Taxes and Fees decrease - should I care?

gargoyle999

I booked a cruise end of 2008 on the Spirit sailing April 11th. I just took a look at my modify booking info and see the taxes and fees are listed as $157.18. But if I go and do a "fake booking" the taxes and fees are listed as $116.16.

It's after final payment of course. Any chance I can get that difference back? If taxes and fees have gone down I would think Carnival shouldn't be collecting above that amount?

It's a fair question (or a fare question) to ask. I have noticed the taxes and fees change fairly often too. I'm a bit suspicious as the tax laws don't change all that often, as far as I know.

They are supposed to collect money if the taxes go up, but I don't hear people complaing about that. So maybe they don't refund overpayments to make up for the fact that they don't collect underpayments.

So I just noticed on another cruise I have, this one in Nov, the taxes were $117.16 when I booked but are now $107.50. This one I have booked directly with Carnival (other is with TA) so I called them.

First she tells me they can't adj them. Then goes off to check. Comes back and says the system won't allow them to adjust the taxes but a couple days before sailing it will be automatically adjusted and any decrease will be given as OBC.

I asked what happens if the taxes go up, will I have to pay more. She says no I would not have to pay more.

Has anyone been given OBC for a reduction in taxes? I didn't think so.

Guess I'll take the advise I've read so many times here, don't like the answer you get, call back until you get the one you want. :rolleyes:

So I just noticed on another cruise I have, this one in Nov, the taxes were $117.16 when I booked but are now $107.50. This one I have booked directly with Carnival (other is with TA) so I called them.

First she tells me they can't adj them. Then goes off to check. Comes back and says the system won't allow them to adjust the taxes but a couple days before sailing it will be automatically adjusted and any decrease will be given as OBC.

I asked what happens if the taxes go up, will I have to pay more. She says no I would not have to pay more.

Guess I'll take the advise I've read so many times here, don't like the answer you get, call back until you get the one you want. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard of anyone getting OBC for reduction in taxes either.

The answer would be yes it would be credited to your S&S account. On two of my last three Carnival sailings we have seen a credit in the section called Less Refundable Onboard Credits Applied. This last sailing it was in the amount of $3.16 per person.

Dave

I got it as OBC last month. I had a $16+ credit show up on each person's account, and I had no idea where it came from. Obviously, I wasn't going to complain, but I was at guest services one day asking about something else, and decided to just ask. They looked it up and said it was a tax reduction.

The answer would be yes it would be credited to your S&S account. On two of my last three Carnival sailings we have seen a credit in the section called Less Refundable Onboard Credits Applied. This last sailing it was in the amount of $3.16 per person.

Dave

Nice to know. Never heard about it, or seen it before.

I have noticed charges for increased taxes on our S&S bill, and I have noticed credits a month or two after on our S&S credit card statement. It's always small amounts and I assumed it was tax adjustments or some other issue correcting itself.

I booked a cruise end of 2008 on the Spirit sailing April 11th. I just took a look at my modify booking info and see the taxes and fees are listed as $157.18. But if I go and do a "fake booking" the taxes and fees are listed as $116.16.

It's after final payment of course. Any chance I can get that difference back? If taxes and fees have gone down I would think Carnival shouldn't be collecting above that amount?

these will be settled at (or the week prior to) sailing. The Price drops only apply to cruisefare. ken

Just got off the Fantasy on March 4th. We received a credit on our S & S card for $19.50 due to tax decrease. In my precruise papers I printed out there was a section that stated that if there was a decrease in taxes it would be applied to your S & S card.

I stand corrected then! :o

Hopefully I have a $41.02 OBC waiting for me next month (and taxes don't go up in the next 4 weeks)! I emailed my TA about it last night since my cruise next month is with him. It will be interesting to see what answer I get from him. ;)

gargoyle - this will be settled the week prior to sailing or at sailing on your S&S account. ken

Iv heard some people got a mysterious credit to their onboard account and people think it might have been a decrease in fees and taxes.

People havent had much luck getting it before they leave.

From all the posts here and elsewhere sounds like you can only get it once onboard..?

Maybe the reason for waiting is the taxes and fees change often enough, they dont want to give a refund, only to have them go back up again before the cruise leaves. If they go up then they charge you on your S&S.

We also had an OBC for the change on taxes. I think it was about $6 per person. I wonder why the taxes vary so much. :confused: Sometimes you can price a cruise one day and the taxes are X, two days later, Y, and so on.

I remember someone posted an email reply from Carnival that stated if the taxes decreased you would receive an OBC and if they went up you would not be charged more. Seems strange to me that would be the case.

We also had an OBC for the change on taxes. I think it was about $6 per person. I wonder why the taxes vary so much. :confused: Sometimes you can price a cruise one day and the taxes are X, two days later, Y, and so on.

I remember someone posted an email reply from Carnival that stated if the taxes decreased you would receive an OBC and if they went up you would not be charged more. Seems strange to me that would be the case.

Id like to see this then, as I had been told just the opposite, that I WOULD be charged, if I didnt pay the increase before we left, it would be on my S&S.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh we had a "mystery" obc our last cruise of 25.00 I think, so maybe this is why.

Good luck and I hope you get a few DOD's with their tax money!!!

Cheers, Carole

Same situation as Dave. A few weeks ago on Carnival Dream, I had all the expected OBC items listed on the in-cabin screen, and then a strange credit for $4.11 (figured it out as tax adjustment).

I spent that quickly with four hits of the slot machine button. :(

is the tax decrease credit automatic or you need to file in the early saver forms?

the Early Saver (and forms) applies only to cruisefare. the Price protection (and filing) doesn't address govt Taxes and fees. ken

Archived