Tipping for Room Service

Thanks for the menu post. We were planning on just a couple of eggs and bacon, can you not order that for breakfast? I guess I could do fruit instead.

No, that is the complete menu, but we often ordered a BLT for breakfast. Also, depending on your cabin location, going to the lido deck and then bringing back to your cabin is always an option.

One time I ran out of dollar bills and the room service person told me to write on the slip you have to sign how much I wanted to tip and they would put it on my S & S card.

We have done this many times-added a tip to our S&S card by putting amount on the slip of paper we sign. Always seems to make it to our final bill!

Pat

Just out of curiosity why are you penalizing the server if you order during a busy time? The server is not the one who determines how long you need to wait. Usually, when an order is called in, you are given a time by the person taking the order. It doesn't seem fair to cheat the server because the food isn't ready for him/her to deliver.

If you look at the menu again, you will see it says bar service is available at regular prices. Beer if NOT free. You can order a drink before dinner, but you may have to wait longer than if you went to a bar to get it. The same goes for your drink before bed. You'll be back again to determining the size of the tip and what I wrote above would stand with this too, lol.

Sorry, I was meaning 15 and 30 minutes from the time they say when I called it in, not from my moment I called.

and for the Beer or drink, the tip is included, so I would tip the $2.00 for having to walk it to my room.

No, that is the complete menu, but we often ordered a BLT for breakfast. Also, depending on your cabin location, going to the lido deck and then bringing back to your cabin is always an option.

BLT for breakfast sounds wonderful! Can you order any of the rooms service menu at any time - like if you wanted cereal in the afternoon or the ;)creamy tuna salad for breakfast? Thanks!

I highly recommend getting a room close to the buffet instead of doing room service for breakfast. I love room service late at night, but in the AM I want to eat when I get up and the 30 second walk is worth it and I just bring it back to the cabin.

I order room service every morning. He's my alarm clock. I order for 6:00am because I usually am up around that time and just in case I'm not they would wake me. I only turn the bathroom light on (so as not to wake everyone else up) to get the tray and tip 2.00. I then go out on our balcony in my pj's with my coffee and danish and enjoy seeing us pull into port.

Life doesn't get any better than that.

We usually order danishes,croissants,salmon,coffee and chocolate milks.

With it usually being four of us in room (Me DH and DD'S) it takes a long time for all of us to get ready in the morning so this is nice to hold everyone over until we go for breakfast. And I have to have my coffee first thing. Also make sure you write how many you want of each item next to all the items you want or they just bring 1 of each. I write a story practically on those slips LOL from what type of danishes that we like to how many reg sugars and half and halfs. I also have run out of ones and they just had me sign the slip with the amount tip to charge to S&S card.

I use the room service "wake up call" too! It's nice to get ready and have a nice hot tea (don't do coffee) and danish to start your day. I also order extra milk and cereal for our 3-year-old.

The cereal comes in the single serving boxes, which I take into port with us for her to snack on if she gets the munchies. The milk I like to keep on hand in our fridge for when she wants.

By the way - if you plan on ordering cereal from room service to eat for breakfast in the morning, you will also need to place an order for milk. Otherwise, all you'll get is the dry cereal, no milk. :rolleyes:

BLT for breakfast sounds wonderful! Can you order any of the rooms service menu at any time - like if you wanted cereal in the afternoon or the ;)creamy tuna salad for breakfast? Thanks!

I'm not a big "breakfast type" food person. So a couple BLT's in the morning really hit the spot! :)

As far as I know the only limitation is no bar service between 3am-9am.

Do the people bringing the food work for tips? Or do they get a normal wage? Carnival is charging us a standard tip per person per day, what is this for?

Interesting question. I'm not sure how the room service staff participate in the auto-tips. The $1 portion states it is for "kitchen and hotel service staff". I assume they are part of the "hotel service staff". In any event, it is customary to tip them. Even if they did receive part of the $1 portion, it would not be much because it would be split with the buffet staff and others.

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

NOTE: BARBADOS CRUISES

All gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process for Barbados itineraries.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

I always bring $100.00 in one dollar bills on board for tips. Three dollars for room service is what I give. I use the rest for whoever provides great service. We gave our waitstaff $40.00 (twenties by the way) on our last cruise. They were fanstastic!

On prior cruises we have never used room service.

Last month's cruise was an entirely different story. Took my mother and brother. I bet room service was at our cabin 4x/day. They tipped a few bucks everytime..I don't know how much. But I will say the chocolate cake was to die for!!

We order AM coffee using the door hanger form. I put 2 singles on the dresser when I hang the card on the door. That morning coffee is also our wake up call. so when the knock comes, I get out of bed, throw on my robe, pick up the 2 bucks and open the door. I hold the 2 bucks in front of the servers eyes so he cannot see my morning apparition and run off screaming down the hall, WITH MY COFFEE!:D

Archived