in a power wheelchair), duct tape (which I've found useful for lots of purposes), a highlighter pen, a hair brush.

Got the power strip but I'm curious as to what you used duct tape and the highlighter for? We leave on Saturday so I'm gathering "things" now.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We are flying in from CA on Saturday afternoon and will hit a store the night or the morning before we get on the ship. I am one who always does laundry on a trip so I dont have to do laundry when I get home. (So normally I am doing laundry the last sea day). I will keep checking back on what I should bring or do. We are looking forward to our trip. Thank you!

Essentials: Highlighter, Duct Tape, and a Sharpie. The highlighter is to mark the daily list of activities, the duct tape is to improvise any number of attachments and repairs that you may need, and the sharpie is to mark things like your room keys (his, hers, kids (our kids don't get room charge privlidges, and I have picked up the wrong key by mistake). Lanyards are very helpful for room keys.

Really pack just what is needed, if you happen to forget something..don't forget they have a lot of essentials on ship (yes more expensive, but its good to know).

While in port, you shouldn't need much if you just do a shopping or beach excursion. And your stroller will be able to hold everything down in the storage bin. and be able to hold the diaper bag on the back.

So you will be better off than people with no stroller having to carry things :)

• 1 year later...

A must for me is a travel pack (or two) of Clorox wipes. I'm going to be wiping down every bit of that pack and play (and remotes, table tops, and bathtub). I would hate to end up in a cabin that someone had the norovirus in on the previous cruise. ; )

..don't forget they have a lot of essentials on ship

Just want to warn about this - don't ever expect even the most basic essentials to be in the gift shop on board. Even on the first day they can be out of things you think would absolutely be in the gift shop (batteries, toothpaste, tylenol, etc.) because they ran out on the prior cruise and didn't get a new shipment in. I learned this the really hard way once.

Best,

Mia

We chose a port that we could drive to for our sons first cruise.

We over packed so much that when we got to Canaveral, we shipped stuff home (toys & clothes).

I did not need the powdered pedialyte, but I felt better having it - ditto the rest of the OTC's.

Quarters & laundry singles. We did laundry while my son napped - twice.

Another thing about expecting the ship to have emergency supplies - that could mean size 2 diapers for your size 6 toddler...

And even if they have it in stock, it may be really expensive or the wrong strength. I was reminded of that when I realized that I forgot to bring the childrens Benedryl that I bought for the trip and then I actually needed it. I was not happy to fork over $12 for the adult Benedryl for our 5 yr old. I always take along a well stocked first aid kit (except for the time that I forgot it.) I also usually include a thermometer and a baby book with a good infant illness chapter when they were really young.

You don't need to bring a lot of toys, we brought whatever would fit into a ziplock bag plus a stuffie. There are lots of places to explore and new things to see on a ship to keep them occupied. I focused on small toys that could keep them occupied at meal times.

If you are flying with diapers, it is better to leave them compressed in the original packaging then to take them out and stuff them into corners of your suitcase.

Regarding clothes, when my kids were really young, I laid out the clothes for each day and took half as much again as a back up. I would take less if there is laundry on board. Now that they are older, (7 & 11) we take only carry ons for a one week cruise including dressier clothes. The trip is so much more enjoyable when you aren't lugging around so much stuff.

My advice would be to pack all the necessary gear and drug store items, and about half the clothing you'll think you'll need for everyone. Then just budget for sending out the laundry once or twice throughout the week. Given what the airlines are charging, and what your chiropractor bill may be to repair damage done to your back after toting it all, you may come out ahead. I know some people are overly particular in which detergents they use on their kids' clothing, but it'd be the same detergent that the ship would use on the towels and linens and it's been my experience it's pretty mild (my son has eczema issues and we haven't had a problem and do this routinely).

We use a few ziplocs as well. But I'd caution about using them...you can get more stuff in the suitcase itself, but if you're flying, it will most likely be over the 50 pound limit. I like using the big ziplocs for transporting whatever leftover dirty laundry we have home in them, sealed nice and tight.

Archived