best authentic eateries in Mahahual

pisces1

Leaving for our cruise shortly, and we plan on just winging it in Costa Maya and taking a taxi to Mahahual. Have seen that many new "touristy" places have opened up, but was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on where to dine on some wonderful authentic Mexican cuisine. Fresh seafood, tortillas, ceviche, would be great.

Leaving for our cruise shortly, and we plan on just winging it in Costa Maya and taking a taxi to Mahahual. Have seen that many new "touristy" places have opened up, but was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on where to dine on some wonderful authentic Mexican cuisine. Fresh seafood, tortillas, ceviche, would be great.

100% Agave. It's in the Mahahual village, one block over from the malecon just north of the soccer field, 1/2 block south of the first taxi stop, on your left. You can't miss it. Big tequila bottle out front, thatched roof courtyard seating. Great seafood, lechon tacos (slow roasted suckling pig), fiery red salsa, homemade chips, they serve Leon and Montereno (ms) beers which are regional beers not generally available in a lot of tourist resorts. Prices are in pesos. Fernando's tequila is excellent, no lime or salt needed. Just tell him crewsweeper said hi!:) and needs another bottle:D:D.

And if you just want to stay on the beach, walk south on the malecon toward Pz Quadro (Aframed looking tiki place) and there's a tapas bar, yellow building open front right before PQ. Really nice little dishes. and you can eat on the beach.

100% Agave. It's in the Mahahual village, one block over from the malecon just north of the soccer field, 1/2 block south of the first taxi stop, on your left. You can't miss it. Big tequila bottle out front, thatched roof courtyard seating. Great seafood, lechon tacos (slow roasted suckling pig), fiery red salsa, homemade chips, they serve Leon and Montereno (ms) beers which are regional beers not generally available in a lot of tourist resorts. Prices are in pesos. Fernando's tequila is excellent, no lime or salt needed. Just tell him crewsweeper said hi!:) and needs another bottle:D:D.

And if you just want to stay on the beach, walk south on the malecon toward Pz Quadro (Aframed looking tiki place) and there's a tapas bar, yellow building open front right before PQ. Really nice little dishes. and you can eat on the beach.

The more you talk about 100% Agave, the more excited I get. :) but just realized...can I pay with US$? Or does it have to be in pesos? if so I'll have to exchange a little before we go but I know most places accept US$. Thanks!

The more you talk about 100% Agave, the more excited I get. :) but just realized...can I pay with US$? Or does it have to be in pesos? if so I'll have to exchange a little before we go but I know most places accept US$. Thanks!

They accept US$. Assume a 10:1 exchange rate. So if a price is in peso at $12 it's US$1.20.

I don't know about credit cards. Best to try to get cash from the pursers/guest service desk. Also you'll need cash for the taxi. US$3 pp into Mahahual, US$2 pp return to port.

Thanks crewsweeper, saw some other suggestions of this place on other web-sites, but was a bit skeptical since they were one note posters.

Well, I can't speak for too many other spots on Mahahual. Lots of cruisers like the more familar dishes they see back home in Mexican restuarants. And there may be a good taco stand further down the malecon. I thought the Tapas place had nice looking dishes and good aroma when I went by. But I heard about 100% Agave from divers who were taken there by locals, and kept coming back. Good enough for me to try. And I liked it. May not be your tamale. But I'm the sort of person that likes to go away from the major tourist places where ever I go. So in Cozumel, for example, you'll find me at Pescarderia San Carlos or Especias instead of Panchos BackYard.

They accept US$. Assume a 10:1 exchange rate. So if a price is in peso at $12 it's US$1.20.

I don't know about credit cards. Best to try to get cash from the pursers/guest service desk. Also you'll need cash for the taxi. US$3 pp into Mahahual, US$2 pp return to port.

thanks! we'll definitely be using cash so don't have to worry about a credit card at all.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who have ever been to Playa Del Carmen and had the Shrimp or salmon tacos and other seafood at El Oasis, you'll be sad to know it's now closed, so I recently heard. However, Jaime from Oasis has recently moved to Mahahual. Trying to find out which place he is at or the name of the place he's starting. Yummmm!! More good eats for Costa Maya:)

We will have to try 100% Agave next time.

Our last two trips, we ate the 'whole' fried fish at el Delphin. Plenty for two people. Good guac, rice, beans, side of tortillas, pico de gallo, chips, cold beers and great margaritas (wife's favorite beach drink.) All served at a table on the sand with shade from an umbrella and the palms.

We were in Costa Maya on 3/23/10. After our Native Choice tour we went to 100% Agave. We don't drink, so maybe the drinks are great but don't go based on the food. The food was carried from across the street - we had chips and guac (the guac was the only good thing). The chips were out of a bag - we saw the bag. We had fish tacos and beef tacos - nothing special. We do like to eat at authentic Mexican places. It had a fun atmosphere but that was it. Food was not good at all. If anyone's eaten at Gordo's in Cabo - that was what we were hoping for. Oh well!

We were in Costa Maya on 3/23/10. After our Native Choice tour we went to 100% Agave. We don't drink, so maybe the drinks are great but don't go based on the food. The food was carried from across the street - we had chips and guac (the guac was the only good thing). The chips were out of a bag - we saw the bag. We had fish tacos and beef tacos - nothing special. We do like to eat at authentic Mexican places. It had a fun atmosphere but that was it. Food was not good at all. If anyone's eaten at Gordo's in Cabo - that was what we were hoping for. Oh well!

Sorry you didn't enjoy your meal there. Maybe Fernando should get a Meatball to greet you.:). At least you weren't on rickety seats. The kitchen is across the street though.

We just returned from Costa Maya and caught a bus down to the Majahual beach area. We could see our ship from the beach, and we loved it. It was just what we were looking for with lots of lounge chairs, umbrellas, jet ski rentals, local shopping and great food/drinks. Make sure you go see Mica and Douglas at La Mica Loca. Everyone know's them. Mica is from Italy and is a awesome cook. They have great food and the cheapest beer prices. Leon beer, which is EXCELLENT, is only $1.50 each. We couldn't find it for that price anywhere else. Check them out, and tell them Clayton and Mary say hello. Here's some photos from our trip:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2802942270078933201eqIuKv (La Mica Loca)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/577190859hAnEDz?start=0

Was in CM during February and had read many good things about Fernando and the food from others here on CC. (Thanks Crewsweeper ;) )

Walked around the malecon for awhile and then on over to 100% Agave (one short block off the beach from the main taxi dropoff). Tall thin gentleman met us at the entrance and I asked him if he was Don Fernando. He laughed and said "no, that's my brother who is in Africa"! When I convinced him I was not collecting on a past debt, he shook my hand vigorously and yes, he was Fernando. He seated us at a corner table and sat down to get our order. I explained that we had come to his place due to the great things we had heard from CC and he just beamed. He was so thankful and told us that many visitors were telling him the same thing. I said I was anxious to try one of his best tequilas, and he left for a few minutes and returned with what looked like a half gallon of freshly made (she watched him cut the mellon and squeeze the limes) watermellon margarita for my DW and "several Texas" size shot glasses of four different tequilas for he and I. While we waited for the drinks, they brought chips and a variety of four different salsas with warnings to beware of the one that was "liquid fire" for gringos. A few minutes later, we were served a plate of fried plantains and a hugh bowl of guacamole and more chips and some small botanas of grilled meats. (By the way, we didn't ask for any of the appetizers other than the guac!) Fernando then made several suggestions for lunch and we went with the fresh "white fish cerviche" (OMG), curried shrimp and fish with mexican rice, and the fresh catch he suggested whad just caught. The fish was so large enough that four more people could have joined us. In the meantime, we each had several of the local beers and needless to say were stuffed and ready for a nap. Believe me, it was some of the best and freshest food I have ever eaten and the service was excellent from all of Fernando's staff.

But the biggest surprise was yet to come. The waiter brought our "cuenta" and I walked over to the bar to discuss it with Fernando thinking there had been a mistake made. After the huge margarita, the tequila shots, the beers, five appetizers, the huge bowl of guac and the three separate courses of fresh seafood, our bill was $24 US. Fernando very graciously explained that the bill was correct and he thanked us several times for giving 100% Agave a try. There is no question that we will make it a point to return there every time we go to CM. (I just hope there will be room for us when we return due to all of the people I have told about 100% Agave.)

BTW, he can do credit cards, but there is a small fee added and he personally handles the transaction to ensure the correct amounts are charged.

Give him a try... you won't be disappointed.

We just returned from Costa Maya and caught a bus down to the Majahual beach area. We could see our ship from the beach, and we loved it. It was just what we were looking for with lots of lounge chairs, umbrellas, jet ski rentals, local shopping and great food/drinks. Make sure you go see Mica and Douglas at La Mica Loca. Everyone know's them. Mica is from Italy and is a awesome cook. They have great food and the cheapest beer prices. Leon beer, which is EXCELLENT, is only $1.50 each. We couldn't find it for that price anywhere else. Check them out, and tell them Clayton and Mary say hello. Here's some photos from our trip:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2802942270078933201eqIuKv (La Mica Loca)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/577190859hAnEDz?start=0

OMG!! Mick Dundee is alive and well in Mahahual!! Thanks mfinn for the La Mica Loca review! Nice to see that the village is experiencing some growth in local food establishments. I doubt it'll ever be up to the level of Progresso or even the Mexican Rivera, but I love the robustness of many local eateries to chose from versus the cookie cutter corporate places.

poppajoe, glad you and your DW had a good meal and experience at 100% Agave.

Others...I'm still trying to find out which place Jaimie from Oasis in Playa Del Carmen went to. There'll be some great fish there.

We were at Pez Quadro about 2 weeks ago. You know you're at a good spot when half the ship's crew and staff are there. :) We just had guac and chips but the food looked amazing. Nice bar/restaurant, great beach. Outstanding massage for $20 for an hour.

• 5 months later...
...but I love the robustness of many local eateries to chose from versus the cookie cutter corporate places.

Others...I'm still trying to find out which place Jaimie from Oasis in Playa Del Carmen went to. There'll be some great fish there.

Thanks for all your info! My DH and I live in Central FL so are definitely tired of the tourist traps and try to avoid the "coodkie cutter" establishments. We are going in Oct 2010 so are excited to try your recommendations.

One question no one seems to ask - how far of a walk is it from the port to the Malecon or someplace like %100 Agave? If we are in relatively good shape then is it necessary to get a cab? How many miles is it from the port to the far end of Mahahual? Are cabs preferable because of any safety issues?

Thanks for your input!

OMG!! Mick Dundee is alive and well in Mahahual!! Thanks mfinn for the La Mica Loca review! Nice to see that the village is experiencing some growth in local food establishments. I doubt it'll ever be up to the level of Progresso or even the Mexican Rivera, but I love the robustness of many local eateries to chose from versus the cookie cutter corporate places.

poppajoe, glad you and your DW had a good meal and experience at 100% Agave.

Jaime is at Nohoc Kay at the end of the Malecon.

One question no one seems to ask - how far of a walk is it from the port to the Malecon or someplace like %100 Agave? If we are in relatively good shape then is it necessary to get a cab? How many miles is it from the port to the far end of Mahahual? Are cabs preferable because of any safety issues?

Thanks for your input!

Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=897798&highlight=walk+majahual

Cabs are not a safety issue, but a 'comfort' issue. (Think heat and humidity.) ☺ ☺

Thanks for your input!

I walked it once. It's of course hot and not especially scenic. A mile or two, easily doable for anyone in shape. Basically you go inland (west) from the port, left (south), left (east) to the water, right (south) to the village. Big roads the whole way. Safety not an issue so far as I could tell.

I walked it once. It's of course hot and not especially scenic. A mile or two, easily doable for anyone in shape. Basically you go inland (west) from the port, left (south), left (east) to the water, right (south) to the village. Big roads the whole way. Safety not an issue so far as I could tell.

Thanks for the input. A couple years ago in Nassau we got ripped off taking a taxi for what amounted to a 15 minute stroll back to port. Of course back then I wasn't aware of CC. :) Just didn't want to make the same mistake again!

• 4 weeks later...

I was fortunate to have found 100% Agave while searching Majahual on these boards. I was just there 10/4/2010 to celebrate my 65th birthday, from Norwegian Epic. I met Fernando when I walked in and introduced myself to him. When I told him I was there to celebrate my 65th birthday and that I had found his place on the blogs, a broad smile came across his face. I was treated like absolute royalty. The food was fantastic, the ceviche and the foil wrapped grouper, the tequila wonderful and flowing and the plastic bottle got it back on the ship with no problem. Thank you Fernando.

Archived