Star Princess -Civitavecchia - Return flights

Tapi

Hi!

Planning the Eastern Mediterranean cruise aboard the Star Princess in November. Ships is scheduled to return to port at 4:00am. The only nonstop flight to Atlanta (where we live) departs at 9:45am from Rome (FCO).

Will we have sufficient time to make this flight? Does Princess post guidelines for departing flights when the passenger is making their own flight arrangements?

Thanks for the input!

Ouch, that is terribly early. Just remember that the ship may be scheduled to dock at 4:00 AM, but you will not be getting off at that time. If I remember correctly, the first group off was around 5:30 AM as we ran into no problems with our ship arriving on time. It can be up to an hour's drive or more from the port to the airport after you claim your luggage, and that is if there aren't any traffic tie ups.

We were flying in first, so our check in and security was a snap for our flight, but if you are planning to fly in economy, the check in process can be quite lengthy.

I don't think I would even chance a flight out of FCO at 9:45 AM. Now, if it were around 11:00 or after, yes, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm on that same trip with my wife, and had the same issue (not going to Atlanta, but Denver via London). We're staying an extra day and flying out the following morning. My TA recommended we stay at the Airport Hilton, which is attached via a walkway to the airport itself, so no shuttle is necessary. It's not horribly expensive that time of the year, and I'd rather spend that money than try to re-arrange a flight.

Booking a flight to the USA using Princess air arrangements they had us with a 10:55AM flight to Chicago, linking from there to Texas. I don't recall us having any spare time at all at the airport.

When you make your own flight arrangements there is a page in the Cruise Personalizer where you enter your flight information and then the next day you will have a response indicating whether that flight is compatible with your cruise. Try this and see what it tells you.

I'm on that same trip with my wife, and had the same issue (not going to Atlanta, but Denver via London). We're staying an extra day and flying out the following morning. My TA recommended we stay at the Airport Hilton, which is attached via a walkway to the airport itself, so no shuttle is necessary. It's not horribly expensive that time of the year, and I'd rather spend that money than try to re-arrange a flight.

We did exactly the same thing on our last trip. The Airport Hilton was perfect for what we needed, we even received a complimentary upgrade to a huge suite since our room was not ready when we arrived after disembarking the ship. And they supplied a shuttle into Rome which dropped you off and picked you up only a few short blocks from the Collesium. Our flight also left quite early the following morning, and we just rolled our bags along the walkway to the elevators (very small elevators so if you have more than one bag each, you will probably have to take seperate elevators), up to the airport level, and off we went to check in.

If you have time to do a bit of looking around, definitely jump on that shuttle, the front desk will supply you with departure times from the hotel, and pick up times where they drop you off by a cute little sidewalk cafe. Enjoy!

We did exactly the same thing on our last trip. The Airport Hilton was perfect for what we needed, we even received a complimentary upgrade to a huge suite since our room was not ready when we arrived after disembarking the ship. And they supplied a shuttle into Rome which dropped you off and picked you up only a few short blocks from the Collesium. Our flight also left quite early the following morning, and we just rolled our bags along the walkway to the elevators (very small elevators so if you have more than one bag each, you will probably have to take seperate elevators), up to the airport level, and off we went to check in.

If you have time to do a bit of looking around, definitely jump on that shuttle, the front desk will supply you with departure times from the hotel, and pick up times where they drop you off by a cute little sidewalk cafe. Enjoy!

Do you know if they offer a shuttle to Ostia Antica? The reason I ask is because we'll be in Rome for four days prior to embarkation, so it's not like we won't have a chance to see the city. I've heard some amazing things about Ostia and I know it's just a couple miles south of the airport. That seems like the perfect way to end a trip that will be filled with antiquities.

Rome Airport is very spread out and security lines are long--particularly if you are flying on an American carrier. The Airport Hilton is a very nice and efficiently run property. As others have said, it is an easy walk to the main terminal. One caveat - if you are flying on United, be sure to allow some extra time as they are located in a new terminal that is not as close to the hotel as where they used to be.

Hi!

Will we have sufficient time to make this flight? Does Princess post guidelines for departing flights when the passenger is making their own flight arrangements?

You or your travel agent can contact Princess and they will tell you the earliest time Princess considers acceptable to book a flight.

If there is a few minutes difference, you will probably be OK. If the flight is more than a few minutes earlier, then you book it at your own risk. Fastest way to get to the airport is to have pre-arranged a private service to meet you at the port.

Agree with above...I booked our trip on the Ocean Princess in Sept 2010 with Princess directly and called to get flight time guidelines as we did air independently and was told "flights our of Rome should not be before 11AM". Our ship also is scheduled to arrive at 4AM.

Thanks for all the responses!

We found a flight that departs Rome at 1:00pm via Paris/Charles De Gaulle. Not the most convenient, but much safer than trying to catch a 9:45am!

Hi Tapi,

I hope your flight via CDG has alot, I repeat, alot of time between connecting flights. CDG is a very large airport with multiple terminals requiring a bus ride between them (unless things have changed)!!

Thanks for the heads up. 2 hours and 10 minute break!

Thanks for all the responses!

We found a flight that departs Rome at 1:00pm via Paris/Charles De Gaulle. Not the most convenient, but much safer than trying to catch a 9:45am!

Just make sure you have a backup plan, in 2007 on the Grand Princess TA she was very late due to extremely bad weather and passengers did not disembark until 1 PM.

Just make sure you have a backup plan, in 2007 on the Grand Princess TA she was very late due to extremely bad weather and passengers did not disembark until 1 PM.

Not likely with this particular itinerary. We're in Naples the day before. Unless something truly crazy happens (like an earthquake, volcano, locusts), there shouldn't be anything that keeps us from docking on time in Civitaveccia. It is Italy, and all of the dock workers could go on strike, so that's a possibility. :D

One thing we ran into with our connection was that our flight left Rome VERY late because of runway congestion (we were told this isn't unusual). We had scheduled two hours in Frankfurt for the connection, but we ended up with only 10 minutes.:eek: We ran like the wind and got to our flight just as the doors were closing on the plane, but we made it.

We're also on Star for 11/10/10 but are spending 3 nights post cruise in Rome. We fly AA on Thanksgiving day leaving @ 12:15 pm through London. Is 2.5 hours at Heathrow doable? We also go through ORD with 1 hr 20 mins there, how will that work out? We usually fly through DFW and have never gone through LHR. We're flying BA to & from LHR connecting w/AA to & from ORD.

We're also on Star for 11/10/10 but are spending 3 nights post cruise in Rome. We fly AA on Thanksgiving day leaving @ 12:15 pm through London. Is 2.5 hours at Heathrow doable? We also go through ORD with 1 hr 20 mins there, how will that work out? We usually fly through DFW and have never gone through LHR. We're flying BA to & from LHR connecting w/AA to & from ORD.

Oh My, that Chicago layover is mighty short. Remember, when you return, you will have to go through customs at your first U.S. airport. Personally, I don't feel 1.5 hours is enough time to collect your bags, go through customs, then make it to your domestic terminal to recheck your bags and get to your next flight. If you keep this schedule, I do wish you the best of luck though. I would definitely have a plan B in effect for you flight out of ORD.

Yes, I am a little concerned about that too. We are staying with AA for the connection and actually booked this trip w/FF miles though them directly. I will have to check if there is a later flight to XNA, but if not, we will spend the night and come home in the AM, not like we have anything else planned.:p

Lynn, the problem is, you will probably need to change terminals. Although staying with the same carrier, you will be going from International to Domestic. Personally, when customs is involved, we never book a flight that gives us less than 2.5 hours after arriving, and more than that if we can get it.

Again, good luck!

That is the last flight to XNA so we will just have plan B ready with carryon's if we have to spend the night and book the morning flight. I have never had that short of time when customs is involved either but we will do what we can and just not get too stressed.

That is the last flight to XNA so we will just have plan B ready with carryon's if we have to spend the night and book the morning flight. I have never had that short of time when customs is involved either but we will do what we can and just not get too stressed.

Great to hear you have a plan B. And taking what you might need in your carry on for an unexpected overnite is the only way to go. But you never know, you just might make it. Again, good luck!

I am going to check w/AA over the weekend to see if there is an earlier flight leaving Rome, we can definitely get up & leave before 12:15. They might have something else. Fingers crossed. Hoping the crowds from Thanksgiving have gone by the time we get to ORD @ 7:30 that evening.

One thing we ran into with our connection was that our flight left Rome VERY late because of runway congestion (we were told this isn't unusual). We had scheduled two hours in Frankfurt for the connection, but we ended up with only 10 minutes.:eek: We ran like the wind and got to our flight just as the doors were closing on the plane, but we made it.

This post made me re-check our connection time in London. I think we're fine with three hours. No connections after that.

Archived